Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-03-2017, 02:35 PM

Default An interesting company position.

You will need to click on the link to see the actual add and apology. Basically the company will not rent Ice shacks unless sport fishing regulations are followed for all user groups.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbur...t-ad-1.3919377

A company promoting ice hut rentals near North Bay, Ont., has sparked controversy over a Kijiji advertisement that said status card holders are not welcome.

"It's just a blatant racist statement," said Les Couchi from Ni****ing First Nation.

"There's no two ways about it."

The post was uploaded by IceHutRentals.ca earlier this week.

The ad originally stated that status card users will lose their deposits and will "not get the time of day."

'Being as ignorant as you can'

"I've seen lots of stuff in my 60 years of existence on the planet, but nothing as overt as this," Couchi said.

Ice hut ad
More text from the original Kijiji ad by the company Ice Hut Rentals.

"This is just ... being as ignorant as you can."

Couchi was notified about the Kijiji ad by Tom, whose last name is being withheld because he fears there will be repercussions for speaking out.

Tom, who lives in the North Bay area, found the post while searching for ice hut rentals on Lake Ni****ing.

"It just blew me away," Tom said.

"I've never seen anything like that posted before."

'Doesn't own the laws and the lake'

The ad has also caught the attention of avid fisherman Sean Voldock from Renfrew County.

Voldock insists the sentiment in the ad does not reflect Ontario's ice fishing community.

"He [company owner] doesn't own the laws and the lake," Voldock said.

"I don't understand his thinking."

Ice Hut Rentals apology
Ice Hut Rentals published an apology on its Facebook page on Tuesday for its "poorly worded Kijiji ad."

'Everyone is welcome at our huts'

The ad has caused a flurry of Facebook activity with many people calling for the company to be shut down or boycotted.

CBC News contacted the company for comment, but did not receive a reply.

An apology was posted on the company's Facebook page on Tuesday afternoon.

"Everyone is welcome at our huts on Sunset Point, Lake Ni****ing," the post said.

"We sincerely apologize for any hurt feelings and confusion our poorly worded ad has caused."
Old 01-03-2017, 02:44 PM

Weather you agree or not companies should have the right to refuse service. If it cost them business then that is the penalty they will pay.

I would assume the advertising they are getting over this has cost them plenty, maybe even their entire ice fishing season.

Lessons can and always have been expensive don't ya think.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:57 PM

There business they should be able to run it how they want. just don't go fishing there another case of hurt feelings
Old 01-03-2017, 03:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
You will need to click on the link to see the actual add and apology. Basically the company will not rent Ice shacks unless sport fishing regulations are followed for all user groups.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbur...t-ad-1.3919377

A company promoting ice hut rentals near North Bay, Ont., has sparked controversy over a Kijiji advertisement that said status card holders are not welcome.

"It's just a blatant racist statement," said Les Couchi from Ni****ing First Nation.

"There's no two ways about it."

The post was uploaded by IceHutRentals.ca earlier this week.

The ad originally stated that status card users will lose their deposits and will "not get the time of day."

'Being as ignorant as you can'

"I've seen lots of stuff in my 60 years of existence on the planet, but nothing as overt as this," Couchi said.

Ice hut ad
More text from the original Kijiji ad by the company Ice Hut Rentals.

"This is just ... being as ignorant as you can."

Couchi was notified about the Kijiji ad by Tom, whose last name is being withheld because he fears there will be repercussions for speaking out.

Tom, who lives in the North Bay area, found the post while searching for ice hut rentals on Lake Ni****ing.

"It just blew me away," Tom said.

"I've never seen anything like that posted before."

'Doesn't own the laws and the lake'

The ad has also caught the attention of avid fisherman Sean Voldock from Renfrew County.

Voldock insists the sentiment in the ad does not reflect Ontario's ice fishing community.

"He [company owner] doesn't own the laws and the lake," Voldock said.

"I don't understand his thinking."

Ice Hut Rentals apology
Ice Hut Rentals published an apology on its Facebook page on Tuesday for its "poorly worded Kijiji ad."

'Everyone is welcome at our huts'

The ad has caused a flurry of Facebook activity with many people calling for the company to be shut down or boycotted.

CBC News contacted the company for comment, but did not receive a reply.

An apology was posted on the company's Facebook page on Tuesday afternoon.

"Everyone is welcome at our huts on Sunset Point, Lake Ni****ing," the post said.

"We sincerely apologize for any hurt feelings and confusion our poorly worded ad has caused."
Apparently Lake N i p i s s i n g is a "swear word" , and needed censoring ,

oh boy, political correctness for the grey masses

I've actually been fishing on that lake, great fishing and no one was ashamed or embarrassed by the name of the lake or whom shared the resources,,,

My God! " can I still say that"? ( God ?) the human race is doomed by its own stupidity !
Old 01-03-2017, 03:14 PM

"It's just a blatant racist statement," said Les Couchi from (a) First Nation.

Understand that the cry of racism is coming from a person who has proven their racial purity to the government. A government which has given them a number proving that racial purity. With that number comes special racial status, special access to our political systems, special access to Canada's resources both monetary and natural.

Les Couchi is a supporter of our Apartheid system that segregated people by race, not just for where they can live, but what rules and laws apply to them.

YET they call those who are against Canada's Apartheid system racists, those who think all Canadians should be equal at least when it comes our governments and their institutions "ignorant".

There are those in Canada (the majority) who support Canada's Apartheid polices and those who don't (a minority) but it is clear to every thinking person which group contains the racists.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitumen Bullet View Post
"It's just a blatant racist statement," said Les Couchi from (a) First Nation.

Understand that the cry of racism is coming from a person who has proven their racial purity to the government. A government which has given them a number proving that racial purity. With that number comes special racial status, special access to our political systems, special access to Canada's resources both monetary and natural.

Les Couchi is a supporter of our Apartheid system that segregated people by race, not just for where they can live, but what rules and laws apply to them.

YET they call those who are against Canada's Apartheid system racists, those who think all Canadians should be equal at least when it comes our governments and their institutions "ignorant".

There are those in Canada (the majority) who support Canada's Apartheid polices and those who don't (a minority) but it is clear to every thinking person which group contains the racists.

Racial purity??? Is there such a thing??
Old 01-03-2017, 05:30 PM

He sure worded that add very poorly. I think his intent was clear and his apology is damage control.

However, he should be able to request that the regulations of the lake as far as limits and what you can keep be followed by all customers. I think that's as far as he can go legally though.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
There business they should be able to run it how they want.
within limits and without discrimination. Business don't get to decide, for example, that they don't want to do business with (or hire) blacks, or natives, or people with red hair. If a company is renting something that is being used for a legal purpose and the item is no more at risk than if it was rented to someone else, I don't think the company has, or should have, a leg to stand on.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:52 PM

Lots of racist people with rental businesses would just look at the brown face and say "sorry no rentals left right now". It happens all the time.

Maybe it isn't just racist, could be prejudiced too....against hippies or old folks....
Old 01-03-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
He sure worded that add very poorly. I think his intent was clear and his apology is damage control.

However, he should be able to request that the regulations of the lake as far as limits and what you can keep be followed by all customers. I think that's as far as he can go legally though.
I agree with the regulations and limits should be followed by all customers. It is a business.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:15 PM

The ice hut rental company has no legal obligation to ensure any renters are complying with fish and wildlife laws...or any laws for that matter. It's none of their business.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
The ice hut rental company has no legal obligation to ensure any renters are complying with fish and wildlife laws...or any laws for that matter. It's none of their business.
If these are winter shacks that the owner sets up in one location for the winter and doesn't move them it would affect his business. If you have a few consecutive groups with status rights that keep a very large quantity of fish, the quality of fishing at the spot could get worse for the following clients who may then not return in future years.

Enforcing limits or size restrictions above and beyond the provincial mandated limits is something hunting outfitters do all the time in order to manage herds and ensure the best future trophies for their clients. There's nothing wrong with it.

The only issue I have is that the owner was blatantly racist about it. Just say lake limits are enforced in order to preserve the best opportunities for all clients renting the shacks.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:26 PM

As an add on to my previous point, I was looking at fishing outfitters recommended on the fly in thread and some of them have catch and release only policies out of their lodges.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:51 PM

Default Fishing

Meanwhile back in alberta
Old 01-05-2017, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingaddict View Post
Meanwhile back in alberta
This is applicable to Alberta. Down with the nichi rights! All Canadians must be equal!

The company owner is free to offer his services to a particular target group. If it excludes card holding "stewards of the land" then it's their prerogative...
Old 01-05-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
This is applicable to Alberta. Down with the nichi rights! All Canadians must be equal!

The company owner is free to offer his services to a particular target group. If it excludes card holding "stewards of the land" then it's their prerogative...
IIRC status natives must follow the Alberta fishing regulations if angling which would include ice fishing
Cat
Old 01-05-2017, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
IIRC status natives must follow the Alberta fishing regulations if angling which would include ice fishing
Cat
Yesterday I spoke to a treaty native who was quite insistent on the "fact" that natives can fish wherever, whatever and without limits. I know that commercial native fisheries were shut down a couple of years ago. I wonder if they have re-opened. Makes me wonder if "subsistence hunters" are considered anglers. I was offered to illegally buy some native caught fish (nets, not rods) from Alberta, a week ago... Walleye at 2.5$ per pound.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Yesterday I spoke to a treaty native who was quite insistent on the "fact" that natives can fish wherever, whatever and without limits. I know that commercial native fisheries were shut down a couple of years ago. I wonder if they have re-opened. Makes me wonder if "subsistence hunters" are considered anglers. I was offered to illegally buy some native caught fish (nets, not rods) from Alberta, a week ago... Walleye at 2.5$ per pound.
He does not know the law .
I know of an instance where a status native was charged and convicted for fishing over the limit with s rod and reel up here
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-05-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:

Nope, it's a violation of Canadian Human Rights laws and could potentially get them into a huge legal boondoggle.....not a smart move.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I hope you reported the seller...
Old 01-05-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Nope, it's a violation of Canadian Human Rights laws and could potentially get them into a huge legal boondoggle.....not a smart move.
Have to agree with this whole heartedly
To refuse a person a shack because of race creed or colour is not correct
Cat
Old 01-05-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Have to agree with this whole heartedly
To refuse a person a shack because of race creed or colour is not correct
Cat
I totally agree that you can't refuse a person a shack based on race; however, as a business owner you should have the right to enforce your own rules or guidelines that aren't discriminatory (unfair to one customer vs. another). For example you can't discriminate and refuse to rent a property to young people, but you can have a no party rule or no guests after 11 pm rule in order to protect your investment even though parties and guests aren't illegal.

Discriminating against the First Nations individuals and not allowing them to rent is wrong. Enforcing your own limit rules is not wrong in my opinion. But that's just my opinion and I'm probably wrong.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:03 PM

Forgot to add to my last post that the FN would need to have the same limits as every other customer and therefore their wouldn't be any discrimination in regards to renting the shack.

Out of curiosity what are peoples stance on if you were a landowner and gave permission to a FN to harvest one deer/moose on your property. Would that be infringing on his/her rights?
Old 01-06-2017, 12:20 AM
Banned

How could that infringe on their rights when it says right in the act that in order for an Indian to hunt on private land they must have permission and follow all regulations according to the game they are hunting. It also says that they must follow all regulations regarding the harvesting of migratory birds including seasons and limits. It's right in the regulations.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:34 AM

Interesting that they said that anyone who rents their shacks need to follow the fishing laws even if they have a status card. Seems like they jumped from the pan to the fire potentially. I have no clue how the status laws would afect a statment like that and not having one myself i dont really need to. Anyway seems like whoever is doing their writing needs to be fired and fast. I dont like racism of any type your entiteled to your opinion but thats where it ends.