Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-15-2016, 04:50 PM

Default Puerto Vallarta

We are heading down to PV over new years and was just wondering if anyone can recommend any charters? Im interested in both inshore and offshore. What can one expect to catch that time of year?
Old 12-15-2016, 05:48 PM

the wifie and me went last feb. and i went out 1 day with mike's charters. $300. for 8 hours, it was a shared charter and we were 6 in total. i did some research and was warned that we'd be asked if we wanted to fish "inshore" or try for big stuff. turns out almost everybody says OOH! BIG STUFF!! the trouble with that is all you do all day is troll. they should emphasize that big stuff don't bite very often. we caught 1 mahi-mahi (small) and a couple of 5 pound skipjacks. inshore fishing is dropping a line and fishing kind of like we fish for walleye. the chance of getting a marlin is slim but grouper and tuna are not un common.
next time i'll find one of the local dudes with a panga and do it right!
Old 12-16-2016, 07:57 AM

We fished last year on a beauty of a boat called La Cindy. We were off shore trolling, like posted above the fishing was slow for the big fish, we managed 1 mahi mahi and a 450 lb marlin. Awesome day on the boat. for 4 of us it was $800 US plus tip for the marlin.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:17 PM
Banned

I had a estimated 650 lb blue marlin latch onto a bait in PV,there are big ones there for sure depending on the month of course. Cabo is exc for all fishing,my wife and friend went a month ago and there was a 618lb marlin hanging at the marina Costa Rica was my fave but Dominican (3 marlin on at once)and St.Lucia were also good.I use Victor of Victours in CR every time,he also does a croc tour where he feeds them and you can too.The biggest (18')one he fed for 20yrsVictor usually sets up on the beach out front of the 2 RIU'S IN THE Guanacaste area.He puts us onto bill fish every time.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:07 PM

i dug through my stuff i brought last year and found a card from a guy who does a smaller and cheaper charter, it's fishing with alberto. i bumped into him on the beach and he said they caught a big tuna that morning, i could have gone with him solo for about what i payed with mike.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by el sparko View Post
i dug through my stuff i brought last year and found a card from a guy who does a smaller and cheaper charter, it's fishing with alberto. i bumped into him on the beach and he said they caught a big tuna that morning, i could have gone with him solo for about what i payed with mike.
Never believe what they say,go to the marina at 4-5pm and watch the fish come in then hire a boat.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:00 PM

that's a very good idea! the guy i met on the beach was busy washing the blood out of his boat and that's how the conversation started. going to the marina would be an awesome idea as well, and not only do you get to see their catch you also can talk to the fishermen that went out and see how the trip went.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBATTEREDBEER View Post
Never believe what they say,go to the marina at 4-5pm and watch the fish come in then hire a boat.
good point, watch for the boats with the fish flags flying when they come into the marina, they are the ones that caught that day
Old 12-16-2016, 04:09 PM

If you have a chance and enjoy Bass fishing also check out Lake Cajon de Pena. The Bass fishing was simply unreal and unexpected... Its a short drive with charter from Jalisco...

Do a lot of shore fishing when in PV, catch some amazing stuff both on shore and where the river meets the ocean... Also always a Pango looking to get out for inshore stuff by Isles de Mulheres

have fun and good luck
Old 12-16-2016, 09:23 PM

Fishing rebels! Check them out on trip advisor.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:46 PM

Default ..

Cool
Old 12-19-2016, 07:14 PM

I fish PV all the time. Try Ariel on the calypso or manuel on the Viking. Have had great success with both. Usually charge me 450 canadian for eight hours on a 26 foot pag. Boat is yours and don't have to share. Charge more to go further for marlin. Both are very well known by the locals. You can google either they are both on Facebook as well. I've never fished in Jan but they will tell you whats running.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
We are heading down to PV over new years and was just wondering if anyone can recommend any charters? Im interested in both inshore and offshore. What can one expect to catch that time of year?
let us know when you get back
four of us going next month
anyone take a rod down & shore fish near the resorts?
what type of lures,line etc.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:30 AM

Just got back today. Went out with Carlos on the Viking. Cost me 350usd for 6 hours, could take up to 4 people. Just me and my fiancé went out and got 3 jack crevalle and lost 4 others. It was a slow day apparently. We had a great time and have never had a fight like those jacks.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORV View Post
let us know when you get back
four of us going next month
anyone take a rod down & shore fish near the resorts?
what type of lures,line etc.
we stayed at krystals and i brought along a 3 piece rod and reel to try shore fishing. i watched to locals and asked what they were using and they used little pieces of raw shrimp on one or two hooks above a heavy sinker kind of like a walleye rig.
i had a ball fishing with these guys, they wanted any little fish i caught to take home for their ninos i caught a lot of doritos and a few blowfish and one decent sting ray! fishing in the surf in february was a blast!
Old 01-08-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el sparko View Post
we stayed at krystals and i brought along a 3 piece rod and reel to try shore fishing. i watched to locals and asked what they were using and they used little pieces of raw shrimp on one or two hooks above a heavy sinker kind of like a walleye rig.
i had a ball fishing with these guys, they wanted any little fish i caught to take home for their ninos i caught a lot of doritos and a few blowfish and one decent sting ray! fishing in the surf in february was a blast!
no doubt! did you put your rod in your suitcase?
three piece is a great idea. I have to see if I can find mine.
would a telescopic work? they are not very heavy

thanks

Orv.