Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-19-2013, 07:43 PM

Default Gear ratio for Baitcaster

I am looking at getting a low profile baitcaster to fish for walleye and pike. I am trying to decide what gear ratio to go for 6.4:1 or 7:1. I am leaning toward the high speed ratio. I like the idea of being able to burn baits and take up slack quickly. I know I will lose torque but I don't think I really use the reel to crank the fish in. I think the rod and drag system are used to fight the fish and the reel is used to pick up the slack. There is not that much difference between the two gear ratios (about 2 inches per crank). I am not that knowledgeable about baitcasters and am interested in hearing other views on this topic.

Thanks
Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 PM

You are correct - there isn't a significant difference there.

A bigger question is what brand and model of bait caster you are considering. There are some significant differences there.

A decent bait caster starts at about $100.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
You are correct - there isn't a significant difference there.

A bigger question is what brand and model of bait caster you are considering. There are some significant differences there.

A decent bait caster starts at about $100.

Thanks for the confirmation. I have done quite a bit of research. There is a dizzying amount of choice out there. I am looking to spend about $100. The reel I have settled on is the Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier. It has been very favourably reviewed. On the PBS website it has a 4.7 out of 5 star rating with over 600 reviews. I really like the dual braking system (magnetic and centripetal).

I am also interested to hear positive and negative reviews of reels. I am looking for best value for about a hundred bucks.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:52 PM

If I had $100 to spend on one it'd be this one...

http://www.basspro.com/Shimano-Caena...duct/10219064/

Hands Down!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:53 PM

^ that's the one I'm eyeballing. Looks nice.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
If I had $100 to spend on one it'd be this one...

http://www.basspro.com/Shimano-Caena...duct/10219064/

Hands Down!
Another vote for the Shimano Caenan...I have two of them now and love them

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-20-2013, 03:45 AM
Banned

cant go wrong with the ambaseder.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:53 AM

In my experience, while yhe bass pro brand looks and seems nice. They are pretty junky, level wind will probably go first and so on and so on. They will work for a while but they're not the best made. Just my opinion. Spend a few bucks more and grab a shimano or Abu Garcia.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:04 AM
Banned

What does the gear ratio mean? The 7:1 is 7" per I full turn, but what would 6:4:1 be?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
What does the gear ratio mean? The 7:1 is 7" per I full turn, but what would 6:4:1 be?
I *think* (scary, I know! ) that it means the spool does 7 rotations for every turn of the handle, though I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-20-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
I think you meant 6.4 to 1 not 6:4 to 1.

The ratio refers to how many times the spool turns per handle crank not how many inches, as the inches will vary depending on the diameter of the spool with line on it. Example I have one reel that brings in 34 inches of line per handle turn but it's ratio is a 6.3:1. Also if you have allot of line on the spool then the diameter will be larger and you will bring in much more line per handle turn compared to the same spool with less line on it.

Hope that helped

Last edited by cube; 03-20-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
I *think* (scary, I know! ) that it means the spool does 7 rotations for every turn of the handle, though I'm not 100% sure on that one.
Yup your right geezle.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
I think you meant 6.4 to 1 not 6:4 to 1.

The ratio refers to how many times the spool turns per handle crank not how many inches, as the inches will vary depending on the diameter of the spool with line on it. Example I have one reel that brings in 34 inches of line per handle turn but it's ratio is a 6.3:1. Also if you have allot of line on the spool then the diameter will be larger and you will bring in much more line per handle turn compared to the same spool with less line on it.

Hope that helped
It did actually, thank you. Lower gear ratio is more torque.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:55 AM

yup thats correct, my big reels are alot lower than my low profiles
Old 03-20-2013, 01:54 PM

The Shimano is a great choice .....

Here is another option from Abu Garcia ....

http://www.abugarcia.com/products/re...s/orra/orra-sx

Abu Garcia may sound like an east indian / hispanic brand of reel - but it's engineered by the Swedish ..... who make nice stuff.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The Shimano is a great choice .....

Here is another option from Abu Garcia ....

http://www.abugarcia.com/products/re...s/orra/orra-sx

Abu Garcia may sound like an east indian / hispanic brand of reel - but it's engineered by the Swedish ..... who make nice stuff.
I like the Revo Torro. Very nice looking reel.

ABU Garcia, originally A B Urfabriken, They purchased Garcia tackle company USA in 1980.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:32 PM

Great info, thanks for all the responses. The Caenan has also been getting great reviews. But it seems that you get more bang for your buck with the Pro Qualifier.

Has anyone bought a high speed reel and regretted it? The only down side I can think of is it may be a struggle reeling in bigger baits.

Thanks again for the comments.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoo View Post
Great info, thanks for all the responses. The Caenan has also been getting great reviews. But it seems that you get more bang for your buck with the Pro Qualifier.

Has anyone bought a high speed reel and regretted it? The only down side I can think of is it may be a struggle reeling in bigger baits.

Thanks again for the comments.
High speed reel vs. big fish is about the only regret you'll have. They're also not the greatest if you're fishing flowing water and the fish escapes into the current. Lot more work for the drag. Other then the few instances where the fish/current out torques you I love them. Allows more finesse since you don't have to crank as much when they come in. If you do find yourself horsing them in, the lower torque will let the fish run easier I would think and reduce stress where the hook has punctured.

What am I saying. I love the high speed reels for when the fishing is slow and I can just rip my lures back in to move to a different spot.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 03-22-2013, 12:07 PM

Has anyone using a high speed reel had any problems reeling in large crankbaits or large spinnerbaits?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:28 PM

Shouldn't have issues with reeling in larger baits/lures. Just need to make sure your drag is properly adjusted.

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 03-22-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
Shouldn't have issues with reeling in larger baits/lures. Just need to make sure your drag is properly adjusted.
Thanks for the feedback. I read a few articles that indicated that high speed reels would not be suitable for large crank baits and spinner baits. but it didn't make sense that the mediun speed reels that take in about 26 inches of line per crank were that much different than the high speed reels taking in about 29 inches. It only adds up to about 10% difference. I guess that is the dilemma of having too much choice.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:58 PM

The main issue, I believe, is the torque difference. High torque and heavier load will make you reel against the drag more often. If you are intending on using larger baits with this reel I would go with a 6.4:1 vs. a 7:1. Use the right equipment for the job and you'll have no issues. It's like buying a jacket for vacation. If you're going north you don't want a light wind breaker, and if you're going south you don't want a parka. If you want to rip small lures/top water baits get a high speed retrieve, if you want larger baits and slower presentation go with a slow or medium speed.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Has anyone using a high speed reel had any problems reeling in large crankbaits or large spinnerbaits?
Nope, and I throw some big stuff

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 03-22-2013, 01:12 PM

the difference i think on a reel as small as say the caenan, i would think would be minimal.

if the reel is say 1" in diameter, the difference in line retrieval between a 6.4:1 and 7:1 is one inch per turn.

on a larger diameter reel, say 3", the difference is much larger. the difference is 8.5" per turn.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Nope, and I throw some big stuff
me too - I throw some ridiculous big cranks sometimes and have no issues.

I'm thinking of buying that 20" novelty Rapala and using it too - lol.

I don't see much of difference in my 7:1 vs my 5.5:1 reels - maybe a few inches faster per turn - if it bothers you ..... reel slower .....lol.

If your drag is set at, say 40%-50%, you should not have any issues. If you need to pick-up line in a hurry ..... the higher ratio help a little.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Yes! Not so much with the cranks unless they are big very deep divers but the big double colorado blade spinners pull like crazy. If your planning on casting those you might want to get the lower ratio reel.

Have fun with which ever reel you get
Old 03-22-2013, 04:42 PM

Whatever turns your crank.

Or you can buy a reel that is 2 speed.

6.1 and 3.8 Shifts on their own. Abu Garcia. Wont trade them for anything.

Not sure if they still make em.

Checking.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:45 PM

Doesn't look like it. But didn't check to hard.

ebay maybe?

Ps yes I am a fan of Abu Garcia bait casters.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:01 PM

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/cont...tta_TE_DC.html shimano calcutta te200dc ,a little more than $100 but you will never need another one.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Doesn't look like it. But didn't check to hard.

ebay maybe?

Ps yes I am a fan of Abu Garcia bait casters.
Me too - my favorite reels. I checked the website and the variable speed retrieve really sounded like the greatest thing on the planet - but it looks like it is no longer available or not available in the small or mid sized models - maybe something on their super size salt water stuff perhaps.

I was ready to throw down some cash !!!! you had me at hello on this one ....