Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2013, 06:13 PM

Default MirroCraft Boats!

Well went to the Boat&sportsman show and looked at boats as the wife hinted she might not have a problem with me replacing my oldone. The best deals I could see were on the MirroCraft boats. I was wondering, if anyone owns a MirroCraft boat or knows someone that does and what they think of them? I was looking at the MirroCraft Holiday 1628 with a 60hp mercury, as it is a multiuse boat that would cover fishing and tubing/cruising with the family and friends.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:24 PM

Have you looked at the Lund 1625 XL Fury - the packages are about $14,000.

I'd suggest that would be a premium quality choice in this size and relative price range.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Have you looked at the Lund 1625 XL Fury - the packages are about $14,000.

I'd suggest that would be a premium quality choice in this size and relative price range.
Sorry but I think that price is wrong, all the Lund 1625 XL Fury, that I could find listed in Alberta were in the $22,000 CND price range, the $14,000 is the USD price, unless you know a dealer in the Edmonton area that sells them for the price you listed. $22,000 is more than I wanted to spend, while $14,000 is more in my price range and what they quoted me at the show for the MarroCraft.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:45 PM

Kevin's Marine was just shy of $19k on the 1625 Fury XL Sport (60hp fully equipped), and from what I gather they tend to be quite competitive price wise.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:56 PM

Sorry looking for a place in the Edmonton area, don't feel like driving to Kevin's Marine in Saskatchewan for a boat.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:08 PM

Go south!! Make a road trip with the wifey!
think about it this way - $14,000 plus GST at Border - $14,700. Plus import fee ~$200.
Base price under $15,000. If you buy it in Washington or Oregon, you pay no state tax.
Factor in your trip down there. 2 nights in a fancy hotel, meals, fuel, another $1,000 - $1,500 (you could do it for way cheaper without the wife).

So you're looking at $16,000 ish.
Still a big savings when looking at Alberta price of $22,000.

I've imported boats from down south more than once. Piece of CAKE!!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsonfisherman View Post
Sorry looking for a place in the Edmonton area, don't feel like driving to Kevin's Marine in Saskatchewan for a boat.
Its not "a boat", its a Lund. You'd be spending a couple grand more for essentially the best boat you could get, a very reputable company. And the resale value would be there. And if the boat you are looking at is $14000 ish here in Alberta, what is the cost in Saskatchewan?

The Mirrocraft is a nice looking rig.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't pointing it out as an option but more so validating your point about the higher cost even at a place with good pricing.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin'fool View Post
think about it this way - $14,000 plus GST at Border - $14,700. Plus import fee ~$200.
Base price under $15,000. If you buy it in Washington or Oregon, you pay no state tax.
Factor in your trip down there. 2 nights in a fancy hotel, meals, fuel, another $1,000 - $1,500 (you could do it for way cheaper without the wife).

What is the warranty like after import?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:

I think you are correct, if you want to go through that - but I bet you would be surprised what dealers will do on discounts if you play correctly with them.

In January, I purchased my boat on par with US prices. Exchange has moved up since then, bit I'd imagine you could get one for a lot less than their initial quote.

Some quotes, like the silly crooks who run a Lund dealership south of Calgary quoted me a final price $18,000 higher than what I ended up paying for up here with the dealer I ended up awarding my business to. The specification for the boat, model, motor and options were IDENTICAL.

5 dealers participated. Initial Prices Ranged from $59,000 to $48,000. Final submissions, after several rounds of negotiation, ended up with me upgrading to a Honda engine (add $2000) and paying in the high 30's for my boat.

Keep in mind this is on a ~$40,000 boat. The amount of savings, of course, will be proportionate to the MSRP price for your model.

Based on this alone, you might be pretty close to where you need to be.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Right on bro, just imported a boat yesterday, had it brought up from a dealer in Vegas to Shelby using U-ship for $1000. Spent about 20 min. at the border, got some cheap booze, paid the duty. We were in Montana for just over an hour. Easy.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshu View Post
Right on bro, just imported a boat yesterday, had it brought up from a dealer in Vegas to Shelby using U-ship for $1000. Spent about 20 min. at the border, got some cheap booze, paid the duty. We were in Montana for just over an hour. Easy.
You bought the boat and the driver picked it up at the dealer for you then brought it to Montana?

What's your warranty like?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:53 AM

The boat was used from a dealer.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:55 PM

While you all make good points, I would rather get a boat from a dealer in Edmonton or surrounding area. I have still been looking at the Mirrocraft, but also the Crestliner has also caught my eye. The Lunds are a really nice boats but are way more than I want to spend, and going into the states for a better deal is more than I want to do. Can anyone recommend a dealer for eather of these two makes of boats?, and if you have experience with them what did you like/not like about them?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
While you all make good points, I would rather get a boat from a dealer in Edmonton or surrounding area. I have still been looking at the Mirrocraft, but also the Crestliner has also caught my eye. The Lunds are a really nice boats but are way more than I want to spend, and going into the states for a better deal is more than I want to do. Can anyone recommend a dealer for eather of these two makes of boats?, and if you have experience with them what did you like/not like about them?
Check out cars rv and marine in Leduc
Old 03-21-2013, 09:25 AM

Free Spirit Marine in Edmonton for the Crestliner. Talk to Thane. He is a great guy. I don't know where you would buy a mirrocraft though. If you are considering the Crestliner you should maybe throw Alumacraft into the mix as well. They are also well crafted boats IMO.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swath View Post
Free Spirit Marine in Edmonton for the Crestliner. Talk to Thane. He is a great guy. I don't know where you would buy a mirrocraft though. If you are considering the Crestliner you should maybe throw Alumacraft into the mix as well. They are also well crafted boats IMO.
There are 2 MirroCraft dealers in Edmonton Marine Maddness and Europa Canopy and Marine Ltd. I will also look at Alumacraft.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 AM

I just bought a Crestliner at the boat show from Thane. He was awesome to deal with and very good price compared to the website msrp. I was looking at the Alumacraft as well. They seem really well built, but on the model I was looking at (dominator) the live well were way too small.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 AM

Yeah I saw that too. If I recall correctly, you need the navigator to get a decent live well. It's huge too if memory serves right.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptemomo View Post
I just bought a Crestliner at the boat show from Thane. He was awesome to deal with and very good price compared to the website msrp. I was looking at the Alumacraft as well. They seem really well built, but on the model I was looking at (dominator) the live well were way too small.
What was the pricing like on the Crestliners?, also Alumacraft if anyone knows? I am looking to replace my 16.5' (1970) Glastron swinger, as it is a fiberglass boat and I wanted a aluminum boat around the same size that wasent going to break the bank.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:13 PM

A well stocked 16.5 footer is gonna run you around $22-24k with a 115hp 2stroke.

I just priced the Crestliner 1650 Superhawk witha 115 merc, galv trailer with spare, 2 extra seats, stereo, tilt steering with hydraulic and a full standup top and it came in at $23,000 from Free Spirit.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:31 PM

Check this out before you regret your decision ..... yes ......you might pay a little more for a far superior boat .....

http://www.lundboats.com/boats/2013-aluminum/fury-xl

The US prices are 5% lower based on exchange - I bet getting 10%-15% off would not be a stretch ....
Old 03-21-2013, 06:04 PM

1600 Fish Hawk rated up to 75 hp. All of the 1625 Fury but Cliner with more Std features. High quality boat and less expensive.

Then you would have a superior boat.

PS hull is thicker on Cliner between these 2 boats And they look gooood.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
there are 2 mirrocraft dealers in edmonton marine maddness and europa canopy and marine ltd. I will also look at alumacraft.
do not go to marine maddness if you want a good BOAT, i repeat do not go to marine maddness.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:21 PM

Default Depends?

I have a smaller Mirrocraft - 14' with some customization for our needs. I bought it all new, and since I don't use it a lot of days each year, it didn't make sense to spend the extra (30-40%? at the time) for a Lund/Princecraft/Alumacraft. Also, I needed everything short enough to store in my garage. And we like to go to some pretty remote places with no "fancy" boat launch set-ups, so it is small enough to "wrestle" into the water with just 3-4 people (sometimes we have had to "take it all apart and reassemble" as to the heavy parts to get it in and out). It is fine, but quality-wise, frankly, it is "no Lund".
If I was going to use the boat for "big water", or more than 15-20 days a year, or I was concerned about resale value (if you might trade up or down in a few years), I would spend the extra on a Lund or equivalent.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
1600 Fish Hawk rated up to 75 hp. All of the 1625 Fury but Cliner with more Std features. High quality boat and less expensive.

Then you would have a superior boat.

PS hull is thicker on Cliner between these 2 boats And they look gooood.
Good boat for sure but you might be comparing apples to oranges

1) Fish-hawk 1600 does not come as a walk thru

2) Prices quoted for the 1600 are based on 40hp

Fish-hawk 1650 with walk thru. with a 60 hp is over $17,000

This may not be a fair comparison .....

Besides a 2075 Pro V with a 225 Verado is better than a fish hawk .....

Don't get me wrong - Crestliners are great boats - they are definitely the runners up .........

The rebel with a double plated bottom (which is thicker than the fish-hawk) is a better comparison - to be fair to the OP.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Good boat for sure but you might be comparing apples to oranges

1) Fish-hawk 1600 does not come as a walk thru

2) Prices quoted for the 1600 are based on 40hp

Fish-hawk 1650 with walk thru. with a 60 hp is over $17,000

This may not be a fair comparison .....

Besides a 2075 Pro V with a 225 Verado is better than a fish hawk .....

Don't get me wrong - Crestliners are great boats - they are definitely the runners up .........

The rebel with a double plated bottom (which is thicker than the fish-hawk) is a better comparison - to be fair to the OP.
Only because of the 225 Veradolol
Old 03-21-2013, 07:40 PM

Just to add my two cents, I was pricing out a1825 Pro Guide with a 90 Merc - 9000.00 cheaper in Sask than my local dealer! I ended up buying a 1875 Pro V for 7000.00 less than buying locally. You need to shop around, I did and now I can rig my new unit up with all the goodies one could ever want with the money I saved.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Check this out before you regret your decision ..... yes ......you might pay a little more for a far superior boat .....

http://www.lundboats.com/boats/2013-aluminum/fury-xl

The US prices are 5% lower based on exchange - I bet getting 10%-15% off would not be a stretch ....
Just because a boat has the name LUND on it does not make it a more superior boat.

There is plenty of brands that are at the same level as a Lund.

You are pushing Lunds so hard I would think you were a salesman.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Just because a boat has the name LUND on it does not make it a more superior boat.

There is plenty of brands that are at the same level as a Lund.

You are pushing Lunds so hard I would think you were a salesman.
I am no Lund saleman - lol.

I have zero to gain here - lol.

Not sure why you are raging here and continue to troll my post and repeated try to incite a reaction.

I am trying to help out the OP with an honest sincere opinion.

If you don't think a Lund is a far superior boat to a Mirrocraft just say so - I'd like to see you put that one in writing ......

I think, once your blindness from your rage subsides, you will see I mentioned on many occasions, that there are many premium quality brands out there.

Maybe just scroll up a little ......lol

Take a deep breath ......it will all be OK soon ......lol