Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-08-2017, 08:03 PM

Yes I suppose your right it's not such a good idea after all, just think what could happen to the first guy that walks through the door with a cranial plate, or some Gal with a polarized IUD. We better rethink this whole notion before it goes viral. D.H.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
Yes I suppose your right it's not such a good idea after all, just think what could happen to the first guy that walks through the door with a cranial plate, or some Gal with a polarized IUD. We better rethink this whole notion before it goes viral. D.H.
Depends on the gal I suppose. But been happily married for 40 years. Such a search wouldn't go too well with the missus. Yup. we're best to re-think that one....LOL.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:51 PM

I just inherited a Mohawk brown Nylon 66 and it appears to be quite intact with no damage to the noted problem charging handle. The link Cat provided also had a serial number chart and this one seems to be from April 1969. I'm looking forward to getting out with it this summer.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:06 PM

I remember seeing Nylons for sale in the mid 70s at Woolco. They sold for under $100 I believe. Recently Ive seen examples go for $395!!!!
Old 07-10-2017, 07:35 PM

Another gun that you couldn't give away at the time.
Wish I hadn't passed on the opportunities to buy the ones I came across now.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I had one for a while, jammed a lot, constantly pulling the cover to get brass out of it. Turned me off ever buying another autoloader .22.
I had one growing up. It was the reddish/brown version. It would also jam when firing those cone head bullets (hornets?) and practically bend the bullet right out/off the brass.

I found feeding it "standard" ammo would cure this nuisance. Nothing like putting a gopher on the run and having the gun jam on you.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:28 PM

Default U mean........

Remington Yellow Jackets?
Old 07-23-2017, 03:23 PM
Banned

Default Nylon 66 reassembled.

After receiving a new charging handle, I've assembled the Apache Black. All internal parts were cleaned and polished. The receiver was cracked. Likely not from field use, but from someone taking it apart and applying too much pressure on the stock. There are two cross-bolts which thread into a square nut, fore and aft of the receiver. These are meant to reinforce the stock when the gun is apart. If you plan to dismantle your Nylon 66, I recommend that you leave those in. In any case, the crack in mine is superbly repaired. I've made up 2 pins from spring steel that look like a staple. Epoxied them in place with a good 2 part epoxy. Good as new. I just came in from test firing. Wow, this thing puts rounds through it faster than you can say "bang".

Old 07-23-2017, 09:45 PM

Default Nylin 66

Great little gun grew up with one and not sure what Dad did with it. Shot a lot of rabbits and what ever. Hang onto it you won't be disappointed
Old 07-24-2017, 08:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck12 View Post
Great little gun grew up with one and not sure what Dad did with it. Shot a lot of rabbits and what ever. Hang onto it you won't be disappointed
I understand where you're coming from buck12, as far a hanging on to it. But it was never intended as a keeper. I acquired it so that I could learn the internal mechanics of it. I've had to re-crown the muzzle, and repair the cracked stock. It therefore has lost "collector value". When I put it up for sale, I will certainly consider that.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:45 AM
Banned

Most of us have lost our "collector value", but still manage to carry on.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Most of us have lost our "collector value", but still manage to carry on.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I recently picked up one of these, on trade for some work on another firearm. Never been interested in owning one myself, but it peaked my interest primarily to learn it's internal mechanism. Mine is an Apache Black or Black Diamond model. Apparently these guns will continue to shoot and cycle even when horribly dirty and gummed up. Well, the previous owner took that for all it's worth as this thing was so dirty internally that it took 2 sessions of ultrasonic bath cleaning to get the internal parts cleaned up. Otherwise though, it looks to be in good shape. I've seen a couple or so at gun shows, and they seem to have a following of collectors. When I get this one back together, I'll probably sell it unless it really impresses me as another potential rimfire to my current collection.
I remember seeing them for sale in the Sears catalogue!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 07-24-2017, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinawalli View Post
Oh boy! does that ever date you.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinawalli View Post
I gave each of my boys two sears catalogs, still in wrapper from the years they were born in. As a keepsake.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-24-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I just inherited a Mohawk brown Nylon 66 and it appears to be quite intact with no damage to the noted problem charging handle. The link Cat provided also had a serial number chart and this one seems to be from April 1969. I'm looking forward to getting out with it this summer.
Like others here, the Nylon 66 was my first 22, given to me by an uncle. I shot more gophers with that thing than i can count, if I remember correctly it liked winchester wildcats.

There is an article about the 66 in this months "Shooting Times" magazine which is worth checking out!