Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-13-2017, 01:50 PM

Default Stockingfoot waders crushing my feet

I recently bought my first pair of breathable stockingfoot waders. They feel fine walking around out of the water, but everytime I get in past my knees and especially down to my waist it feels like the water pressure is crushing my feet to a pulp making it extremely uncomfortable. I thought at first it was the boots because I just got some cheap hikers to wear with the stocking feet, but no... I took one of the boots completely off underwater and found out that just the neoprene itself is crushing my feet. My feet literally ache from the pressure after a couple hours and I have to stop fishing. Anyone else experience this? I can wade around all day in just pants and some shoes and I don't have this pressure issue at all. Thinking of going with bootfoot waders, but the lady at Bass Pro said I'd be lucky if I got one season out of them because they're prone to leaks at the boot joint. I'm thinking this was an exaggeration and I'm not a guide who's out fishing every day for 8 hours. Decent bootfoot waders should last a few years for the casual user I would think. Am I wrong?
Old 07-13-2017, 03:02 PM

I can't speak to the sock waders, but I've got a pair of Neoprene bootfoot waders (Cabela's brand) and they are great! They haven't worn out, and I've been using them for three years, no leaks!
Old 07-13-2017, 03:23 PM

I'm thinking of getting the Redhead neoprene bootfoot waders from Bass Pro. They got a lot of really good reviews. So many guys say neoprene waders are too hot in the summer, but I won't be doing much walking since I live right close to the Red Deer river where I'll be fishing with these and I can wear shorts underneath. I do most of my fishing in the late evening and early morning anyways. I don't bother fishing in the heat of mid day.

...but if that's the way stockingfoot waders normally feel on the feet...crushing the life out of them...(unless there is something else going on with these waders...sizing issue or something??) then screw that. I don't want numb feet everytime I step in the river. I'll get these instead...

http://m.basspro.com/RedHead-Classic...duct/10209217/
Old 07-13-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
I can't speak to the sock waders, but I've got a pair of Neoprene bootfoot waders (Cabela's brand) and they are great! They haven't worn out, and I've been using them for three years, no leaks!
Appreciate the reply. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2017, 04:53 PM

Very weird.....have never heard of this. Stocking foot with wading boots are more comfortable and safer in my opinion. I suspect a sizing issue but I have never once heard of this. Best of luck with the boot waders I suppose!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2017, 05:29 PM

Very strange. What size are your feet? Are they too big for the neoprene booties?

Other than the neoprene, the only thing crushing your feet would be the water pressure, and that isn't too much in only 3 feet of water.

You may want to try another pair of better quality wading boots to see if that helps.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:34 PM

I'm guessing the stocking feet are way to big and you have a wrinkle pushing on your foot?

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-13-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I'm guessing the stocking feet are way to big and you have a wrinkle pushing on your foot?
I think you might be right, the socks do seem too big on my feet, but the lady who worked at Bass Pro who was helping me said the waders looked like they were a good fit. Fustrating because other than that I like the waders. Looks like I gotta make another trip down to Calgary.

I agree the water pressure is nothing at 3 feet. This shouldn't even be a problem, but it seems like the waders are creating some sort of really strong vacuum pressure....to the point where it's actually cutting off circulation.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 07-13-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:11 PM

Default bass....pro?

if a pro was helping you buy than im guessing you would have less issue...
If you flyfish...go to a fly shop... at least start there...
then if its about a price point ...look on AO or Kijjiji to get a deal...once you know what fits and works.

my 2 cents
Old 07-13-2017, 08:28 PM
Banned

I have had same issue with a pair of william joseph breatheable waders, it created such strong vacum in summer that it felt like i'm walking through mud waist deep not wading a river. It wears out your legs real fast. Part of the problem was wearing shorts under waders, skin and plastic seem to stick together when moisture is present. Cotton gym pants solved the issue for me. Later i bought a pair of more expensive breathable waders with slightly stiffer material and more layers. These don't colapse under water pressure as much and i'm back to wearing shorts. No issues so far.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:28 PM

Curious....

If you can, try to borrow another brand and see if you experience the same thing.

I know some dedicated shops will lend you a pair to try. I would think most would after you explain the situation to them. A buddy of mine has some frostbite issues with his feet and was able to borrow some from Iron Bow to try and see how warm they were with different socks combos.

P

-Confucius

Last edited by ÜberFly; 07-13-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runewolf1973 View Post
I'm thinking of getting the Redhead neoprene bootfoot waders from Bass Pro. They got a lot of really good reviews. So many guys say neoprene waders are too hot in the summer, but I won't be doing much walking since I live right close to the Red Deer river where I'll be fishing with these and I can wear shorts underneath. I do most of my fishing in the late evening and early morning anyways. I don't bother fishing in the heat of mid day.

...but if that's the way stockingfoot waders normally feel on the feet...crushing the life out of them...(unless there is something else going on with these waders...sizing issue or something??) then screw that. I don't want numb feet everytime I step in the river. I'll get these instead...

I've bought two pairs, randomly, and they are the best things ever. No crushing. Sounds like the same for everyone else on here. If you go with those neoprenes....good luck. My buddy has the same cheap pair and I run circles around him while he drags his @ss around in those uncomfortable, heavy things. By end of day he is bitching how old he is...and he is younger than me. He is also stubborn and has never bought a pair of breathables. They are two very different things. I guess if you just stand there and little hiking, you will be fine. I'm not a stander
Old 07-15-2017, 05:51 AM
Banned

Are you wearing socks inside your waders? You should be.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:28 AM

Default Waders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
Are you wearing socks inside your waders? You should be.
What he said. Try wearing a pair of light socks.I think you will notice a big difference.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I recently bought my first pair of breathable stockingfoot waders. They feel fine walking around out of the water, but everytime I get in past my knees and especially down to my waist it feels like the water pressure is crushing my feet to a pulp making it extremely uncomfortable. I thought at first it was the boots because I just got some cheap hikers to wear with the stocking feet, but no... I took one of the boots completely off underwater and found out that just the neoprene itself is crushing my feet. My feet literally ache from the pressure after a couple hours and I have to stop fishing. Anyone else experience this? I can wade around all day in just pants and some shoes and I don't have this pressure issue at all. Thinking of going with bootfoot waders, but the lady at Bass Pro said I'd be lucky if I got one season out of them because they're prone to leaks at the boot joint. I'm thinking this was an exaggeration and I'm not a guide who's out fishing every day for 8 hours. Decent bootfoot waders should last a few years for the casual user I would think. Am I wrong?
I have worn many types of waders. Never had the effect you have seen. I would suggest you chat with your family doctor as you could have fluid build up in your lower legs which is made worse by water pressure. Also potentially you have a mild form of gout.

You could try the next size up boot. Try kicking in a tube with no boots just the fins to see if the pain is still there.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-15-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:

I have the Cabelas brand Instinct boot waders, and they are awesome. The only problem so far is trying to hike up a mountain carrying them because they are quite heavy.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:35 PM

Those Instinct waders from Cabelas are nice. I honestly don't see myself hiking anywhere with waders. Anytime I've ever fished mountain streams I would just wear an old pair of runners or hiking shoes and just wade in with the pants I was wearing at the time. I primarily only want waders for fishing the Red Deer river because it is wide in some stretches and I can get more room to cast. I don't know where else to fish that I would even need waders around Red Deer.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:56 AM

I use a pair of Sz 11 Simms guide boots for hike in stream fishing and a pair of sz13 cheapassed Hodgman wading boots for pontoon stillwater fishing because the sz 11s constrict my feet too much when floating for hrs on end.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:35 PM

So I took the other waders back and bought a more expensive pair of Frogg Toggs Anura II waders with proper wading boots. Everything felt good in the store and everything fit like it should. They're awesome looking waders (feel like a pro wearing them) and seem to be really great quality. Went out to the river and my toes still get crushed. It's not the water pressure because I can wet-wade just fine and my feet don't hurt. What is happening is the water pressure is somehow forcing all the air out of the wader and creating an intense vacuum. I think I'm about done with this stocking foot nonsense. It's just not doing it for me.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:38 PM

It could be the socks you're wearing under the neoprene booties. I wear a tight wool sweat wicking sports kind of sock and they fit tight and they fit snug in the booties, helps keep socks from crumpling up which might be creating some unwanted pressure.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:01 AM

Do stocking foot waders normally create a certain amount of vacuum pressure under water? Like is it normal to feel a certain amount of tightness in the foot and leg when you go into deep water? I found out what was causing the actual sharp pain in my toes...ahem...my wife keeps bugging me to trim those darn toe nails. Lol! My shoes don't compress agains my toenails so I didn't really think about it. Haha. Feels considerably better now...tolerable I think.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Do stocking foot waders normally create a certain amount of vacuum pressure under water? Like is it normal to feel a certain amount of tightness in the foot and leg when you go into deep water? I found out what was causing the actual sharp pain in my toes...ahem...my wife keeps bugging me to trim those darn toe nails. Lol! My shoes don't compress agains my toenails so I didn't really think about it. Haha. Feels considerably better now...tolerable I think.
Yes and no. Stocking foot waders compress against your feet and legs as the water pressure forces air out of the immersed parts. They do not create a "vacuum" and there is nothing in the way of pressure other than water pressure. Sorry to say this, but from all I have read read on this thread, you sound like you are incredibly sensitive to water pressure on you toes. Your wife might be right about clipping your toenails, or you may have another issue. Rather than trying to correct the problem by using different waders, perhaps a visit to your doctor to identify any underlying issue might be in order.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professori View Post
Yes and no. Stocking foot waders compress against your feet and legs as the water pressure forces air out of the immersed parts. They do not create a "vacuum" and there is nothing in the way of pressure other than water pressure. Sorry to say this, but from all I have read read on this thread, you sound like you are incredibly sensitive to water pressure on you toes. Your wife might be right about clipping your toenails, or you may have another issue. Rather than trying to correct the problem by using different waders, perhaps a visit to your doctor to identify any underlying issue might be in order.
If I was sensitive to the water pressure then I wouldn't be able to wet wade in deep water with just regular pants and sneakers without experiencing the same effect. I have no problem at all wet-wading in deep water, which is what makes this kinda baffling. Oh well...I'll figure it out. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
So I took the other waders back and bought a more expensive pair of Frogg Toggs Anura II waders with proper wading boots. Everything felt good in the store and everything fit like it should. They're awesome looking waders (feel like a pro wearing them) and seem to be really great quality. Went out to the river and my toes still get crushed. It's not the water pressure because I can wet-wade just fine and my feet don't hurt. What is happening is the water pressure is somehow forcing all the air out of the wader and creating an intense vacuum. I think I'm about done with this stocking foot nonsense. It's just not doing it for me.
That sucks. I feel badly you had to try another set of waders with the same result.

When I was out last week I was thinking of this post. There is some more pressure form the stockings but not enough to stop met ..especially when a fish is around
There have been some good suggestions on here like socks bunching up, etc. If it is none of those factors then I'm stumped.

I hope you get the best wader to you combo and get this figured out. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:42 AM

Waders do feel tighter then wet wading. It is the feeling of the material not the pressure. If the neoprene boots are a bit tight the elasticity of them will create some pressure too and all this can be amplified by poor fitting shoes with pressure points etc.

Comparisons to socks or pants etc worn wet wading are not applicable because there is no external pressure on them due to not being waterproof.

As others have said stocking foot waders do not create a vacuum or anything else like that. If you are having issues you either have poorly fitting waders or shoes or are overly sensitive to the feeling of the pressure on the material.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professori View Post
Rather than trying to correct the problem by using different waders, perhaps a visit to your doctor to identify any underlying issue might be in order.
X2

Many medical reasons to be safe and get it checked out.

Toe nails also. Yuk.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-23-2017, 11:00 AM

Cut your toenails and get bigger wading shoes.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Waders do feel tighter then wet wading. It is the feeling of the material not the pressure. If the neoprene boots are a bit tight the elasticity of them will create some pressure too and all this can be amplified by poor fitting shoes with pressure points etc.

Comparisons to socks or pants etc worn wet wading are not applicable because there is no external pressure on them due to not being waterproof.

As others have said stocking foot waders do not create a vacuum or anything else like that. If you are having issues you either have poorly fitting waders or shoes or are overly sensitive to the feeling of the pressure on the material.

I disagree about the vacuum pressure. There is most definitely a vacuum pressure created when all the air is forced out of the wader by the water pressure. If you don't believe me you can look up how to vacuum seal bags of food or whatever using water pressure as a means of forcing the air out of the bags. It's the same principal.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 08-01-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:45 AM

There is no vacuum created, you have a massive hole at the top of the waders. Yes the air gets pushed out but when you leave the water the pressure drops, there is water pressure, no vacuum. There is something else going on, I've been wearing breathable waders for close to 20 years, I have guided and had lots, many new anglers wear waders. Maybe close to 1000 and I've never heard of this complaint.
Something isn't right in the fit, the way you put them on, your foot health or you just can't handle being in the water.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:23 PM

Are you diabetic or have any Neuropathy? You don't have to disclose on a discussion forum, but just fielding possibilities.

-Confucius

Last edited by ÜberFly; 08-01-2017 at 01:31 PM.