Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-03-2017, 11:07 AM

Default Skunked on sylvan

Was out on Monday at rr 23 and set up amoung the shacks. Only saw 1 perch in the first 2 hours so moved shallower to about 4 fow since that's where I saw a lot of fish last year. This is only my second time ice fishing sylvan. Saw a few whites and a couple pike but not even a nibble. There were 3 of us fishing. Really wanna catch some whites through the ice. Someone please tell me my mistake. We tried everything I've read on here about hard water whites in sylvan
Old 01-03-2017, 02:04 PM

O and the first spot was 10-12 fow
Old 01-03-2017, 05:47 PM

Default Sylvan

Sounds like it might have been just one of those days. I would try breaking away from the pack and locate some whites that aren't working in heavy fished areas as they have seen lots of hooks and probably been *****ed before.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:09 PM

I've thought of that but I don't know the lake super well and I don't have sonar or much for fancy equipment and sounds like heaps of people catch them there so I figured I should catch at least a few. Next time might go try where I summer fish for them. Never ran into anyone there as it's all private access
Old 01-03-2017, 08:16 PM

Rr 23 has been pretty slow for the most part this year. South side anyway from what I've noticed.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:42 PM

It's been slow for most lakes around there (pigeon, gull, sylvan) and it usually is this time of year. It'll pick up in February with the burbot spawn.

The guys posting success on here fish weekly or more and know their spots and target species inside and out. Whites especially are not something you just go out and nail em the first or second time. Takes a lot to get them figured out. If you are seeing them, keep changing your hooks and presentation until you get bit. They can see the hook just fine, you have to put something in front of them that they want.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:16 PM

If you would like to explore the lake more this is a handy dandy site that has some pretty awesome maps of quite a few alberta lakes. Ive printed off several of my more visited lakes and laminated some as well. I never leave the house without them. Plus they can be downloaded onto a tablet or your cell.

http://aep.alberta.ca/forms-maps-ser...etry-maps.aspx
Old 01-05-2017, 12:35 PM

Got skunked on sylvan yesterday myself. Seen a handful of whitefish but couldn't entice them to bite no matter what set up I tried. Still better than any day at work though
Old 01-05-2017, 01:54 PM

Well now that I know it's not just me next I will try a different spot
Old 01-05-2017, 02:04 PM

I was there last week and almost got skunked as well. Tried 3 different spots and ended up getting 2 big burbot within about 10 minutes of each other, but other than that I didn't even SEE a fish all day.

When I wasn't even seeing fish I chalked it up to picking the wrong 3 spots - because based on other posts, the fish are there.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:44 PM

I was set up at norglenwold
Old 01-05-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
I've thought of that but I don't know the lake super well and I don't have sonar or much for fancy equipment and sounds like heaps of people catch them there so I figured I should catch at least a few. Next time might go try where I summer fish for them. Never ran into anyone there as it's all private access
Where did you catch them in summer ?
Old 01-06-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
Where did you catch them in summer ?
On the north side