Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-08-2020, 11:17 AM
Banned

Default Anshultz Model 64

Hi Guys,
Looking to purchase an Anshultz model 64 and would like to know what kind of accuracy I could expect from it? Also would $1200.00 be too much to pay?
Old 01-08-2020, 11:37 AM

New, that is what they are going for. Nordic Marksman and Prophet River usually have the best prices. The 64 is VERY accurate. I have three and a couple of 54s. I got the 64s because they are the only repeater that comes in left hand, the 54s are all single shots. They will be far more accurate than anything else in their price range. One bullet hole 5 shot groups at 50 yards is pretty normal. Biggest issue is ammo. With good target ammo, great groups, with regular 22 ammo you will easily see how inconsistent it is. You will see flyers most other guns don't reveal.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:02 PM

If you had your pick which action would you choose. Sporting use only.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:34 PM

The 64 is a lower priced version of the 54, and the biggest difference that I notice is that the 54 models usually come with a better trigger. I have only owned one 64, but have owned four 54s, and one Fortner action. All are very accurate, but the 54 costs close to double the 64, and the Fortner is considerably more expensive tha the 54. As Dean mentioned, the ammunition is a huge factor as far as accuracy is concerned. Using a lower end target load like the SK Standard Plus, you can expect to average under 1/2" at 50 yards for five shots with any of the three actions, but you will notice the odd flier, that you don't see nearly as often with the higher end target loads. If you are going to shoot the cheap 22lr ammunition that most people buy , you won't come close to seeing the accuracy potential of the rifle.
As far as price goes, check with Prophet River to buy new or try Canadiangunnutz if you are interested in used.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 01-08-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afedor7 View Post
Hi Guys,
Looking to purchase an Anshultz model 64 and would like to know what kind of accuracy I could expect from it? Also would $1200.00 be too much to pay?
The 64 action is a very good small bore action but not as good as the 54.
The 54 is more precise , has a faster lock time and is stronger than the 64.
It also lasts far longer as far as reliability than the 64.

That being said $1,200 is high for a used 64 even if it is the MS model
Cat
Old 01-08-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
For sporting use I would pick the 64 every time. It is a rifle u can pass down for many generations. I have one of mine that is well over 100,000 rounds shooting gophers with Winchester Xpert. When I lived in Calgary I bought ammo 10 cases at a time and that only lasted a couple of years. It still groups as good as new and works perfectly. Only a competitive shooter would be able to use the difference the 54 provides.

Last edited by Dean2; 01-08-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
For sporting use I would pick the 64 every time. It is a rifle u can pass down for many generations. I have one of mine that is well over 100,000 rounds shooting gophers with Winchester Xpert and it still groups as good as new and works perfectly. Only a competitive shooter would be able to use the difference the 54 provides.
Exactly my point of view as well!
My first rifle was a 64 actioned C.I.L. Model180 that I shot in sporting rifle competitions since 1967 and it has well over 250,000 rounds through it .
I did change a firing pin on it but other than that it is still going strong at the hands of a young shooter down south .
It was never as accurate next to something like an Anschutz Super Match but those two rifles are shot in two different devisions .
In the Sporting rifle category in SFC match shooting the 64 has no equal
Cat
Old 01-08-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
For a sporting rifle, there is no wrong choice, but I like the 54 myself. I like the model 1710 for a hunting rifle, but it is double the price of a model 64 hunting rifle.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:38 AM

I've got a 1416D which is a 64 action. Sporter stock, 23 inch barrel. This is probably a variation of what the OP is looking at.

I bought it for shooting gophers and for friendly competition with friends.
The accuracy is very good. Off the bench, using medium priced target ammo like SK Rifle Match, sub 1/2 inch groups are common at 50yds/m. I use this rifle a lot at the range, practising off-hand, prone, seated etc.

This past summer, my supply of hv hollow point was running low. To compound the situation, this ammo seems to be discontinued. So, through the summer and early fall I tested 8 varieties of hunting ammo. The shooting was done off the bench at 50yds/m. To make it more interesting, I shot the same ammo through my trusty cz452. I fired one box of ammo through each gun; 5 shot groups, same lot #, same scope magnification, same day, no mulligans......

My standard for hv hunting ammo is 1.5moa or .75 inch at 50yds.
The Anschutz 1416D met the standard with 5 of the 8 brands. The overall combined average average was 1.46 moa.

My CZ452 met the standard with 4 of the eight brands. The overall combined average was 1.72 moa

Disclaimer.
These results would only apply to my guns with the brands and lots of the ammo I tested. YMMV
Also, I am not much of a shot.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:22 PM

Default Anschutz 190

Can anyone please tell me what action is in an Anschutz model 190,
or any other information about Anschutz 190.
Is there a CIL 190? and how does it differ from the Anschutz?

TIA
Old 01-09-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Can anyone please tell me what action is in an Anschutz model 190,
or any other information about Anschutz 190.
Is there a CIL 190? and how does it differ from the Anschutz?

TIA
The 190 is a 64 action with s target rifle stock
Cat