Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 08:33 AM

Default Tim Hortons-Handicapped Parking

I have been going to the same Tim Hortons in Calgary at 3840 Macleod Trail South for my morning java for many years. It has bothered me that they have ONE parking stall for the less physically fortunate people to park in. The stall does not have a sign posted in front of it designating it as a handicapped stall as per Alberta Building code 2014 3.8.2.2(4).
I contacted the Calgary Parking Authority informing them of the breach. Nothing was done. I in turn, went online to inform Tim Hortons Corporate that daily on my way home I see the same vehicle parked in the stall which I am sure is an employee of the Store and the Branches breach of no handicapped sign. This angers me as I have seen people with obvious disabilities struggle to walk into this store while they are forced to park on the street. Two months have passed since my contact with Corporate and NOTHING! No "thanks for the info", no acknowledgement at all and no sign erected. I have asked the store employees that man the drive through if they are aware that one of them is breaking the law and of course, I get a shrug of the shoulders for a response, nothing more.
Today, on my way home, I will be taking pictures of what I believe to be the employees vehicles license plate, the lack of signage and will be publicly shaming Tim Hortons on social media.
As the husband of a woman that struggles with an extreme disability, it is so morally wrong for people to do this; especially if its their own employees!!!
Plus, the fact that other customers are parking there because of no signage and take advantage of the parking spot for the "well, I was just going to be a few minutes" excuse. I may add that the stall has the required disabled paint on the surface but that doesn't suffice in the winter when you can't see it for the snow.
Morning rant over.
Wishing all a good day and enjoyable weekend.
FHD
Old 01-24-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinhogdaddy View Post
I have been going to the same Tim Hortons in Calgary at 3840 Macleod Trail South for my morning java for many years. It has bothered me that they have ONE parking stall for the less physically fortunate people to park in. The stall does not have a sign posted in front of it designating it as a handicapped stall as per Alberta Building code 2014 3.8.2.2(4).
I contacted the Calgary Parking Authority informing them of the breach. Nothing was done. I in turn, went online to inform Tim Hortons Corporate that daily on my way home I see the same vehicle parked in the stall which I am sure is an employee of the Store and the Branches breach of no handicapped sign. This angers me as I have seen people with obvious disabilities struggle to walk into this store while they are forced to park on the street. Two months have passed since my contact with Corporate and NOTHING! No "thanks for the info", no acknowledgement at all and no sign erected. I have asked the store employees that man the drive through if they are aware that one of them is breaking the law and of course, I get a shrug of the shoulders for a response, nothing more.
Today, on my way home, I will be taking pictures of what I believe to be the employees vehicles license plate, the lack of signage and will be publicly shaming Tim Hortons on social media.
As the husband of a woman that struggles with an extreme disability, it is so morally wrong for people to do this; especially if its their own employees!!!
Plus, the fact that other customers are parking there because of no signage and take advantage of the parking spot for the "well, I was just going to be a few minutes" excuse. I may add that the stall has the required disabled paint on the surface but that doesn't suffice in the winter when you can't see it for the snow.
Morning rant over.
FHD
Just use the drive thru like everyone else... (kidding).

You should figure out who the landlord (management company) is, as I understand it, parking lot maintenance is not the responsibility of the tenants. Most businesses don't own the land they use.

Shaming employees for something that may be out of their controls really does no good.

Oh, and they are only required to provide 2% of the available parking as handicap. so, unless there's 100 parking spaces.

FTR, I'm not making light of it, my FIL has to deal with similar BS everytime he goes out.

My personal rant... When the able bodied partner uses the handicap placard w/o that disabled person in the car.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:03 AM

Make coffee at home and don't worry about it.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyvdH View Post
Make coffee at home and don't worry about it.
Love it when people that don't have mobility issues chime in.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:10 AM

The Handicap placard was a desired and coveted status symbol in the senior's condo where my MIL lived.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:18 AM

There was a signage issue on our street. The appropriate city dept was contacted by several homeowners explaining the issue. The issue was looked into but nothing was done.
People then contacted our City Councilor. We got a reply within a week. The councilor's staff brought up the issue with the appropriate people. The signs got changed. The whole process took a couple of months, IIRC.

I would suggest contacting your Councilor and, if they are different people, the Councilor for the ward where the Tims is located.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:22 AM

Maybe go in and speak to the manager in person?
Old 01-24-2020, 10:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Love it when people that don't have mobility issues chime in.
I got issues and tend to agree with this.....if it's that bad and you know how our me me society is then control what you can and manage the other issues that may or may not present themselves along the way.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-24-2020, 10:36 AM

In Edmonton if you call in the plate and location the police will issue a ticket. You can also phone 311 to report them. Don't know if Calgary has a similar setup.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:41 AM

There are numerous videos on the YouTube when SJWs approach and confront people using the handicapped stalls when they shouldn't. If you have time and strong urge to get to the bottom of it just camp out the violator and ask him/her in person "wtf?". If it is the store employee doing some online shaming could work.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
In Edmonton if you call in the plate and location the police will issue a ticket. You can also phone 311 to report them. Don't know if Calgary has a similar setup.
Sounds like the spot isn’t signed properly, so if then even wrote a ticket it would probably be tossed
Old 01-24-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
Maybe go in and speak to the manager in person?
This.
Talk to the manager, and/or franchise owner. Seems like a logical first step before going straight to the authorities.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:00 PM

What you describe, with the spot identified on the parking spot itself (painted on the asphalt but with no visible sign in front of that spot), is a common issue.

There is at least 2 convivence store/gas stations like that in my immediate vicinity and unless you know it, this time of year, with the snow and ice cover, there is no way for some people to know.

Signs should be placed in front of these stalls.

People who knowingly park in these spots should be ticketed/towed.

I'm not sure what the ethical thing to do is here, but it infuriates me when lazy, self centered people are "just going in for a second" and I pray for a magic tow truck to show up, right at that moment, and tow their car out of there - so when they come back out that their car is gone. Instant Karma.

But in the case where there isn't a sign - anyone can claim "they didn't see it - so towing/ticketing would be problem as maybe the person didn't see it and are, in fact, innocent of parking there.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:00 PM

Even if there was a sign it won't matter I see so many freaking lazy people in this province have to park right by the door I just love when it's a big jacked up 3/4 ton park there

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Even if there was a sign it won't matter I see so many freaking lazy people in this province have to park right by the door I just love when it's a big jacked up 3/4 ton park there

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I love when my brother sees those guys he will snap and he is 280lbs that will not hesitate to punch the person who lips back. Normally a really nice guy that sticks to himself but able bodied lazy people parking in handicap parking sets him off

We grew up with a mother in a wheelchair and ran into all kinds of people making excuses on why they are parked in handicap spots. Women who say”well I have my kids in the car” and a lot of people who say “it was only 5 min” were common
Old 01-24-2020, 02:20 PM

Using handicap parking when you don’t is wrong. But so too is judging people. My MIL has a placard and has several issues keeping her home bound most days. But if you saw her you would not see any physical signs of her limitations and struggles.

By chance, did you look to see if there is a handicapped placard displayed in the offending vehicle?
Old 01-24-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly’s Mom View Post
Using handicap parking when you don’t is wrong. But so too is judging people. My MIL has a placard and has several issues keeping her home bound most days. But if you saw her you would not see any physical signs of her limitations and struggles.

By chance, did you look to see if there is a handicapped placard displayed in the offending vehicle?
We are always are polite first and ask if they have a card. I know some people with MS for example can be in remission but still have a card

Very rare when we have talked to someone they or their passengers had a card. Most were lazy
Old 01-24-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:

I've seen several people with a handicapped sticker , who were perfectly mobile. Sometimes it's Granny's and they are using her car.

Grizz
Old 01-24-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I've seen several people with a handicapped sticker , who were perfectly mobile.

Grizz
You could tell that how?
Old 01-24-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinhogdaddy View Post
Morning rant over.
FHD
Maybe sprinkle salty sand on the parking spot to melt the snow, , then make sign and tape it to the window, that the parking spot, is a handicap parking, then send a invoice to the Tim Hortons location, for all your work, and maybe call your local tv station to video your work, they will get the message fast
Old 01-24-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I've seen several people with a handicapped sticker , who were perfectly mobile. Sometimes it's Granny's and they are using her car.

Grizz
The handi-capped card states the card holder must be in the vehicle.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 01-24-2020, 04:26 PM

Heck, I even have a picture of a Calgary BY-law officer parked in a Handi-capped spot.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 01-24-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I'm not sure what the ethical thing to do is here, but it infuriates me when lazy, self centered people are "just going in for a second" and I pray for a magic tow truck to show up, right at that moment, and tow their car out of there - so when they come back out that their car is gone. Instant Karma.
I had a bunch of business cards made up by VistaPrint that the top half shows the handicapped logo with the guy in the chair flipping the bird and under that it says, Laziness is not a disability, park elsewhere *explitive*

And for people that insist on parking ON the lines instead of in between them in parking lots I have a different one that's pretty funny.

If you want to see them pm me your number and I'll send you a pic, I can't post pics here or I would.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:

Grizz
And how do you know they don’t have a heart condition or severe COPD?
They look ‘mobile’ but walking across the parking lot is difficult.
I recently watched someone like this enter a Safeway...once in they’d stop at the end of every aisle and spend 5 minutes catching their breath.
Though like you I’ve seen people who definitely didn’t appear handicapped...things aren’t always as they seem.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:23 PM

My fathernlaw has parkinsons plus which has no cure and his days are numbered. I will drive him in my vehicle and use his placard....Anyone starts giving me grief at anytime, I will lose it on them while I pull his wheelchair from the back of my van....
Old 01-24-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:

I did check this afternoon and got my pictures. Nope and vanity plates on the vehicle as well. No customers and two cars parked in and next to the handicapped stall.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:55 PM

had to go to edmonton today . pulled into a shell for ww fluid and to clean the windows . the road in went to a tim hortons first ( which made me think of this post ) and then to the shell . i dont know if there was anyone in the handicap parking but there were two vehicles parked on the entry road , both in front of no parking signs / fire lane . this turned a two way street into a one way that was bunging up traffic . i wonder if these a holes think they are heros for not parking in the handicap spots ?

just blowing off some steam , back to the topic at hand .
Old 01-24-2020, 10:35 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but please remember not all disabilities requiring a card are visible ones. A person may LOOK healthy, but still have a brittle condition that can flip them into requiring the closest parking space available.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
My fathernlaw has parkinsons plus which has no cure and his days are numbered. I will drive him in my vehicle and use his placard....Anyone starts giving me grief at anytime, I will lose it on them while I pull his wheelchair from the back of my van....
You are using the spot for what it’s meant for you should not have issues
Old 01-25-2020, 06:34 AM

Handicap parking is a problem all over, it stems from the generation that believes they are entitled, just like parking in the fire lane at superstore while they run in to pick up vaping crap, always 1 or 2 vehicles there, to lazy to walk from the parking lot

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.