Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-28-2013, 06:57 PM

Default Ultrasonic Cleaners

what do you use for a liquid in it?

do you use the water n cleaner
or use something like paint thinner

my brass isnt getting as clean as i would like
Old 02-28-2013, 07:08 PM

I use the Lyman cleaning solution....I bought an ultra sonic cleaner and honestly I don't think it does as good a job as a vibratory one with walnut/cob mix...

LC
Old 02-28-2013, 07:17 PM

I use Hornady one shot cleaner...

It makes my brass squeaky clean Inside and out... Shiney brass? That's what a tumbler is for I'm afraid...

I have tried just about every home brew going and nothing has done a better job then the Hornady product.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:17 PM

X2
Hornady ,,,wasted a bunch of monie on concoctions ,,,,,

X2 on shiney ,,,Vibrate them in walnut or corn with some kinda rouge..
Old 02-28-2013, 08:27 PM

thanks for the reply's
i think i will go back to the Hornady one shot, for now
i've tried a lot of different stuff, and the solvents stink up the room

think im going to try out the Stainless Steel water tumbler
i really dont like the dust from normal tumblers,
Old 02-28-2013, 08:42 PM

The dull finish is a result of surface oxidation of the brass... Weather you are US or SS cleaning it you will have that dull appearance shortly after it drys... I have been looking for a sealing agent I can mist onto the cases to keep that "fresh from the cleaner" look but so far nothing has came up....

Most if not all vibratory cleaners require nufinish or other types of waxy polishing compounds for stellar results... Wax seals the finish in.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:49 PM

I use a stainless pin tumbler and my brass comes out brighter than new on the outside and inside, and stays that shiny.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snroth View Post
I use a stainless pin tumbler and my brass comes out brighter than new on the outside and inside, and stays that shiny.
Do you add lemmi shine or just soap?
Old 02-28-2013, 08:56 PM

x3 on the hornady and their cleaning solution
Old 02-28-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
Do you add lemmi shine or just soap?
I use both Lemmi Shine and dish soap.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
The dull finish is a result of surface oxidation of the brass... Weather you are US or SS cleaning it you will have that dull appearance shortly after it drys... I have been looking for a sealing agent I can mist onto the cases to keep that "fresh from the cleaner" look but so far nothing has came up....

Most if not all vibratory cleaners require nufinish or other types of waxy polishing compounds for stellar results... Wax seals the finish in.

I have a lot of once fired brass, and some new in the box stuff too...
but i'm new to reloading (not green) and figured, i would start with the once fired nickel plated stuff first, because i heard it can break dies, and in gen its not as good... I plan on upgrading my dies, and figured it would be good practice. The nickel plated brass comes out looking new e/v time, but the inside isnt as clean as i would like, have not used normal brass in the U.S. cleaner yet,
i got over 100 NPB im using, some have 4 reloads, still shinny
but the nickel is starting to wear around the necks from cleaning

only problem so far is lose primer pockets in Federal Nickel Plated Brass

just a though.... could the wax in the normal tumblers affect the burn rate of the powder?
Old 02-28-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snroth View Post
with the weight of the SS and brass banging together, does it distort the necks
if you sized before cleaning?
Old 02-28-2013, 09:21 PM

I just finished building my tumbler for stainless pins, my only regret was not doing it sooner. Cases clean inside and out, including primer pockets like new. Way better than the lyman vibrating type I was using before.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
I have a lot of once fired brass, and some new in the box stuff too...
but i'm new to reloading (not green) and figured, i would start with the once fired nickel plated stuff first, because i heard it can break dies, and in gen its not as good... I plan on upgrading my dies, and figured it would be good practice. The nickel plated brass comes out looking new e/v time, but the inside isnt as clean as i would like, have not used normal brass in the U.S. cleaner yet,
i got over 100 NPB im using, some have 4 reloads, still shinny
but the nickel is starting to wear around the necks from cleaning

only problem so far is lose primer pockets in Federal Nickel Plated Brass

just a though.... could the wax in the normal tumblers affect the burn rate of the powder?

Normal brass cleans up very well in a ultrasonic machine with Hornady one shot, only small gripe I have is the hard carbon in some primer pockets is not coming out... So I grab my primer pocket uniformer and give it a few twists and the world is set right yet again...

No wax won't effect powder burn rate... There's so little in tumbler media that you wouldn't even know it was there unless it was not there and then you would end up with dust inside your cases and other symptoms....

Quote:
I use both Lemmi Shine and dish soap.
Interesting... I have seen the SS pin cases fade out much like my US cleaned cases do... It's not much just enough to make em dull... I figured it had to do with the acid in the cleaning agents leaving the cases stripped and porous so corrosion could take hold faster....

I still won't be botherd with pins tho, I have enough issues with things stuck in cases as it is....
Old 02-28-2013, 10:26 PM

I use a stainless steel cleaner that I picked up at cdn tire and to freshen up some brass I use a fine sandpaper, leave the range stuff dull.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Interesting... I have seen the SS pin cases fade out much like my US cleaned cases do... It's not much just enough to make em dull... I figured it had to do with the acid in the cleaning agents leaving the cases stripped and porous so corrosion could take hold faster....

I still won't be botherd with pins tho, I have enough issues with things stuck in cases as it is....
From the little research I did, if your cases are going dark after using the ss pins, you are usin too much lemishine and not rinsing well enough. I have only had one pin stick so far and that was crosswise in a neck - completely fluke.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:36 PM

Not talking about them going dark (tho I did have that issue with several home brews), what I have seen was just a dull finish after the cases have been dried... They are spotlessly clean and come out super shiney... 24hrs later they seem to loose there luster...
Old 02-28-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Not talking about them going dark (tho I did have that issue with several home brews), what I have seen was just a dull finish after the cases have been dried... They are spotlessly clean and come out super shiney... 24hrs later they seem to loose there luster...
Oxidation.

LC
Old 02-28-2013, 11:24 PM

Errr dats a big werd fer us ****ry folk...
Old 02-28-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Errr dats a big werd fer us ****ry folk...
I guess Kevin bloody Wilson was right.... Ohhhhh YOU CAN'T SAY **** IN CANADA
Old 02-28-2013, 11:40 PM

I have found Lagostina stainless steel and copper cleaner works the best for cleaning brass in an UC. Couple of tablespoons / cycle. You can pick it up at any Ukrainian Tire store...... Works well on pots and pans too.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
I have found Lagostina stainless steel and copper cleaner works the best for cleaning brass in an UC. Couple of tablespoons / cycle. You can pick it up at any Ukrainian Tire store...... Works well on pots and pans too.
Tried that too... Gotta be careful with it because it will leave some very hard grit in your cases or a milky white residue on some brass...
Old 03-01-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
with the weight of the SS and brass banging together, does it distort the necks
if you sized before cleaning?
I always size after cleaning, just decap the brass before so the primer pocket is cleaned.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:

You have to rinse the brass good after cleaning and they will stay shiney. The stainless pins do not get stuck in the case if you use the good pins fron STM. You may get the very odd pin stick sideways in the neck or if 3 or 4 get bunched up in a primer pocket. To clean the pins out of the brass just dip it in the water and dump the pins and water out, very easy.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:21 AM

I bought a Ultra sonic to try out then I used the Hornady brass cleaner it worked well, the problem I have is my garage doesn't have running water for rinsing, and rinsing and drying was really a PIA!
I have used a tumbler I built out of photocopier parts back in about 1978 it has a coffee can for a drum and has cleaned thousands of brass with corn cob media. I went back to my tumbler it takes 6 hours and you have to watch for plugged primer holes but everything is dry, a bounce sheet keeps the dust down.
The Ultra sonic is used to clean gun parts, really works well. I come back from the range break down my pistol then clean the parts with the hornady cleaner rinse with hot water, oil them up and done.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
I use a stainless steel cleaner that I picked up at cdn tire and to freshen up some brass I use a fine sandpaper, leave the range stuff dull.

Can you give a link to what tumbler it is? And where you got the pins?
Old 03-01-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
...... Works well on pots and pans too.
WHAAAAAAT... You know this How?....

Turn in yer man card!....
Old 03-01-2013, 06:52 PM

Never use petroleum base products in an ultrasonic cleaner. (Paint thinner, solvents, etc.) Witnessed an experiment with one filled with Hoppes solvent. It cleaned like a charm but when found out by safety inspectors they nearly collapsed in fearful amazement as the heat generated from the ultrasonic cleaner created vapors that were ripe for ignition. The fumes also nearly caused a co worker a visit to the hospital. A big no no.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:39 PM

Default Shoot More

A clean house and a clean car sure take the time. To worry about how the brass looks? You do not shoot enough. Function over looks any day as they never stay loaded long and nobody else cares what they look like. I believe in keeping it simple and consistent. They look good when done and yes they fade but like I said shoot more. That way they always look faded.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmocreeper06 View Post
A clean house and a clean car sure take the time. To worry about how the brass looks? You do not shoot enough. Function over looks any day as they never stay loaded long and nobody else cares what they look like. I believe in keeping it simple and consistent. They look good when done and yes they fade but like I said shoot more. That way they always look faded.
sounds like you'd settle for a ugly woman too...... not this guy

my standards are just higher then yours