Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-01-2013, 07:55 PM

Default Slug accuracy

Just curious as to what kind if accuracy I can expect out of a 12 gauge pump with a 12.5 " barrel? I haven't got the shotgun yet but in my excitedness have started buying shells for it already. I'm considering hunting with it next year and would like to know what to expect. Will it be a 100 yard gun or 50?

I was hoping my other thread would have taken me here but due to my damn autocorrect, it kind if got derailed lol.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:03 PM

Maybe I jumped the gun a little. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Reading the regs states you can't hunt with a shotgun greater than 10 gauge?
Old 03-01-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
Maybe I jumped the gun a little. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Reading the regs states you can't hunt with a shotgun greater than 10 gauge?
10 gauge is bigger than 12 gauge, 16 gauge, 20 gauge....etc.

LC
Old 03-01-2013, 08:10 PM

Ok, I get it. I was thinking numbers. 12 being bigger than 10. Good
Old 03-01-2013, 08:11 PM

The shotgun I got is coming with ghost ring sights.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Gone Hunting

Whether it's rifled or not makes a big difference.

Smooth bore, 50 yards max. If you can hit a six inch target at that range you are doing good from my experience. And that's with a 30 inch barrel. I think a shorter barrel would be less accurate. Accurate being a relative term.

With a rifled barrel you might be good out to 100 yards. Or so I hear.
I've never hunted with a shotgun with a rifled barrel.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
12 is smaller than 10, gauge is based on the number of balls you can get out of one pound of lead.
And no, your 12.5" barrel will be a POS at 100 yards, they have too much muzzle jump and do not balance well for longer distances, as well as the shorter sighting plane.
Get a longer barrel for your shotgun and put it on for hunting.
Cat
Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 PM

I would say closer to 50 yards....if it is not rifled and has no sights.

LC
Old 03-02-2013, 10:59 AM

Default Will do it all.

I agree if it is a smooth bore you will have more fun. Reason you are going to have to shoot it more to get that accuracy for the killing shot. It will do what you can make it do. Spend some more cash on lots of different slugs and you will find one that will reach out and kill. Sabots over rifled slugs do not always do better. An old browning pump I shot loved the rifled slug and it cost me a lot to find that out.Yes Rifle barrels and even a scope above make a better package but if you keep at it you will find something the firearm likes and take that elk. 8 inch pie plate at 100 is possible. Is it ethical. Only way to know is to have that fun I was talking about. You could use it as a way to become a better hunter and get in closer. It works the same way with a new car. Spend the cash ,use the gas and have fun.
As for any defence application short is better. Quicker to swing and manover in any situation including stopping that bear. In that situation I like to stagger slugs and double 00 buck and prefer pumps over semis. To each their own when it comes to medicine. So I hope you enjoy shooting your make and model of choice.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:18 AM

I bought a remington defender for defence only after been charged by a couple of grizzlies at various times. I took it to the range and found I had a hard time hitting a 14 in cardboard box at 25 yards with a slug. I could hit the box every time with double odd buck but some say buck is not that effective on a bear. I rely on pepper spray and have not had to use it as so far I have only been involved in bluff charges and the bear turned back at 25 yards. Since studies in Alaska proved a 3006 with a 220 grain bullet penetrates better than a 12 guage slug I am planning on getting a smaller 3006 for trail use.