Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 01:37 PM

Default Scope upgrade

I feel like spending some money even though I don't really need any gear. My (very accurate and comfortable Marlin 7mm-08) deer rifle has a Bushnell Elite scope on it, and I am wondering if there's any true value in upgrading it to something in the $500 range. My personal preference is to hunt deer in the woods but my partner usually wants to sit on cutlines so we do that a lot too. Thoughts, recommendations? This is strictly for deer hunting in the foothills so I concede my current setup might be good enough, but for long range shooting I sometimes think the cross hairs are a bit thick.

Another option is to put a scope on my 1917 Lee Enfield. Is that throwing good money after bad? Even if it is I might do it anyway just to have a backup gun; it is a lovely sporterized rifle with a good barrel.

(I know some people will suggest a more expensive rifle. I've tried 'em all and this Marlin, to me, in terms of accuracy and fit, cannot be improved upon. If I could find another just like it in .308 I might be tempted.)

Thanks guys!
Old 06-02-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
I feel like spending some money even though I don't really need any gear. My (very accurate and comfortable Marlin 7mm-08) deer rifle has a Bushnell Elite scope on it, and I am wondering if there's any true value in upgrading it to something in the $500 range. My personal preference is to hunt deer in the woods but my partner usually wants to sit on cutlines so we do that a lot too. Thoughts, recommendations? This is strictly for deer hunting in the foothills so I concede my current setup might be good enough, but for long range shooting I sometimes think the cross hairs are a bit thick.

Another option is to put a scope on my 1917 Lee Enfield. Is that throwing good money after bad? Even if it is I might do it anyway just to have a backup gun; it is a lovely sporterized rifle with a good barrel.

(I know some people will suggest a more expensive rifle. I've tried 'em all and this Marlin, to me, in terms of accuracy and fit, cannot be improved upon. If I could find another just like it in .308 I might be tempted.)

Thanks guys!
Saw some new Leupold vx3i 3-9x40 on sale for around $550, or you could always pick something up on the buy/sell.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:39 PM

Keep what you have buy more ammo, shoot a lot more and then you will be able to decide what you want for an upgrade.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:48 PM

Default Scope upgrade

Want a great lifetime scope.....Leupold.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:57 AM

Time for a Leupold.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:05 AM

Saw this on townpost
Leopold 2.5 by 8 Matte Painted Rifle Scopes Vari X III $500
Edmonton

Scope for life
Old 06-03-2020, 09:45 AM

What Bushnell elite do you have
Old 06-03-2020, 02:24 PM

Buy a Leupold, if a new one is a bit much there are used ones out there for cheap. They carry a warranty for the lifetime of the scope, regardless of owner. How can you go wrong with that.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Saw this on townpost
Leopold 2.5 by 8 Matte Painted Rifle Scopes Vari X III $500
Edmonton

Scope for life
should be able to get it for cheaper... i think they were around 600 in the day and it is now 2 generations behind... i used this exact scope for 20 years and never and issue
Old 06-03-2020, 08:28 PM

If you want a new scope , buy one, will it help your shooting, probably not.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:40 PM

If your Bushnell Elite scope is a lower end variable, such as a 2.5 - 7, it would be about an ideal configuration for the applications you use your 7mm-08 for.

And the Elite line of Bushnell scopes is a very good quality product; definitely a cut above their cheaper lines.

I see no real reason to change!
Old 07-15-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintearthmike View Post
If your Bushnell Elite scope is a lower end variable, such as a 2.5 - 7, it would be about an ideal configuration for the applications you use your 7mm-08 for.

And the Elite line of Bushnell scopes is a very good quality product; definitely a cut above their cheaper lines.

I see no real reason to change!
And the warranty is tough to beat.

Grizz