Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-31-2020, 09:37 AM

Default Hunters and Gun Owners

I spent some time thinking about my friends and acquaintances who are gun owners and hunters..

Hairdressers, nurses, doctors, Crown Prosecutor, defence lawyers, chartered accountants, oilfield guys and gals, HVAC, dentists, cardiologists, emerg doctors, cops, firemen, roofers, farmers, housewives, students, grocery clerks, teachers, florists, tin bashers, politicians, the list goes on.

A few dont even own guns, but they support us owning them. That speaks volumes....

I have three gay friends who are hunters. We chatted yesterday about the draws......

We are an extremely diverse group. Some vote Liberal, some NDP, one even likes the Green party lol

But we ALL have a similar bond. The shooting sports.

Remember this. Even though we have different views on certain things, there is a definite common bond.

As we navigate our current governments decisions, bear in mind that there are a LOT of gun owners, and a lot of non gun owners who support us, and none that I have spoken to support banning anything. These are people who have never hurt anyone, never will.

Help each other, as we so often do on AO. Sure, throw in a little humour too. But know that our group is extremely large and will make a difference if we work together.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 05-31-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:00 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

well said...we are in this together and need the support of those that are not into the shooting sports....nice to see they understand our side...they might need our support later on if a idiotic government decision may impact their quality/way of life...as it has ours.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-31-2020, 12:20 PM

The truly sad thing, is that some of us support the liberal firearms bans, and condemn legal hunting practices that some of us enjoy. Firearms owners and hunters, are often our own worst enemies. I don't own some types of firearms, but I will never support banning them, just because I don't have a use for them.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The truly sad thing, is that some of us support the liberal firearms bans, and condemn legal hunting practices that some of us enjoy. Firearms owners and hunters, are often our own worst enemies. I don't own some types of firearms, but I will never support banning them, just because I don't have a use for them.
Exactly

My gay friends and their community recognize that we stood up for them too. Thats how it works. They werent hurting anyone, just wanted to live in peace. Same with us. They totally get it.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:54 PM

There are always collaborators if you haven’t see fudds supporting The ban because it dosnt effect them then your turning a blind eye to a lot of people who don’t feel the bond.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
There are always collaborators if you haven’t see fudds supporting The ban because it dosnt effect them then your turning a blind eye to a lot of people who don’t feel the bond.
Selfishness and apathy kill almost everything they come in contact with
Old 05-31-2020, 02:11 PM

I was liking some footage I recently saw of some pro-2A demonstrations in the US. The news outfit doing the interviews might have been a pro-gun blog or something, but they were reasonable and well spoken (read: nothing whatsoever like a Rebel crew). The crew was interviewing people who represented a wide swath of humanity, different ethnicities and sexualities, and they had good questions and gave those being interviewed lots of time to express their thoughts. I'll try and dig it up, but if I can't find it I'll at least get some of the still photos which I think will be easier.

This past week at work I mentioned to one client that I was going to go shooting with a buddy yesterday, he immediately noted that he used to love shooting and was in the Swiss Club as a youth. He used to enjoy getting out, but it hasn't been anything he did for a while. After I sent his invoice I sent him a separate email linking the recent Parliamentary petitions and he replied that he happily signed them. Normally I'd not mix business with politics, but by his enthusiasm when recalling his time spent shooting I could tell he'd probably be receptive to signing.

I've been to close to a hundred AO members homes (if not more), there is certainly some diversity among us, when one thinks about it, there's nary a culture in the world that does not have hunting or fishing as part of their heritage (the ones that didn't probably all died off due to starvation, lol).