Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-21-2020, 06:51 PM

Default Fiber wad load data

I'm trying to find load data for fiber wads in 12 gauge 2 3/4" Fed. GM, Fed. FB, or Fed. PB hulls. I have several Ballistic Products manuals but they have very little fiber wad data. The only other manual I can find online that might help me is Lyman Shotshell Handbook, 5th ed., but don't want to throw away $30 on a potentially useless manual.

If any one has the Lyman's manual or a good source for fiber data, let me know.

I don't like leaving our fine wilderness strewn with plastic wads, so thought I would give fiber a try.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2020, 03:17 PM

My father use to load shells like this 50 years ago.
A couple of things to consider. This loading style requires straight wall shells. Over the powder wad needs to be cut precisely and fit tightly to the case. It can be a thin card paper followed by cork or any other filler (I have also seen sawdust used as filler) Still the seal will not be as good as with modern cup wads with a sealing lip. Shot pellets will contact the bore and this why your loads should be light and lead only.

Lyman Shotshell Reloading #5 does not have anything like that at least I couldn't find any. If you still want to see or have the book let me know.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:35 PM

I am sure I have some fibre wad load data around the house somewhere. I will have a look when I get back and let u know if no one posts some first.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:54 PM

Default fibre wads

I use a lot of fiber wads in my loads for old doubles. I find they friction fit themselves in fairly well. The biggest chore is finding the right thickness to match the powder and shot charges. In some, I have to split the wad to make it a good fit for the crimp, but a roll crimper is pretty forgiving.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:33 PM

I use fibre wads with brass cases as well as paper and plastic at times, most of my data is for using black powder but i think I have some smokeless loads from an old Lyman book.
Cat
Old 05-22-2020, 08:22 PM

I found it a little strange how little fiber wad load data there seems to be. It sounds like in Europe almost all lead shells use fiber wads. I believe a lot of the hunting estates prohibit the use of plastic wads. I think its because year after year they have guys shooting thousands of rounds from the same spot for pheasants and grouse. The ground would be entirely plastic garbage if the wads weren't biodegradable. It also looks like they can still get good pattern density and velocities.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBuck View Post
I found it a little strange how little fiber wad load data there seems to be. It sounds like in Europe almost all lead shells use fiber wads. I believe a lot of the hunting estates prohibit the use of plastic wads. I think its because year after year they have guys shooting thousands of rounds from the same spot for pheasants and grouse. The ground would be entirely plastic garbage if the wads weren't biodegradable. It also looks like they can still get good pattern density and velocities.
I have never had any issues killing roosters - fiber wads or released over a pointer with fiber wads or killing geese and ducks over decoys with them either with a cartridge gun or muzzle loader.
Cat
Old 05-23-2020, 02:37 PM

Did u get some loads or do you want me to check if I have some?
Old 05-23-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBuck View Post
I used to reload fiber wads in couple of 16 gauge pre war side by sides with a smokeless powder back in Europe with a good results.
You can use a regular manual for reloading with plastic wads , keeping in mind that velocity will be a bit lower with a fiber.
It will take around 5% more powder to be the same velocity as plastic.

Those wads work much better in my opinion then plastic when the temperature drops below -10C and more.
https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
You can also try those guys
S12
Old 05-24-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter12 View Post
Those wads work much better in my opinion then plastic when the temperature drops below -10C and more.
I have noticed that as well. I have had numerous plastic wads where the gas seal cracks or even shatters in cold temperatures. Wads designed for steel seem much tough and don't fail in the cold.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:28 PM

Default Fiber wads

When I started shooting skeet many years ago, fiber wads were common and plastic wads were just starting to be common. Anyway, it was common practice for 12 gauge target loads to reduce the amount of powder by one grain---presumably because the plastic wads gave a tighter fit to the case sidewalls.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:02 PM

I'm normally quite cautious and stick to book load data. But the general consensus seems to say the pressures will only be lower with fiber, so I don't have to worry about my gun exploding.

Thank you for all the advice,
YB