Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 07:49 PM

Default Best bow press for the money

As the title states looking to get a press and upgrade from the home made rig I have. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:42 PM

I have an ez green limb tip press. For the money it’s a great press that can press virtually any bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2020, 02:54 AM

I also use use an EZ Green but I wont hesitate to take my bow to my bow
shop (over an hours drive) if I run into a problem I can't resolve in a decent
ammout of time spent on it.

Don't want to sound like I'm preaching for the shops but there are times when
the knowladge and tools they have save tons of money and time spent trying
to do it on your own.

I understand when you live a long ways from a bow shop it's a big advantage
to be able to tune a bow at home but the tools and know how to do it right
are very costly and for a lot of people not worth it.

At the same time I feel if your gonna do your own tuning at least go with
quality made and or manufacture recommended tools for pressing or draw
boards etc. Do it myself made tools are ok for less critical work only.

Even having bought quality tools wont guarentte you will not over
press or over draw a bow by mistake or over tighten a limb axle screw and
trash a bearing.

Things to think about.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:30 AM

I live a couple hours away from what I would call a good shop with knowledgeable people. There is a shop with a press closer but the skill set there doesn't benefit me and it's still a bit of a drive. Having a good press I see as nothing but a plus but do realize there are some things I'm going to want to let the pros handle.

Most of the time I'm just going to be adjusting timing, yoke tuning. Frankly the press isn't going to be something that get's used a pile but still worth it in the long run for me.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:47 AM

:-) That's cool.

I didn't mean to scare anyone off from home tuning but did want to stress
how important it was to do your home work and give it serious thought before
diving into it.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:37 PM

If you can find one, the X-Press Pro (not regular) is a very versatile machine. Unfortunately they have been out of production for some time
Old 01-28-2020, 10:27 PM

I appreciate the suggestions, probably end up going with the ez green. Where would be the best place to get one from?
Old 01-29-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
I appreciate the suggestions, probably end up going with the ez green. Where would be the best place to get one from?
I purchased mine from Fulcrum Archery and had it shipped to Sweetgrass. MT. Buddy of mine from Lethbridge picked it up. It was $349 USD shipped. So with conversion rate, GST, and a bottle whiskey, I was right around $540 CDN when it was all said and done.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Jimbows Archery Calgary sometimes brings them in.

LC
Old 01-29-2020, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Jimbows Archery Calgary sometimes brings them in.

LC

I priced one out at Jim how’s and it was significantly cheaper for me to order from
Lancaster archery and have it shipped usps. That’s even after taking a hit in the dollar plus border fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2020, 07:39 AM

A bow press... Not trying to be an ass but not being able to work on our own bow is like the feller who has to send in his knife for sharpening. I don’t have a press but I guess I’m going to have to get one now that I’ve got a compound.
Crazy contraptions that defy the understanding of mere mortals the compounds are.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:54 AM

Have a small press, it's so small you can take it any place, when hunting, anywhere, can't remember the name of it, but I bought it for taking it hunting, just think , if you cut your string when out, now what
Old 02-20-2020, 08:09 PM

I bought a small cable system bow press or whatever actually name is but it does the job get done in effortlessly... $60 from cabelas, or ebay around $45-50.... i recently build my strings making jig, maybe i'll buy stationary bow press down the road ... for now cable system bow press works fine...
Old 02-20-2020, 09:00 PM

I owned a Hydra press for many years with no problems on my solid limb
bows Swithback XT and DXT, it's like an X press using boat rollers (meant for solid limb bows).

I sold it last year when I bought my Ez Green for the Triax (split limbs).

The Ez Green, Apple etc. does both solid and split limbs.

Boat roller type riser and limb support presses do not spread the load equally
across split limb designed bows and can apply stresses above manufacture
limits on short limbs used on modern split limb bows - not to mention the
length of compression travel is greatly reduced on short split limbs makes
using the boat roller press not enough length to compress without making
contact with the cams.
All the above depends upon the roller press and the bow you put in it.
Some may work some may not without damage.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:59 PM

Couldn't help it some of the replies got me laughing..

Thought I might be able to build a DIY rifle cartridge sizing press or shotshell
crimping tool using this 15.00 craigslist bottle capper and a couple of 2x4s..

Total cost maybe 20.00 :-)
What could go wrong ?
Old 03-30-2020, 10:18 PM

Well after some deliberation I decided to go a different route than the ez green. I'd love to have one but just a little more spendy than I want to go right now. Ended up ordering the Synunm portable press. A lot less money and a Hoyt approved press as well. Looks like it will press about anything with that said.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:01 PM

When I was shooting my bow, the best for me was to get a small personal one one where i can take it where ever I want, think about it, if your 3 or 4 hours away from home hunting and some thing cuts your bow string, what would you do, just go back home, I always carried my personal one, so I could do what ever to my bow where ever I wanted, and how many times do you compress your bow, just to change strings.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
When I was shooting my bow, the best for me was to get a small personal one one where i can take it where ever I want, think about it, if your 3 or 4 hours away from home hunting and some thing cuts your bow string, what would you do, just go back home, I always carried my personal one, so I could do what ever to my bow where ever I wanted, and how many times do you compress your bow, just to change strings.
That's what this one is, a small portable press. Being small and compact will be nice hopefully it works out ok. Really had the ez green pegged as the one but with everything going on I'm in a bit of a more conservative mind set.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:07 PM

I have both a EZ Green and bowmaster for portable situations. I actually use my EZ Green a lot. Every 3 to 4 weeks I will shoot a bare shaft through paper and either adjust my cables for timing or yokes for left right tuning... strings will stretch and tunes don't last for ever. Also the bowmaster is only effective for an emergency hunting situation if you have an extra string and cables ready to go. And what I mean by that is they are already properly twisted for tune and have a d-loop and peep installed. If not it would be quicker to drive the 3 hours home and use your EZ Green. For hunting trip further than 1 hour, I just bring a back up bow... a heck of a lot easier.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I have both a EZ Green and bowmaster for portable situations. I actually use my EZ Green a lot. Every 3 to 4 weeks I will shoot a bare shaft through paper and either adjust my cables for timing or yokes for left right tuning... strings will stretch and tunes don't last for ever. Also the bowmaster is only effective for an emergency hunting situation if you have an extra string and cables ready to go. And what I mean by that is they are already properly twisted for tune and have a d-loop and peep installed. If not it would be quicker to drive the 3 hours home and use your EZ Green. For hunting trip further than 1 hour, I just bring a back up bow... a heck of a lot easier.
I 100% agree with this. Strings stretch, and things go out of tune over time. I have been using my EZ green quite regularly. Mind you I have multiple bows to tinker with. I used the portable presses before and they were such a hassle. Great for emergencies but wouldn't want to use as my primary way of working on bows. However I do understand the OP's point of having a conservative mindset during these uncertain times.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:11 PM

The Bowmaster G2 portable bowpress has worked great for me. Easy to throw in the truck for minor fixes when on hunting trips. It's just a cable type press.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:21 PM

Well what initially started as buying a bench press to do minor tuning and tweeks turned into buying a portable press as a compromise and then in the end turned in to using the portable press to install a new string and set it up.

All said and done definitely not as handy as a bench press and I'd love to get one in the future but it worked out ok. New string on the old Hoyt is installed with peep. Feeling pretty behind the 8 ball as it took a long time for the new string to come in but happy to have it installed and shooting. Cam lean is out and the bow is timed. Will do the finer adjustments once I shoot it some more but pretty happy with the results all considered.

One thing that kind of burned my butt with the press is the metal fingers that grab the limbs ended up digging in to the rubber shrink wrap type cover for the speed knocks on the string. Once I caught it I ended up wrapping them with electrical tape to avoid further damage. I think it will be worth filing and sanding out the edge on the metal fingers for the future. The edges aren't sharp enough to do damage to a string but I plan to send a bit of a complaint to synumn about this.

Anyways all in all pretty capable press and for the money I'm satisfied.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:12 AM

I used a portable Bowmaster cable press for many years (still carry it in truck on remote hunting trips) and a homemade pipe clamp press for the past 5 years. The pipe clamp press with wooden jaws I built works very well...google them on archery talk for ideas. Amazing how quick and easy it is to pop in a peep or rest cord with it versus the Bowmaster. String and cable changes aren't bad either.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:26 PM

Fulcrum archery will ship one to Canada for $90 USD, they are $389 USD for the basic press so $480 USD total $653 CAD.
Jim Bows are $799 & Canada Archery are $599 + shipping.