Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-02-2019, 09:38 AM
Banned

Default ...............

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/d...5-powder-5lbs/
Old 03-02-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
$25 bucks a pound is a good price but I have never used Dominion poweder. Do you know anything about it?
Old 03-02-2019, 11:07 AM
Banned

It is supposedly imr 4895, made in Canada.
There is no hazmat fee and ships free over 200$
I have not shot this yet but have ordered some.
IMR 4895 is 49$/lb at cabelas so it is essentially half price

Google "D4895 powder Canada ammo" and some Canada ammo threads on CGN should show up
Old 03-02-2019, 11:10 AM

A good price for sure, on a surplus propellant that will one day probably vanish.

Just what a guy needs, build a killer pet load, to one day have your perfect powder be no longer available.

Thank you I’ll stick with H or IMR, I can get it for $33.50/lb if I buy in bulk, and if I get some chums to get some powder too, I get free shipping and only a fraction of the haz mat fee added to that.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-02-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
A good price for sure, on a surplus propellant that will one day probably vanish.

Just what a guy needs, build a killer pet load, to one day have your perfect powder be no longer available.

Thank you I’ll stick with H or IMR, I can get it for $33.50/lb if I buy in bulk, and if I get some chums to get some powder too, I get free shipping and only a fraction of the haz mat fee added to that.
Just buy enough to wear out the barrel, most guns that is only 20 Lbs, you need to do up a new load after you re-barrel anyhow.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Just buy enough to wear out the barrel, most guns that is only 20 Lbs, you need to do up a new load after you re-barrel anyhow.
I guess that’s one way to do it.
And come to think of it the original 4831 was surplus 20mm powder from WW2, and it stuck around.

I’d have to expend my copious quantities of $27/pound Varget and 4350 before I made a switch to this Dominion stuff anyways.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-05-2019, 05:30 AM

In case anyone else is interested here is the answer from Canada Ammo. Analogous does not warm the cockles of my heart. I would be working up a load from below the min posted for IMR4895. The note from Canada Ammo seems to imply this powder comes with load data but I did not see it on their website nor was a source provided. I have asked Canada Ammo for the load data.

Here is the link to the maker's website. Apparently a very large company who has been around since 1914 and supplies a lot of powder to the U.S. military. Will likely be around a long time even though I had never heard of them before.

https://www.gd-ots.com/propellant-an...r-propellants/

Hi Dean,

It is made by GD-OTS in Quebec. As for the size, I cannot say but the burn rate is analogous to 4895, hence the load instructions. This is OEM grade, not canister.

Ticket: https://canadaammo.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/7231

On Sat, 2 Mar at 10:12 AM , Dean wrote:
Who actually makes this powder. Is the burn rate and grain size the same as IMR 4895? Thanks
Old 03-05-2019, 07:09 AM
Banned

Nice.

Quote:

What is this supposed to link to?
Old 03-05-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Nice.

What is this supposed to link to?
I should have eliminated that link, it just relates to the question I sent in. The other link is the useful one as it takes you to the maker's website.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
I should have eliminated that link, it just relates to the question I sent in. The other link is the useful one as it takes you to the maker's website.
Looks like decent stuff for my 223 Rem and 308 win.
Manufacturers load data is nice but a few safe rounds over a chrony and it should be figured out.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:58 AM

Here is the answer to asking for load data. Not the most helpful but it will definitely work. Good thing IMR 4895 likes light loads and doesn't cause any problems below min suggested loads.

Chris Y. –
As this is a oe powder there is no load data. You use imr less 10% and work up the load for each batch. This is stated on the can and on our website
Old 03-13-2019, 04:14 PM
Banned

Powder sold out apparently. Did anyone buy any?
Old 03-13-2019, 06:04 PM

Dominion became IMI (Imperial) which then became IMR.... IF my memory serves me right.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:14 PM

DuPont powders original Canadian
Old 03-14-2019, 12:39 PM

As far as I know it is the same old plant that has been in Quebec since WW2 or maybe WW1. Was Dupont owned, became IMI, then sold to General Dynamics, who runs the St.Marks plant and the Lake City plant as well. They also own a fair share of ADI in Australia, Bofors in Sweden, Vihtavouri in Finland and Ruag in Europe. All the Hodgdon and Winchester and IMR powders come from them, and they own the one and only source in N. America that makes the base material guncotton or nitrocellulose used to make all the powder in N. America. There was some worry in the US about that, after they shut down Redstone, who was the other plant that made it. Remington used to be Dupont as well, and the Quebec plant made some brass for them at one time, maybe still does.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:56 PM

I looked for that article on that base material for a while today, at one time, ATK was spun off from Honeywell, then they became involved with General Dynamics, then they split off Vista Outdoors, and part of ATK became Orbital ATK, who are now part of Grumman. Now it appears that it is General Dynamics, Vista and still ATK all involved in powder and ammo mfg. It's confusing, believe ATK is actually still part of General Dynamics, or a spinoff from it, same as Vista. One way or the other, the plant is a US gov't owned plant, run by contractors.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
As far as I know it is the same old plant that has been in Quebec since WW2 or maybe WW1. Was Dupont owned, became IMI, then sold to General Dynamics, who runs the St.Marks plant and the Lake City plant as well. They also own a fair share of ADI in Australia, Bofors in Sweden, Vihtavouri in Finland and Ruag in Europe. All the Hodgdon and Winchester and IMR powders come from them, and they own the one and only source in N. America that makes the base material guncotton or nitrocellulose used to make all the powder in N. America. There was some worry in the US about that, after they shut down Redstone, who was the other plant that made it. Remington used to be Dupont as well, and the Quebec plant made some brass for them at one time, maybe still does.
Very cool info, did not know a lot of that. Well worth the read, thanks for posting it.