Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-22-2016, 10:49 PM

Default Clear creek

Wanting to give clear creek near Caroline a try this weekend. 2 decently experienced fly fisherman and one brand new to the sport. Any help on water conditions and what to throw would be awesome, thanks!
Old 03-22-2016, 11:45 PM

Not much in there. Fished pretty hard and the refs don't help the population
Old 03-23-2016, 08:52 AM

From the culvert up to the first beaver dam is mostly silt filled and fishless. From the culvert down to the Clearwater, it is featureless and fishless except for under the bridge the farmer has placed across the creek. There is a good pool at the junction of the Clearwater, however that is not open until the first.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
From the culvert up to the first beaver dam is mostly silt filled and fishless. From the culvert down to the Clearwater, it is featureless and fishless except for under the bridge the farmer has placed across the creek. There is a good pool at the junction of the Clearwater, however that is not open until the first.
Isn't the culvert to beaver dam the only public stretch of this Creek anyway? Might be wrong. Anyway I say this sadly, since trying to wade that area was a nightmare. Anyway, I saw no fish and got skunked last year.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -carson- View Post
Isn't the culvert to beaver dam the only public stretch of this Creek anyway? Might be wrong. Anyway I say this sadly, since trying to wade that area was a nightmare. Anyway, I saw no fish and got skunked last year.
Not sure on the ownership. You'd think a prime bull trout spawning creek like that would have received better conservation efforts. I believe that all the sediment came from the cattle crossing upstream of the roadway. Very difficult wade I'm sure, not an easy float either.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Not sure on the ownership. You'd think a prime bull trout spawning creek like that would have received better conservation efforts. I believe that all the sediment came from the cattle crossing upstream of the roadway. Very difficult wade I'm sure, not an easy float either.
Seriously, it's very sad to see. On that note, anyone know of a good conservation organization to volunteer with?
Old 03-28-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -carson- View Post
Seriously, it's very sad to see. On that note, anyone know of a good conservation organization to volunteer with?
Hi there id recommend checking with trout unlimited Canada, cows and fish, nature conservancy just to name a few. In this area there is also the north Saskatchewan watershed alliance.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Clear creek was flooded out several years ago when the clearwater overran its banks. It hasn't been the same since.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitefishLady View Post
Hi there id recommend checking with trout unlimited Canada, cows and fish, nature conservancy just to name a few. In this area there is also the north Saskatchewan watershed alliance.
Thank-you, I will check it out!