Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2020, 10:18 AM

Thumbs up General Rick Hillier (and others) call for the award of at least one 'Victoria Cross'

Canada's Victoria Cross

News article 👉 https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/vic...lier-1.5796078
YouTube Vid 👉 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSuR0cQb08

I say, it's long past due ... Let's Do It ❗

Selkirk
Old 11-10-2020, 12:53 PM

Respectfully disagree with this.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:43 PM

If it’s deserved and meets the criteria for such an honour I say why not. Our soldiers made tremendous sacrifices during the Afghanistan mission many paid the ultimate price and we as Canadians should not forget their sacrifices.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
Respectfully disagree with this.
It's the ultimate decoration to which the highest standards apply. Time spent in theatre is not a valid criteria and it's awarding is not a public matter.

The Victoria Cross has been presented to 99 Canadians, or people closely associated with Canada, between its creation for acts performed during the Crimean War and 1993 when the Canadian Victoria Cross was instituted. No Canadian has received either honour since 1945.

Grizz
Old 11-10-2020, 03:13 PM

While I fully support recognizing servicemen that go above and beyond their duties, I don't agree with going back and reviewing actions from many years ago, just because we haven't awarded the VC in a long time.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

While I fully support recognizing servicemen that go above and beyond their duties, I don't agree with going back and reviewing actions from many years ago, just because we haven't awarded the VC in a long time.

Actually, Canada's VC has 'Never' been awarded.

What General Hillier, and others are saying, is that there are up to 10 possible cases in recent history, where Canada's VC should have been awarded, but wasn't ... and that's what this is all about.

Selkirk
Old 11-10-2020, 04:30 PM

In 1993 Canada was given the right to award the cross. Just because people at the time didn't award it, doesn't mean it shouldn't have been strongly considered. A lot of our servicemen in the Afghan era had boots on the ground longer than previous wars. There will be documentaries coming out on what our troops did. Watch them and then decide. I think it will turn out that some of our fellows equaled the Americans and Brits who were awarded the equivalent medals. General Hillier has long been an advocate for our soldiers and would not do this lightly.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:27 PM

Question Interesting concept- use public opinion to sway military awards

Sounds like General Hillier and other senior brass truly believe the REMF's failed to properly support their soldiers after combat operations? Wouldn't be the first time; still doesn't mean this is right.
How does the existing military hierarchy feel about this?
How do members that have served feel about this?

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-10-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
In 1993 Canada was given the right to award the cross. Just because people at the time didn't award it, doesn't mean it shouldn't have been strongly considered. A lot of our servicemen in the Afghan era had boots on the ground longer than previous wars. There will be documentaries coming out on what our troops did. Watch them and then decide. I think it will turn out that some of our fellows equaled the Americans and Brits who were awarded the equivalent medals. General Hillier has long been an advocate for our soldiers and would not do this lightly.

I agree with you. Sgt’s Tower and MacDonald of the PPCLI based in Edmonton have an interesting story if anyone is looking for some insight into some of the challenges our troops faced in Afghanistan.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:01 PM

Such awards take years to come military honours can depend on who does the paperwork. A lot of people did a lot of really crazy stuff over there changed the outcomes of many situations and were never recognized. if it takes years to go back and look over things I’m fine with that I think a lot of the guys deserved more than just the swasm for what happen on TF106.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:12 PM

My jump wings mean more to me than any of the gongs hanging below them. Those gongs brought me alot of money though, so I have no complaints.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:09 PM

It seems a bit ludicrous to have an award that no soldier has ever been honored with, certainly there will have been examples of great courage and selfless acts that qualified in the time since its creation. If nobody qualifies for such an honor in over a quarter century, then I'd suggest that the qualifications are too stringent!
Old 11-10-2020, 10:25 PM

Old 11-11-2020, 08:26 AM

So, would Canadian Victoria Crosses still be made from melted down Crimean War cannon ?

Grizz
Old 11-11-2020, 08:39 AM

No expert in military protocols so I would leave it to the military to determine if it is reasonable. In reading comments it appears many vets are against it interestingly enough. I wonder if it is too difficult to compare WW1 and WW2 fighting and actions of soldiers to today’s more computerized warfare?

Maybe the medals of the past should stay as is and be retired and new medals designed for the present?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-11-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
No expert in military protocols so I would leave it to the military to determine if it is reasonable. In reading comments it appears many vets are against it interestingly enough. I wonder if it is too difficult to compare WW1 and WW2 fighting and actions of soldiers to today’s more computerized warfare?

Maybe the medals of the past should stay as is and be retired and new medals designed for the present?
In Gen Hillier’s article it stated this decoration was created in 1993 previously it was a British decoration and administered as such.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:39 PM

Arrow Canada's Victoria Cross 🔽

Eligibility & Criteria:
The Canadian Victoria Cross is to be awarded for; "The most conspicuous bravery, a daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice or extreme devotion to duty, in the presence of the enemy", at any point after January 1st 1993.

History & Background 👉 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor...20be%20revoked.

Selkirk