Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 AM

Default Safe temperature to take the boat out

Hi guys,

new poster to this forum, but I've been browsing for a while.

Anyway, I'm wondering when it's safe to take my boat out for the first time this season? I got a boat last summer so I didn't really have to worry about it. I'm in Calgary and thinking of taking 'er out to Ghost Res on Sunday (as it's supposed to be 21C), but I'm not sure if it's safe due to the fact that there may still be some below zero weather coming our way.

Long term projections say that there won't be anything below 1C but that's not always accurate. Are I/O's safe to a particular temperature before you have to worry about draining the block again (say -2C)??

Any expert advise would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Van
Old 04-18-2012, 10:55 AM

Safer to drain if any where close to 0c. I know from experiance. Block cracked, manifolds cracked,just below 0c. In spring and fall I drain after every time.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:26 AM

Default Ghost

Isn't there still ice on ghost
Old 04-18-2012, 11:44 AM

I had mine out the other day , it was cold and snowing , We let our motors drain a good 1/2 hr 45 minutes before we left the place we were at .
Old 04-18-2012, 11:46 AM

Some parts of ghost still have over a foot of ice. probably will for at least a couple weeks.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:56 AM

you can put a trouble light in the doghouse, that will keep it from freezing if you don't know how to drain it.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:38 PM

its safe. i take my boat out well into December or as long as its not frozen over. Your good to go
Old 04-18-2012, 02:13 PM
pelada trochu

when you return, the outboard guys have to vertically park their motors and let them drain.

inboard guys have to put a trouble light or small heater beside the motor if there is any danger of frost. they also have to put the leg down to drain it too. **** dont drive away with it down, put a sticker or note on the trailer coupling so you dont even lift it up without raising the leg.

ounce of prevention vs pound of cure.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:33 PM

Yeah I just got a scouting report on Ghost. It still has some thick ice in sections and they're thinking that the first good rain will take care of it with the warming temperatures.

So I'm not taking her out this weekend, but maybe in another week or two. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for all of the feedback guys.