Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-16-2019, 03:45 PM

Default My 300 PRC Project

Well I decided to jump on the bandwagon and build a 300 PRC. I will try and share what I learn along the way with everyone on AO. I asked a bunch of questions but it seemed like no one else on here has built or bought a 300 PRC. I guess I will be the Guinea Pig.

I went with a Rem 700 Stainless LA Magnum as the action for the build. It will be going off to the smith hopefully next week to be chambered. Got the action at the Calgary Shooting Center.
https://www.theshootingcentre.com

I choose an International Barrels 26" 1/8 twist with 5R rifling in a Heavy Palma contour. I will be using the rifle for shooting mostly steel but some hunting. Seemed like a good choice, but in retrospect i maybe should have went 28". They were excellent to deal with had custom made the barrel and shipped it in less than 2 weeks! Ryan was great to deal with. Did I mention they are Canadian?
https://www.internationalbarrels.ca

The stock is going to come in next week and its a KRG Bravo from Scott at Red Star Targets. I have bought a few things from Scott and he is a Top Shelf Dude. Cant say enough good things about doing business with him. He has helped me with some great advice along the way with this latest project. http://www.redstartarget.com

I got a bunch of the added accessories (mag, rail and others) from MDT and they have proven excellent to deal with as per usual. I am excited about trying there muzzle brake as I have heard great things about it. They're staff are very well trained and answered all of my questions. Turnaround time on the shipping of the gear was really fast too. Very Pleased.
https://mdttac.com

I purchased the Ammo and Dies from Proline Shooting in Calgary. They were very helpful and got the ammo and the dies ordered and delivered in only a few days. Great Service.
https://prolineshooters.com

Once the rifle is completed I will post some pics. I will try and break it in and post some pics of how she groups. Not sure if I will chrono the break in and sight in shots but I might. If I do I will post that info if anyone is interested.

Here is a video of the above mentioned stuff

https://youtu.be/51DRfN7KPSo

I almost forgot, the smith doing the build will be Henry Rempel. He has built several rifles for me and I can not say enough good things about him. Every Rifle he has ever done for me has been spectacular. Always exceeds my expectations.

Last edited by markg; 06-16-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:39 PM

Thanks for sharing Mark, it looks like you've done your homework for this build.

My friend B Jury finished up my barrel last week and I handed it over to my other good friend R Galloway for the in-stall,,, a much simpler build then yours...

Cat said 6.5/06 in another thread a while ago,,, dang... I couldn't resist the urge to go this route. Ha...

Funny how we were both thinking of building at the same time...

👍
Old 06-16-2019, 08:17 PM

Default Nice

Ill bet she will be a beauty Don. Definately need to see some pics when she is done.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:09 AM

Same with your build Mark,,, the grander of a project that fits our needs,,, 👍.

I seen some awesome write ups on the PRC projects that the folks in the USA are building,,, those big cartridges deffinatly aline with the 1/4 mile race tracks. Ha...

Another idea that crossed my mind a few weeks ago was the 7mm Remington Mag,,, I was digging threw the shooting range brass bin when my eyes spotted something shinny on the bottom screen,,, I hadn't handle one of those cases for 27 ish years,,, dang it looked big in the mix of 223,,, 6.5 cases and the rest of the burn brass in 308 as well as 30- Ought-6,,, be dammed if I'd leave that shinny diamond case behind in the bin...

I've been carrying that case in my pocket for a while now,,, W-W SUPER 7mm REM MAG stamped on the head,,, the brass is just as shinny as the day I picked it up in the brass bin... Maybe it's a sign from up above... LOL

Any ways,,, its one project at a time,,, my life long friend in our area is scaling back on his collection of fine irons,,, both of his super customs are up for sale,,, 50 cal BMG and his Lazzeroni 338,,, He's keeping his 30 cal Warberg since its his critter getter,,, and many have tumbled over the years with it in his hands...

He was all about custom builds to,,, he always footed the bill for nice optics to match the package,,, hopefully he let's me take a few pictures of these irons next time I'm out there... Deffinatly a quality friend for all these years...
Old 06-18-2019, 06:58 AM

You'll like the idea of the 26" barrel Mark,,, the Palma contour with weigth will most likely keep it planted,,, I'm doing the 24" mid weigth barrel that is a fraction thicker then the Factory Sporter Spec,,, I'm sure that the idea will work for the shooting range time and hunting...

Don't get me right or wrong,,, I like my Remmy 30/06 LR with the 26" pipe,,, it really shines at the shooting range,,, but its a son of a gun working the thick buck-brush,,, Ha

Nothing like getting tangled up in the weeds as the Elk bolts past me before I get lined up with it,,, about 2 or 3 X's to soon realize that I've had better luck with the shorter pipes... Each to their own of course...

I liked the Remmy SPS sporter I was packing last year,,, 9 ish lbs all in with rigging,,, but the rubber stock and crappy trigger just didn't suit my needs at the range,,, it wasn't designed to be a shooting range gun,,, but it sure added freedom to the hunting grounds up north and in Ontario...

Had the rifle stock been more solid I would of kept it,,, a old used left hand Remmy ended up coming home with me a few months ago,,, so the SPS headed to a new home,,, a solid wood BDL stock and the action is what I kept for my build,,, the wood is in immaculate condition,,, that's what promoted my build...

Old school all round unit to fill both sides of the shooting sports,,, good times ahead when I put the unit to task,,, it won't be the best in either category,,, but it won't be the worst either. LOL

1 thing about custom builds,,, if we don't get it right from the get go,,, all we need to do is change a few things to really make it shine...

👍
Old 06-18-2019, 09:56 PM

Been pondering buying a 300 prc reamer. Ive got a 7mm and 338 based on the same case, if the 30 performs anything like the 7 and 338 you will be impressed!!!
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper