Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-09-2018, 09:23 AM
Banned

Default Meat locker info plz.

I have a good solid beam i just put up, I need one wall with a door that can be removed and stored, I have the air conditioner and the cool bot is on the way. Do I need to cover the walls with anything?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36FE1EF4-8B66-41DF-BD07-6DDA2964E52A.jpg (34.8 KB, 392 views)
Old 09-09-2018, 12:42 PM

Looks great but how do you get the garage door open once the animals or quarters are hanging? The door would have to be closed to hang as well? Just makes things a bit more tricky is all.
That's a pretty large area to try to cool even with a coolbot or two setup in a couple air conditioners. Otherwise I can't see too much issue.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:24 PM
Banned

Good enamel paint on your walls. Would make it easier to wipe off the blood.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
Looks great but how do you get the garage door open once the animals or quarters are hanging? The door would have to be closed to hang as well? Just makes things a bit more tricky is all.
That's a pretty large area to try to cool even with a coolbot or two setup in a couple air conditioners. Otherwise I can't see too much issue.
That’s the door into the back yard, ill come in through the other side. The area is 7 feet deep, 7.5 wide and 9.5 high, I need to add a wall, you can see the wall on the right that I will tie into and there will be a door in the wall to bring the meat in through. I thought a cool bot and 12000 aircondition would work in that size?

Last edited by Xbolt7mm; 09-09-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:07 PM

If you are just hanging up your quarters for 5-10 days - you probably just need to keep and eye on temperature - nothing more, nothing less. You will loose some cooling on warm days through the doors and any cracks, but as it cools off outside, you should be in good shape.

It's a good idea to give your meat a quick wipe down and get all the hair off, cut (trim) away anything you need to, and dry it off well and hang it up and let it tenderise and hang out.

We have done it exactly this way for years ..... no issues
Old 09-09-2018, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
If you are just hanging up your quarters for 5-10 days - you probably just need to keep and eye on temperature - nothing more, nothing less. You will loose some cooling on warm days through the doors and any cracks, but as it cools off outside, you should be in good shape.

It's a good idea to give your meat a quick wipe down and get all the hair off, cut (trim) away anything you need to, and dry it off well and hang it up and let it tenderise and hang out.

We have done it exactly this way for years ..... no issues
My garage has hot and cold running water and the wife likes it to be around 10 so the cooler can keep it cool from the garage in the cold times and cool when its hot out,, black shingles does make a difference for heating up the building to lol. Ill figure out something for the walls i think,, thx for the help
Old 09-09-2018, 03:48 PM

What is a cool bot? BEL
Old 09-09-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
That’s the door into the back yard, ill come in through the other side. The area is 7 feet deep, 7.5 wide and 9.5 high, I need to add a wall, you can see the wall on the right that I will tie into and there will be a door in the wall to bring the meat in through. I thought a cool bot and 12000 aircondition would work in that size?
I think you're in good shape man. You'll be surprised how well a properly insulated garage and just leaving a garage door cracked at night will work to keep it cool alone. I had an AC unit and it was useless this way as I didn't have the cool bot so it wouldn't kick in below 55F. So all it was doing was pulling in air warmer outside then was already cooled off inside overnight. Looks like you don't have any windows, otherwise I would cover those up to keep the hot sunlight out too if that is the case?

Nice setup though, I like it and will be sure to use similar ideas for mounting in my next setup!
Old 09-09-2018, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL View Post
What is a cool bot? BEL
It’s a device that changes the operating parameters of a window air conditioner. Allows it to go down to 33 degrees ish
Old 09-10-2018, 10:54 AM

Vapor barrier is always on the warm side. If that is part of your garage you could end up with moisture condensing in your walls.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp hunter View Post
Vapor barrier is always on the warm side. If that is part of your garage you could end up with moisture condensing in your walls.
i would go with this idea and also tuck tape.. would be temporary or even tarps.. but vapor barrier sounds better & it would let in the light to see.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:37 PM

Snow is coming Wednesday boys probably won't need it LOL

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2018, 06:59 PM
Banned

It actually sounds like a bad idea with drywall and baton insulation. I’m concerned about excess humidity and three walls are part of my house, my dream may have died
Old 09-10-2018, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
It actually sounds like a bad idea with drywall and baton insulation. I’m concerned about excess humidity and three walls are part of my house, my dream may have died
Would it be any worse then your bath room?
Old 09-11-2018, 06:48 AM

Especially with the amount being used and the time of the year I wouldn't worry too much about it. Not like you're running a butchering business out of it or anything. Maybe just leave the door cracked for a couple days after the animal is processed to air out the garage and bring the moisture levels back to normal.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
Especially with the amount being used and the time of the year I wouldn't worry too much about it. Not like you're running a butchering business out of it or anything. Maybe just leave the door cracked for a couple days after the animal is processed to air out the garage and bring the moisture levels back to normal.
Cool bot is aggressively stating to not have dry wall or Fiberglas insulation within 2 feet of the cooler wall, i dunno what to do lol
Old 09-22-2018, 08:45 PM
Banned

Well,, just have to insulate it now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DF280E67-9D21-4964-9A42-6950860EC096.jpg (36.1 KB, 56 views)
Old 09-22-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I have a good solid beam i just put up, I need one wall with a door that can be removed and stored, I have the air conditioner and the cool bot is on the way. Do I need to cover the walls with anything?
Your going to bid in your hangers in your garage. I done that last year my garage wall are only 8 feet high so i boxed in my hangars and glue styrofoam insulation. I put my ac compressor on a switch and left the fan running and I got to 0 degrees or so in my garage. I meant to make my own cool bot this summer just never got around to it. But I still off the plywood with insulation so next year I will complete it.

Sorry for long asnswer but I think you will be fine.