Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-07-2016, 08:03 PM

Default Jiffy Ice Auger Carb Problems

I have an old ice jiffy auger. Carb giving me problems due to the ethanol issue. Looking for a replacement carb. Anyone know where to get one. I had the same issue with my old big bear quad and had to replace the entire carb., as the issue is with the low idle jet and the ethanol seems to corrode it to such a point that you can't get it out to clean it. I bought a new four stroke jiffy but still want to get this old faithful going. If you have the newer fuel injection units not much of an issue but if you have a carb look out.....thanks
Old 02-07-2016, 08:14 PM

use premium fuel it has no ethanol
Old 02-07-2016, 09:13 PM

Default Jiffy carb

I bought a replacement carb ( diaphragm type $150 ) for my jiffy 30 from the Lawn Mower Hospital in Edmonton. I now use aspen fuel (5year life, ethanol free) which I also bought from the LMH. I have dealt with them a few times and they know what they are talking about, and are very helpful.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:42 PM

Default Jiffy Carb problems

You might try filling the carb with seafoam and letting it soak for an hour or so. Put some fresh gas in the tank then try to start it. Seafoam can be a great carb cleaner.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowland View Post
You might try filling the carb with seafoam and letting it soak for an hour or so. Put some fresh gas in the tank then try to start it. Seafoam can be a great carb cleaner.
This is exactly how I got my old man's running. Run Shell premium in it and it runs like a top now. Doesn't miss a beat!
Old 02-07-2016, 11:03 PM

Not sure where u live but action small engines in Calgary may have one. The jiffy site also shows u where u can take your jiffy too. PS. I was always told not to use premium as it burns out those small engines. I did like how my auger ran when I did use it however
Old 02-08-2016, 08:30 AM
Banned

Seafoam, it's a miracle in a bottle.

I use that **** on everything.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowland View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
This is exactly how I got my old man's running. Run Shell premium in it and it runs like a top now. Doesn't miss a beat!
X3 I would put some extra strengh in the gas tank, pull it over a dozen times to circulate through the system, some str8 into the carb and let it sit for a day. Dump all out and add fresh shell premium gas, change plug and try that first before rebuilding the carb. $ 15.00 is a cheap effective repair if it works. Check the fuel lines for cracks and replace if needed. Sometimes in the small engines there is a filter in the tank that gets gumed up and that is the problem. Thats why it's good to drain all gas when storeing for long periods , even in your boat if it's a 2 cycle.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:12 PM

Default Jiffy Carb Problems

Thanks for the replies. Will try the seafoam trick, if that doesn't work will give the LMH a call.