Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-23-2018, 05:24 AM

Default Best spinning reel for under 200

I read the under 100 dollar thread, interesting.

My Abu Garcia spinning reel is not lasting nearly as long as I wanted.

Is there a 15 yr reel for under 200 out there?

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-23-2018, 05:29 AM

I’ve been using the quantum energy series spinning reels for almost that long, not sure about the new models though , but the casting reels have been holding up to sturgeon and river conditions.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:17 AM
Banned

Shimano. Buy the most expensive Shimano you can afford. I’ve had all types of reels but it seems my Shimano’s never die. $200 will almost get you into a Stradic, get yourself one of those and you’re set for life. If the Stradic is too much have a look at the Ultegra or even the new Nasci, I’ve heard good things about that reel.

This is just based on my experience. Right now I have about a dozen spinning reels, my oldest ones (and newest for that matter) are Shimano but the two broken ones are a Quantum Catalyst and a Diawa Theory. If I were you I would save up a little more and get into a Shimano Sustain. I have a couple Stella’s but can’t tell the difference between them and my Sustain when I’m fishing.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:51 AM

Currently using a Pfleuger Supreme XT and has served me well for several years now and has been well used and have been very happy with it.
I would also second the Shimano post in here as well as they make a great product.

Being this time of year I would also watch for some good sales and Black Friday is also coming up soon where you may be able to snag a good deal locally or online. Just have your selection down to a couple so if you see the right one you grab it quickly. Example I was working down in the U.S. a few years back and picked up q $300 bait caster at Cabelas for $99 bucks that sold for over $400 up here on Black Friday. There will be deals to be had.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:35 AM

That's what I'm waiting for Black Friday. But I want to be ready and know what I want.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-23-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
That's what I'm waiting for Black Friday. But I want to be ready and know what I want.
If you are going to spend $200 on a reel save the extra for a stradic c14.

there isn't really any in the 120-200 bracket that are vastly better than the $100 reels

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2018, 08:48 AM

Shimano start at Sedona or Sahara and go up from there in the model line
Old 09-23-2018, 12:01 PM

Timely question. Im in the market for a new reel to. Ive been thinking the Shimano Nasci or the Ultegra might be it. Stradic C14 i feel might be to light to balance some rods and its way over $200.
Dont know if thats any help but ive been holding off and sorta researching before i pull the pin. Pretty sure it will be a Shimano from what ive been able to deduce.

Some of my Siennas and one Sedona lasted pretty long with steady casting only not bait fishing for 4-5 years but getting loose and noisy now. So yup at least the Sahara and up.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:01 PM
Banned

Shimano Stradic.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:15 PM

Default Best spinning reel for under 200

For sub $200 I would look at the Pfleuger Supreme XT and the Shimano Ultegra. If you are looking for sales I would add the Stradic and Stradic Ci 4+. I’m not a big fan of the thin bail wires on the Quantum reels, but the Smoke and Vapour are sub $200 as well. I think the Stradic would be the longest lasting of all these, however they are $279 at Cabelas right now.

The Rapala Concept reels look really good too, but they are hard to find in person.

My sons Abu Garcia Orra SX has not lasted long either, but my Soron STX has been great. I believe the Soron is made in Sweden whereas the Orra is not which may be the difference. The Abu Revo reels look nice but I worry about their longevity after the experience with the Orra.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-23-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Right now I have about a dozen spinning reels, my oldest ones (and newest for that matter) are Shimano but the two broken ones are a Quantum Catalyst and a Diawa Theory.
Is that catalyst toast? I've been looking for a used handle and screw for a size 20 (10-30 are all the same handle).
Old 09-23-2018, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
Is that catalyst toast? I've been looking for a used handle and screw for a size 20 (10-30 are all the same handle).
Not toast, the drag is burnt out though. Wouldn’t take a lot of arm twisting to get it from me, I have 2 of them that would go so you’ll have parts.

Too bad you’re in Saskatchewan.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:35 PM

I am not hugely picky about my spinning reels. I only buy a spinning reel if they are under $100 and preferably come with a rod. But the one MUST have for me on a reel is the Quick Fire mechanism. I dont think I could ever use a spin reel without one anymore.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:02 AM

Shimano stradic and sustains almost never go on sale.. and if they do you might get $20off.. the time too buy was when wholesale sports was going out of business,, stradic were going for $140 sustains for about 240. I'm a huge advocate of shimano reels. I picked up lifetime supply's of stradic s sustains and tekotas.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Currently using a Pfleuger Supreme XT and has served me well for several years now and has been well used and have been very happy with it.
I would also second the Shimano post in here as well as they make a great product.

Being this time of year I would also watch for some good sales and Black Friday is also coming up soon where you may be able to snag a good deal locally or online. Just have your selection down to a couple so if you see the right one you grab it quickly. Example I was working down in the U.S. a few years back and picked up q $300 bait caster at Cabelas for $99 bucks that sold for over $400 up here on Black Friday. There will be deals to be had.
My vote is on the Pflueger Supreme XT as well.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy45 View Post
My vote is on the Pflueger Supreme XT as well.
Add me to the Pflueger list as well.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post
If you are going to spend $200 on a reel save the extra for a stradic c14.

there isn't really any in the 120-200 bracket that are vastly better than the $100 reels.
Shimano all the way for me too.

I would agree that once you get to that price point, the best option is to save a few more $$$ somewhere else and step up to the Stradic, it's a lifetime investment. You should be able to pick up a Stradic FK or CI4 on sale for $225-250 if you shop The Fishin Hole Boxing Day sale or the Black Friday sales. That extra $25-50 isn't a whole lot of cash in the big picture, but it makes a big difference in reel performance and durability.

If that's not in the cards, then I'd look to find a NASCI or Ultegra on sale. If I'd disagree at all with the above poster, it would be that there's no difference in the reels above $100. Either one of those models is going to be a pretty big step up from the reels just tickling the $100 mark in terms of features and build quality.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:23 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate them. Will wait for Black Friday or boxing day sales, try for one of those 300 dollar reels on sale.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-25-2018, 08:51 AM

I was fortunate enough to receive a Loomis rod and Stradic Ci4 reel for Christmas. Fantastic combination-very sensitive, haven't used the old one since. My vote would be for the Ci4.....great reel.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:01 AM
Banned

Stradic or sustain, you should be good for 15-20 years.
Ci4 is a nice reel but too light for general use.

My sustain has held up good so far, 10-12 years of service and it still functions as new. I only use braided lined.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Stradic or sustain, you should be good for 15-20 years.
Ci4 is a nice reel but too light for general use.

My sustain has held up good so far, 10-12 years of service and it still functions as new. I only use braided lined.
What do you mean by to light?

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Banned

Go with a Shimano when it comes to bearings/gears and smooth you really can't beat the smoothness of Shimano. Many manufacturers have reels with lots of bearings just not the smooth to go with it.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
What do you mean by to light?

Both the Stradic Ci4 and the Pfleuger Supreme XT are magnesium bodies. This makes them lighter reels, but they don’t handle saltwater at all. They haven’t been around as long as the traditional reel body materials so the jury is still out on their long term durability for freshwater applications.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:41 PM

I am very happy with my Nasci for the price. Lot of good choices.

For a reel that will truly last you 15 years, find a Mitchell 300 on ebay or amazon. No one has ever improved on it anyhow.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I read the under 100 dollar thread, interesting.

My Abu Garcia spinning reel is not lasting nearly as long as I wanted.

Is there a 15 yr reel for under 200 out there?
Penn Fierce II, all metal body, nice casting, bait switch, great reel (except US built lol)
Old 09-26-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Both the Stradic Ci4 and the Pfleuger Supreme XT are magnesium bodies. This makes them lighter reels, but they don’t handle saltwater at all. They haven’t been around as long as the traditional reel body materials so the jury is still out on their long term durability for freshwater applications.
I can't speak to the Pflueger, but you are entirely incorrect when it comes to the CI4.

The Stradic CI4 is carbon fiber with a titanium bail. It also has Core Protect, which means it is 100% sealed, and is therefore not only rated for salt water use by Shimano, but actually a favourite among the inshore saltwater crowd due to the light weight, strength of the body, X-Ship gearing, and the excellent drag.

I wouldn't worry about the long term durability of the Stradics, the bodies have a very solid track record, the gear mechanisms are cold forged in Shimano's own proprietary factories and they're supported by sealed stainless steel bearings.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I can't speak to the Pflueger, but you are entirely incorrect when it comes to the CI4.

The Stradic CI4 is carbon fiber with a titanium bail. It also has Core Protect, which means it is 100% sealed, and is therefore not only rated for salt water use by Shimano, but actually a favourite among the inshore saltwater crowd due to the light weight, strength of the body, X-Ship gearing, and the excellent drag.

I wouldn't worry about the long term durability of the Stradics, the bodies have a very solid track record, the gear mechanisms are cold forged in Shimano's own proprietary factories and they're supported by sealed stainless steel bearings.

I stand corrected! The Pfleuger Supreme XT is magnesium but not the Ci4.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:13 AM
Banned

Ci4 have composite housing and are somewhat flexible at the foot, it just doesn't give me confidence. When working 1oz or heavier jig that plastic feel really shows. Great for crankbaits and medium fast rods. Not so much for jiging with fast action rods. The other thing is it is too light and will not balance out, however i like spin rods in 7'6"-9'.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Ci4 have composite housing and are somewhat flexible at the foot, it just doesn't give me confidence. When working 1oz or heavier jig that plastic feel really shows. Great for crankbaits and medium fast rods. Not so much for jiging with fast action rods. The other thing is it is too light and will not balance out, however i like spin rods in 7'6"-9'.
How old is your CI4?

The original model did have some flex in it for sure, but the newer CI4+ and CI4 HGFB are every bit as solid or more solid than any metal reel on the market.

I guess this just goes to show that there truly are different strokes for different folks. I've never heard that before, and I have never in my life thought my CI4 had a "plastic" feel, no matter what size lure I was fishing. I'd also highly recommend the CI4 for jigging applications where you're using Fast or Extra Fast action rods, that's what it was designed for and that's where it really shines in my opinion. The light weight and carbon body make it the perfect reel for finesse techniques that require sensitivity.

To my mind, lighter is always better, but there are several sizes available, with differing weights. Rod balance is a whole other topic...
Old 09-27-2018, 08:05 AM
Banned

Its first generation, and it definitely flexes. I am not claiming to be know it all or skilled at beating internet facts however as a user of product i can comment on my observation.