Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-21-2018, 09:23 AM

Default Hitting same field in a wknd

Good morning all.

Hitting a fresh quarter not hunted yet this year for geese—about 700-1000 geese. Hunting it tomorrow morning (damn snow), in bad weather. Most of my other fields aren’t in good shape. Just curious if a complete waste of time to hit it the next morning as well. They have been there every morning for about 2 weeks.
Have a feeling I shouldn’t, but have a buddy coming in from out of town just to hunt, and the only other field that I can get into only has a dozen birds, so……
Old 09-21-2018, 09:47 AM

If the birds are still there today, then that is as good indicator you have that they will return tomorrow.

That said,,, no guarantees ever in goose hunting,,, particularly in this kind of weather.

Is it a pea field? Geese are starting to find alternate sources of feed,,, after a few days of eating wet soggy mushy peas, they do tend to turn off peas.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:51 AM

Shoot it one morning and for sure there will be nothing there for a good week or more. Best thing if you can is to have someone spotting where they go after you have been shooting then set up in that field. But make sure they are in the same spot the night before.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Shoot it one morning and for sure there will be nothing there for a good week or more. Best thing if you can is to have someone spotting where they go after you have been shooting then set up in that field. But make sure they are in the same spot the night before.
There is a large pond within town limits where they go at night. Wonder if I go back and check that field the night before? It is their go to field closest to their roost.

When they go, they go back to that pond, or a field that is within town limits-so no go.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:46 AM

I think the only way to know for sure would just be to hunt it in the morning and scout it again that night.
This week we hunted a wheat field Tuesday morning with probably 1000 snows on it, went out scouting Wednesday evening for a Thursday morning shoot and there was even more snows on the same field than before and hunted it again. Tough to predict what the birds are going to do.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:16 AM

The snows were in and out in days.

Grabbed this bad boy, cant wait to try it tomorrow.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/68719...da-goose-decoy
Old 09-21-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post

Ive been curious about those! From what I have read/heard, Canadas do not like much movement so people do not use mojos when hunting them but i have also seen videos where people do use them. Send me a PM when you use it and let me know how it goes if you feel so inclined!
Old 09-21-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
Ive been curious about those! From what I have read/heard, Canadas do not like much movement so people do not use mojos when hunting them but i have also seen videos where people do use them. Send me a PM when you use it and let me know how it goes if you feel so inclined!
Supposed to work great. Wings have a variable speed too, low and slow. Keeps their eyes off the blind too
Old 09-21-2018, 01:52 PM

I have one - it seems to help.

Alba gu brath!
Old 09-21-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post

Take it back...trust me. Spend the money on fuel scouting.

Get a Magic Mike instead...better yet, make one.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:34 PM

If the birds are back feeding in the field in the afternoon after the morning shoot, you should be good to go the next morning.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:24 AM

Well, was an interesting weekend for sure. Did well Saturday, but lost two cripples in the bush, looked hard, but so much undergrowth, no luck. No birds on there that night, but buddy up here just to hunt, so we head out anyway.

Lots of birds coming in, but kept flaring off, couldn't figure it out. Got 2 big greaters, called her a day. Leaving the field, saw three coyotes on the perimeter scoping things out. Pretty sure they got those two cripples and looking for more. That would explain that then. Think next weekend will be giving the birds a rest and time to thin out these damn coyotes. Getting real sick of them buggers.

Oh, and that stupid $300 goose flapper thing got returned yesterday---what a waste of money.

All in all, avoided doing any painting at home, and hunted all weekend, good times all around.