Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-28-2018, 03:18 AM

Default Casting advice

Any tips on a better cast? Whats the problem when the line seems to catch up with the fly, a good size wooly, and just kind of go slack and drop.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:43 AM

Best time I ever spent learning to cast was watching Youtube videos and time spent at the park. I was an alright caster, maybe a little below, years ago when I quite fishing. When I came back to it 10 years ago I studied videos and practiced like crazy at the park. Now I would say I am more than proficient.

Timing is everything and the only way to get a feel for it is to spend time with the line in the air. Make sure to learn the double haul if you are looking for distance.

Lefty Kreh has some good videos as does Orvis. Once you get good, there is a lot of satisfaction that comes with being able to cast well.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-28-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Best time I ever spent learning to cast was watching Youtube videos and time spent at the park. I was an alright caster, maybe a little below, years ago when I quite fishing. When I came back to it 10 years ago I studied videos and practiced like crazy at the park. Now I would say I am more than proficient.

Timing is everything and the only way to get a feel for it is to spend time with the line in the air. Make sure to learn the double haul if you are looking for distance.

Lefty Kreh has some good videos as does Orvis. Once you get good, there is a lot of satisfaction that comes with being able to cast well.
^^ This. sounds like your not holding your back cast long enough. Don't be afraid to watch behind you and wait for that loop to roll.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxh View Post
^^ This. sounds like your not holding your back cast long enough. Don't be afraid to watch behind you and wait for that loop to roll.
x2

Most times when people are struggling with their casting it is due to not waiting long enough during their back cast or letting the fly rod get to far past your head.

I would suggest focusing on these two things and that should clean up a lot of your issues.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:13 AM

Over line the rod with at least two line weights so you can feel it load.

Use the tried and true method of placing a plate between your arm and your body which will stop most of the issues of wrist breaking. Move your arm away from your body and the plate falls. Wife's dinner plates are best.

Cast short. No more than 30'.

Use a yarn "fly" so you can see how everything performs.

Watch You tube.

Find a comment mentor.

Don
Old 09-02-2018, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jucebox View Post
Any tips on a better cast? Whats the problem when the line seems to catch up with the fly, a good size wooly, and just kind of go slack and drop.
Wait till your fly has completely reached back before extending your arm forward... some people want to start forward motion too soon.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:20 AM

Consider taking casting lessons with an accredited instructor.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 09-03-2018, 11:45 AM

Slow things down . Make sure you stop at end of back cast , feel the line load and punch forward.