Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-07-2016, 03:26 PM

Default flashers

I am thinking about buying a Marcum flasher. What model would you guys that have one would recommend.
Thank You!
Old 02-07-2016, 05:05 PM

LX7 all the way!
Old 02-07-2016, 05:13 PM

Default Flashers

I purchased a Marcum Showdown 5.6 this year and really like it. Very easy to use and understand. Top is top, bottom is bottom. Not a bad price (got mine at Wholesale Sports) really wouldn't want to fish without it. Took the kids out fishing and it kept them entertained for hours.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhard View Post
I am thinking about buying a Marcum flasher. What model would you guys that have one would recommend.
Thank You!
I have a LX5 and a Humminbird ice 35. I got the Marcum used the 35 new for just under $300. If I lost both I would buy another Ice 35, its very comparable to the LX5, but has a much bigger screen.
I'm not really sure why anyone would need more than an Ice 35. The marcum has better target separation and more watts, but I haven't seen a difference in readings when a fish is there.
the LX7 has sonar, but for the $600 I think its too much when you can compare it to the ICE 35 and what it does extra. You can get 2 Ice 35s for the price of one LX7, and I use 2 flashers all the time.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:47 PM

Default Flasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ C View Post
I purchased a Marcum Showdown 5.6 this year and really like it. Very easy to use and understand. Top is top, bottom is bottom. Not a bad price (got mine at Wholesale Sports) really wouldn't want to fish without it. Took the kids out fishing and it kept them entertained for hours.
I like the showdown as well, I looked at a lot of reviews and youtube views and found that for challenged tech guy like me this was the one. Simple easy to read'. I have some friends that have the other ones with the dial and find them a little hard to get used to/read, but it's like everything else once you play with it enough it'll make sense. Too bad you don't have some friends that have both, only way you'll really know which one you'll like. I like the simple which as the quote says, up is up and down is down. Watch some youtube videos..
Old 02-07-2016, 07:09 PM

Anyone of them are good. Depends how much u want to spend. I have the LX3 and 5. Love them both. Been very reliable
Old 02-07-2016, 07:18 PM

I have a hummingbird ice 55 for sale.
350$ located in Edmonton
Old 02-07-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finner-duramax View Post
I have a hummingbird ice 55 for sale.
350$ located in Edmonton
I suggest the OP to buy as it is a good flasher for a good deal. I just bought a marcum troller 2.0 package which is nice but this hummer 55 is the same price for a nicer flasher.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:49 PM

Thumbs up

Go with the lx3 if on a budget and if money isn't a problem at all I'd get the lx5.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:51 PM
Banned

Get the LX7. Made for run and gun
Old 02-07-2016, 11:26 PM

Truth be told any Marcum, Humminbird or Vexlar will do the job and last a long time.
It really comes down to money and preference. I think the best way to choose is to play with all 3 and pick one you like best.
I'm sure everyone will recommend every brand and model and in the end you'll be right back where you are now with no idea.
Put each model in demo mode and see what you think is best.
Yet I second the recommendation on that Ice 55. That's a steal and a great unit.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:01 AM

I bought a Marcum LX-3 in December. By mid January I had 3 different things go wrong with it. The bottom mark was always moving around so it was hard to tell how deep I was, the knob that selects the depth range stripped and moved around freely and then finally the entire unit just crapped out on me for no apparent reason (while up north on a weekend trip). So after 6 weeks my $530 unit was gone sent back to Marcum... I'm still awaiting it to be fixed/replaced. Not happy that I'm now in the middle of the ice season and can't use my brand new toy. I would NOT recommend Marcum to anyone! I also know 2 other guys who had theirs break on them (one was 2 weeks old the other was just under a year old)
Old 02-08-2016, 08:07 AM

Sorry for kinda high jacking this thread but before I came on this forum I never heard of a flasher before. So my question is what are they for? Are they a ice fishing fish finder, or a depth finder?
Old 02-08-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
Sorry for kinda high jacking this thread but before I came on this forum I never heard of a flasher before. So my question is what are they for? Are they a ice fishing fish finder, or a depth finder?
They let you know when a fish is in the area and let you know the depth you're in as well. I used to think they were kind of useless...that is until I used one and now I don't like fishing without it. There are some good informative videos on youtube.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:48 AM

Default Flashers

Just remember, Flasher recommendations are are probably the same as quad and truck. What ever make or model some one has is the best one to buy. As previously stated above they all are good , go and check out the features on each and try to "demo" with a fellow ice fisher on the ice. Most guys do not mind showing their Equipment. If you see "Spoons" Or "Duramax01" on the ice they have two different makes and fish together. It's a good comparison. Both units are good but different.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:07 AM

I would take my Humminbird 55 over any Marcum.

Buddy uses an LX5 and the screen is too small imo. I don't want an LX7/9 because they are too big and awkward for flasher hoping.

LX3 and VX1 would be decent but I want dual beam for going to Cold Lake etc so that writes them off.

I like the large screen on the Humminbird, it really helps me better differentiate size and numbers of fish.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:38 AM

Default Ice55

I have the ice 55 love it
Old 02-08-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSniper View Post
I bought a Marcum LX-3 in December. By mid January I had 3 different things go wrong with it. The bottom mark was always moving around so it was hard to tell how deep I was, the knob that selects the depth range stripped and moved around freely and then finally the entire unit just crapped out on me for no apparent reason (while up north on a weekend trip). So after 6 weeks my $530 unit was gone sent back to Marcum... I'm still awaiting it to be fixed/replaced. Not happy that I'm now in the middle of the ice season and can't use my brand new toy. I would NOT recommend Marcum to anyone! I also know 2 other guys who had theirs break on them (one was 2 weeks old the other was just under a year old)
X2
Old 02-08-2016, 04:34 PM

Just bought a Marcum vx1i. I love it. Great entry level unit.

Does everything I would need in a flasher.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:11 PM

Default flasher

Thank You all for your comments and suggestions. The reason I was thinking on a Marcum flasher was that I have a Marcum camera and it has been fantastic. I see the Marcum 3tic only comes with a 20 degree cone as the lx5i has the 8/20 degree and more ptp power if that makes a difference.
The reason I was looking for a flasher was to run an gun for perch in deep water and leave the camera in the tent.
I watched a lot of vids on the Marcum units and they seem fairly easy to learn.
They are pricey but the money is not a problem and the same with any electronics you buy, they can be good or they can be duds. Try and find one with a good warranty I guess.
Again Thank You for all the replies and tight lines!
Fishhard