Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-27-2023, 12:22 PM

Ya, my Schuetzen rifle was 15lbs, it never went hunting with me, but also took two shots to come up to sight-in POI, my TAC A1 will run around the 13-14lb mark, may hit 15 with arca and sling, stock gun, 4.5-30x56 Delta stryker, Burris rings, ain't taking it out except for very short walk to a stand, maybe, if I ever do that..

Cat----the match I went to where the 1885 got weighed, was a hunter class benchrest at APRA, that was 10lbs max, they said the 2oz was OK, scope being the 4.5-14x44 Zeiss Conquest had to be turned down to 9x and they taped the mag ring with masking tape, and I wasn't eligible for any prizes. That was OK by me, as I only wanted to verify the scope reticle at 300.
Old 12-27-2023, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
I have to give you credit. Must be a tough bugger to pack a 14lb rifle if your on foot all day. Would wear me out.
I'm 32 years young and I like the challenge. I think mostly with my PRS and other long range shooting competitions I do, I don't mind it. What I really enjoy is the short barrel for maneuvering in the bush. Shot 3 bucks with that rifle and 2 coyotes. All 1 shot and only 2 bucks went 30-40m from impact. Its a handy rifle to throw in the truck or tractor and get going. Like I said, it's an everything rifle.
Old 12-27-2023, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Ya, my Schuetzen rifle was 15lbs, it never went hunting with me, but also took two shots to come up to sight-in POI, my TAC A1 will run around the 13-14lb mark, may hit 15 with arca and sling, stock gun, 4.5-30x56 Delta stryker, Burris rings, ain't taking it out except for very short walk to a stand, maybe, if I ever do that..

Cat----the match I went to where the 1885 got weighed, was a hunter class benchrest at APRA, that was 10lbs max, they said the 2oz was OK, scope being the 4.5-14x44 Zeiss Conquest had to be turned down to 9x and they taped the mag ring with masking tape, and I wasn't eligible for any prizes. That was OK by me, as I only wanted to verify the scope reticle at 300.
An ounce or two won't be a deal breaker for sure, and neither will scope power , these days lots of guys are running big power scopes. If you can use it all the more power to you .
My son weighed his Browning B78 with its RKS 6.5/284
Barrel, and it is right on the max! LOL
Cat
Old 12-27-2023, 07:08 PM

KS Arms 6.5cm in a wildcat with an SHV 8lbs 14oz
Weatherby Accuguard in a B&C 257wby with a VX2 9lbs 9oz
Weatherby Vanguard in a B&C 308win with an SHV 9lbs 12oz

I have no problems carrying those rifles. They are solid and shoot well. Kifaru gunbearer is nice to have as well.
Old 12-28-2023, 08:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

6.5 lbs and packs a punch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-28-2023, 09:13 AM

I don't bother putting them on a scale, but I like lighter, trim stocking rifles, in modest cartridges, with walnut stocks.
Old 12-28-2023, 11:53 AM

Mines heavier than I expected, 8.8 lbs with 3 in the clip.
Old 12-28-2023, 06:45 PM

My hunting rig is a Dodge truck at 7500 pounds.
The rifle I would use these days is a Brno in 458 at about 10 pounds. With 500 grain bullets it is punishing but with 300 grainers its like a shotgun.
Old 12-28-2023, 07:44 PM

Pretty much all my rigs weigh around 7.5 lbs trailside, which seems to be the sweet spot for me. Light enough that I can pack it in-hand all day, still settles nicely for offhand shots.

Just got to ask, how many of you guys packing rigs much lighter than 7lbs regularly need to take offhand shots? I've got a few .22's around 6lbs, and for me, shooting from a standing unsupported position is more challenging with a rig that light.
Old 12-28-2023, 08:06 PM

My "go to" is a .280 rem Browning A-Bolt I left hand stainless stalker (stainless with synthetic stock) and a vortex viper 3.5-10x50. Comes in right around 8.75lbs, way too heavy imo. Hopefully I'll have a 280 AI sitting in a Wildcat Customs light weight stock for next fall and it'll come in closer to the 7lbs mark.

And to give reference. I normally shoot a benelli sbe2 LH for all birds and it weighs about 7lbs 5oz un-loaded, I recently picked up a Benelli Montefeltro that comes in at 6lbs 8oz and the difference at the end of a day of upland hunting is night and day. From my arm wanting to fall off to handle notice it at all.
Old 01-03-2024, 03:43 PM

I've got a few lightweights, custom Kimber .260 is 5, 2oz, Barrett fieldcraft is a touch more oz, nice to pack, the Kimber is difficult to shoot consistently, Barrett fieldcraft is much better,
I've got a couple more rifles, in the 6-,7lb range that do the majority of my normal hunting, here in Canada, K95, Sako 85, Mannlicher etc,
Sold off any rifle, I have over 8.5lbs scoped, unless a target rifle,
A model 70 7x57 featherweight at 7.5 lbs is my main rifle in NZ, a chopped suppressed, Sako 85 Finnlight 7-08 for bush hunting at few oz less.
I have long been off the opinion, that around 7,1/2 is about ideal in most situations, too heavy wears you down, and too light is very difficult to shoot well off hand, or unsupported, this is for a walking gun, disregard if sit not stalk.
Old 01-03-2024, 06:23 PM

Main backpacking gun is a 6.5 CM Fieldcraft with an SWFA 3-9HD. It checks in around 6lb 14oz empty.

.308 T3 Hunter with a SWFA 6MQ is about 7lb 15oz empty that I have kept for days sitting in a tree stand or when the rifle isn't going to get bashed around. Something about the wooden stock and blued steel that I can't let this one go.

Currently building a 6 CM T3X with a Maven RS1.2 that I anticipate coming in right around 7lb 14oz empty for days when I'm not counting ounces and want to be able to spot my shots better.
Old 01-03-2024, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Pretty much all my rigs weigh around 7.5 lbs trailside, which seems to be the sweet spot for me. Light enough that I can pack it in-hand all day, still settles nicely for offhand shots.

Just got to ask, how many of you guys packing rigs much lighter than 7lbs regularly need to take offhand shots? I've got a few .22's around 6lbs, and for me, shooting from a standing unsupported position is more challenging with a rig that light.
Shot a moose this year (had no intention of shooting offhand) with a sub 6lb but it does balance quite nicely due to the extremely light stock. That being said my hunting style has changed as I grow older and I rarely shoot offhand or running shots anymore. Would rather shoot distance and with a good rest (which is usually my hunting pack)
Old 01-03-2024, 07:02 PM

9.2 lbs for my 30-06 Savage Classic with a JC-custom Barrel light bull sporter with Match chamber. Most accurate rifle I have ever owned and heavy enough that there is little wobble when shooting off-hand at food. My 10tr in .308 is heavier at 10.4lbs, very accurate too but I prefer hunting with the 06.
Old 01-03-2024, 07:22 PM

Weight for me is dependent on chambering. I have a 300 SAUM that is right at 7 pounds, and for that setup it’s perfect. I have a couple bigger rounds and the heaviest is nearing the 10 pound range I would guess.