Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-06-2024, 12:45 PM

Default Hand Me Down Guns

I was out to Vancouver Island over the Xmas holidays to visit my father and while there he decided I should take his guns home as he figures he will not be hunting again which is likely a safe bet since he hasn't hunted since around 1980 or 81? So here is a video I put together of the first shotgun he purchased as a youngster living in the New Liskeard, Ont. area walking old logging roads "potting partridge" that I am now in possession of. The gun is a Mossberg 183D-C with interchangeable external threaded chokes. The video is a bit lengthy and long winded, lol to be sure due to sentimental reasons obviously and talking about background history but maybe some of you will enjoy it?

https://youtu.be/p08pQSvGSLM?si=0JZOrVMsK9rP4XcS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9280.jpg (16.6 KB, 185 views)
Old 01-07-2024, 07:40 AM

That's a cool gun Bud and being rich in family history makes it invaluable, a true heirloom

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-07-2024, 12:07 PM

I have my grand dads Mossberg 410 except has fixed blind magazine.
It’s what I started hunting with it wayy back.
Good 👍🏼 Hand me down.
Old 01-07-2024, 02:17 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

That gun needs to go smack some chickens!
Great to have such memories and more to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-07-2024, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
That gun needs to go smack some chickens!
Great to have such memories and more to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And bunnies. I found #6 worked best outta mine with modified choke.

Cherish, shoot,hunt and pass down to your family to keep as a tradition.
Old 01-12-2024, 07:45 AM

Here is a couple more Dad passed onto me during our latest visit.

This is a pair of Laurona's (Spanish mfg) my father bought used years ago. I don't know how many rounds have been fired through the SxS but not many, it's virtually new. The gun wears 30" bbls choked F/M with 3" chambers, has dual triggers and sports a Pachmayr recoil pad installed by Steve Holborn about 11 years ago. The original was dried and hard as a nail.

The O/U has some sentimental attachment for me as it was my very first duck hunting partners gun. He purchased it new in 1968 at a Simpson Sears store after his Browning Twelvette ( 2 shot autoloader) was stolen from inside his parked car as he was dropping his Uncle off at home after a weekend of duck hunting. He shot the O/U every season before selling it to my father around 1982 and moving himself into a new Remington 1100. He passed away in early part of winter 2023 at 80 years of age.

The O/U saw a pile of heavy rounds fired by my hunting partner but it still locks up tight as a vise and again my father hasn't hunted in well over 30 years so the gun has likely not been fired since the early 80's. Surprised me again when Dad pulled out the original hang sleeve for the O/U with the factory proof house certification within! The O/U sports 28" bbls choked F/M with 3" chambers and dual triggers.

The triggers on the O/U are unique in that you use whichever trigger you prefer for both shots, they act the same way as a single selective trigger in that inertia resets them for the second shot and you choose the trigger you want for the barrel you want to shoot first in lieu of the gun not having a barrel selector. Kind of a different idea and I do not imagine cheaper to manufacture compared with a single trigger with selector with having to set up dual triggers with what I can only assume is dual inertia blocks?

Both guns are around the same time period of manufacture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lauronapr.jpg (33.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 01-13-2024, 09:49 AM

I acquired some guns from an estate sale about 15 years ago. One of them had a live bullet in the chamber.
Old 01-13-2024, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
I acquired some guns from an estate sale about 15 years ago. One of them had a live bullet in the chamber.
Crazy. I wonder how many people possibly handled it. They could have very easily pulled an "Alec Baldwin".

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk