Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2024, 03:55 PM

Default Duty charges on USA made products

Bought an Exo pack a couple years ago. Exo is made in Boise Idaho. Anyways Pack and accessories was around $1000 or more with 25% guide discount. Fed Ex delivered and no duty charges.

About 6 months later ordered a second bag for it. Off the top of my head was around $300 9maybe bit more). Fed Ex once again and this time was something like $80 duty to pick it up. Fought that but did no good

Couple weeks ago order a few more accessories from Exo for about $130. Was shipped USPS this time. $15 duty to pick it up. Envelope even has the sticker stating goods covered under USMCA/T-MEC/CUSMA.

Why is duty (sometimes) being charged on goods made in the USA? Getting pretty tiresome
Old 02-19-2024, 04:10 PM

Yeah started having this issue a couple years ago now I get hit with duty on everything from the US. Even my lure molds custom made for me in Arizona. I order supplies from the US about 5-10 times a year and American made or not I get hit with duty now

Don’t know if it’s true but I was told I was told by the lady at the post office there was a policy change instigated by our federal government. But this lady has been wrong before
Old 02-19-2024, 04:13 PM

CBSA is a hot mess. On a good day. Mix that with Canada Post and good luck.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-19-2024, 04:43 PM

I think the new rule is something like under $20 and you pay nothing but anything over that- come to papa!
Old 02-19-2024, 08:48 PM

You can ask for the FedEx tax invoice and take it down to the airport and pay just the duty… if there is any. Bypass their massive fees.

Otherwise call them up and it’s a ridiculous mark up and you would be fine with just paying the fee. They will probably say they will do it just this one time.

Otherwise just tell them you will go the the CBA office when you can and take care of it.

Next time try having is sent by US post.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-19-2024, 08:58 PM

He did.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-19-2024, 10:11 PM

Don't know if this is the issue but are you certain it's duty they're charging and not just a brokerage fee?
Old 02-20-2024, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Bought an Exo pack a couple years ago. Exo is made in Boise Idaho. Anyways Pack and accessories was around $1000 or more with 25% guide discount. Fed Ex delivered and no duty charges.

About 6 months later ordered a second bag for it. Off the top of my head was around $300 9maybe bit more). Fed Ex once again and this time was something like $80 duty to pick it up. Fought that but did no good

Couple weeks ago order a few more accessories from Exo for about $130. Was shipped USPS this time. $15 duty to pick it up. Envelope even has the sticker stating goods covered under USMCA/T-MEC/CUSMA.

Why is duty (sometimes) being charged on goods made in the USA? Getting pretty tiresome
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...s/b2g-eng.html

Fill that out and mail it in with receipts and proof of origin.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:24 AM

Hi OP,

I hope this isn't a derail but a very similar situation. My brother and I both ordered the same package from the USA. On the day of delivery we both got a call from FedEx.... My package was owing in the amount of $121 and his was $52 on the exact same item. It makes me so mad when this happens but there are just some things you have to order and you can't get locally.

I seriously think they have a bingo ball machine with numbers on it and whatever ball comes out is what they charge your package. I can't see a rhyme or reason behind the madness they have going on.

EDIT I missed Sundance post about going to the airport. I am trying that next time THANKYOU.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:53 AM

Never use FedEx. Their brokerage fees are just plain stupid
Old 02-20-2024, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
Never use FedEx. Their brokerage fees are just plain stupid
Ever deal with UPS, if your eyes aint open with FedEx they will pop with what UPS charges for brokerage fees.....
Always ask for USPS and be content with the wait of snail mail....
Old 02-20-2024, 08:09 AM

Well sorry about my rant when it is a Fedex related issue. I am going to try Sundances approach because I am tired of never knowing what is coming haha.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:33 AM

Default Duty

Something similar happened to me at the post office. It was a made in USA product. There was a duty charge attached to it. I explained that there should be no duty, and was given 2 options.
Pay the duty and receive the package or
There was an appeal sheet that I could fill out. It as well as the package would go back to Canada customs for appeal, for who knows how long.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:02 AM

It’s fedex that calculates and collects. Not CBSA. The last purchase of $130 and $15 (probably a couple bucks more than that?) owing sounds like GST plus the $10 admin or whatever they call it fee. It is highly unlikely to get actual duty charges from the USPS (Canada Post, really). Anything worth more than $20 (CAD) is subject to GST (or over $40 if a gift). It doesn’t matter where the item was produced. I almost never get hit with any charges on Canada Post deliveries worth under $100-150. FedEx and especially UPS will make your nose bleed for a 20.01-dollar item.

Here is another thing as an example:

They suck and I have no idea why people use them willingly.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:46 AM

I bought a single issue of a hunting magazine from the states and got charged 20$ duty. Ridiculous

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2024, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodhead View Post
I bought a single issue of a hunting magazine from the states and got charged 20$ duty. Ridiculous

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
You were probably charged a buck or a few cents in GST and the rest went to UPS in their fees.

Here is an example on an item declared at 35 USD:

The tax due (the GST) was only $2.30. UPS collected $29.25 for their “service” of collecting the $2.30. Plus GST of $1.46 on their “service”. Cost of shipping was also higher than it would have been with USPS.

Edit: I guess of a separate note, you can see on that document that duties and excise tax were zero.

Last edited by fishnguy; 02-20-2024 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:56 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post

Customs and duties plus brokerage fees are a convoluted mess. It changed under Trump and NAFTA no longer applies and it is done entirely differently. What previously was covered may not be anymore...

The link below might give you a bit of info if you want to check it out and go crosseyed...

https://www.jetworldwide.com/blog/sh...%20duty%20free
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 02-20-2024, 09:15 PM

Ordered some tripod legs from China. They went UPS for some strange reason the rest of the order went Canada post. Anyhow got the tripod legs duty etc. all paid for up front. 2-3 weeks later I get a bill from UPS for 18 bucks. Some sort of duty or something, still sitting on my desk!
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.