Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2024, 03:06 PM

Default Oil lamp

My wife wants a decent functional oil lamp. She bought a Dietz (Since 1840!) hurrican lamp on Amazon, and before I took it out of box I knew it was cheap Chinese made junk, at the ridiculous price of $55. Also tiny, only 10" tall.

It's going back, but I'd like to get her one. Trapper Gord's skows one on their web page, will have a look next time I go by, and will also check at Keddies.

Can anyone recommend one, and a place to get it? I figured if anyone knows, it would be this forum. I hate cheaply made Chinese crap products.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-17-2024, 03:24 PM

I have a real old one packed away somewhere complete with a glass shade. If I can find it, I'll let you know. It's likely buried deep with all the other stuff I might need someday, ha. I haven't seen it for a few years. Think it's a Rayo.

Last edited by Okotok; 02-17-2024 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-17-2024, 03:30 PM

Take a look at the Dietz No 80 hurricane lantern at Lee Valley.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...ricane-lantern

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-17-2024, 03:33 PM

Aladin brand oil products are anout as good as it gets. Have one of their kerosene heaters from the 20s. Still workks great. They make oil lamps, not cheap but top quality.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/235424146888...gAAOSwlSxlsZrJ
Old 02-17-2024, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Take a look at the Dietz No 80 hurricane lantern at Lee Valley.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...ricane-lantern
It's definitely the right size, but I'm totally unimpressed with the quality of the one we got. I may order it anyway if I can't find something better.

Anyone have experience with Feuerhand lanterns? Still made in Germany apparently. I'm leery of online reviews, as a billion Chine can pumpbtheir products while trashing the competition.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-17-2024, 04:00 PM

I was in Barton’s one day, and the register people sent a customer to the older fellow at the rifle counter sounded like he knew a fair bit about oil lamps.

Might be worth a try.
Old 02-17-2024, 04:11 PM

That's probably Bill. I'll drop in and chat with him, thanks.

Old 02-17-2024, 05:01 PM

Another vote for the Aladdin lamps they put light like a 60 watt bulb and 3000 Btu's of heat new ones come a number of styles and are high quality.
I have 11 antique lamps handy in a power outage or just a warm light on a chilly evening.
Old 02-17-2024, 05:05 PM

Alladin lamps look nice, but wow. Very pricey. My wife may just get the one from Lee Valley

Old 02-17-2024, 05:17 PM

I've never been in a second hand or antique shop that didn't have one or a selection of old lamps, originals, not chinese junk. Check out one of those places.
Old 02-17-2024, 05:22 PM

We have 4 antique and 3 cheap amazon lamps and one Aladdin. While the antique lamps are much nicer/ heavier the amazon cheapies work just as well.. we use ours whenevervthe power goes out...seems like its a regular occurrence lol. We have like 20 gal of oil and have used up about 1/4 of it in the last three years. Nothing like a roaring fire in the stove and a bunch of lamps softly lighting up the kitchen/ living space in the winter when the power is out.
Old 02-17-2024, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
We have 4 antique and 3 cheap amazon lamps. While the antique lamps are much nicer/ heavier the amazon cheapies work just as well.. we use ours whenevervthe power goes out...seems like its a regular occurrence lol. We have like 20 gal of oil and have used up about 1/4 of it in the last three years. Nothing like a roaring fire in the stove and a bunch of lamps softly lighting up the kitchen/ living space in the winter when the power is out.
That's what you get for living in the hinterland...

Old 02-17-2024, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
That's what you get for living in the hinterland...
Lol i wouldnt trade living in the sticks for town life ever!
Old 02-17-2024, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Alladin lamps look nice, but wow. Very pricey. My wife may just get the one from Lee Valley
Check FB Market place the clear beehive and drape lamps go for less than $100 some of the rare ones Ruby red and Uranium glass go for big bucks
Old 02-18-2024, 09:48 AM

Oil Lamps ? That's what people used before better ones came along. I've got one of the cheap knock offs, purely ornamental, I wouldn't dream of lighting it up and kerosene isn't fun to play with.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-18-2024, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Oil Lamps ? That's what people used before better ones came along. I've got one of the cheap knock offs, purely ornamental, I wouldn't dream of lighting it up and kerosene isn't fun to play with.
At least you can be counted on to consistently voice your opinion while contributing nothing to a thread. It's your Superpower.

Old 02-18-2024, 10:28 AM

I typed into FB : Alberta Antiques and Collectables

Lots came up for sale.
Old 02-18-2024, 12:16 PM

Sounds like you are after the hurricane style oil lamp? The Lee Valley one is as good as any. Collectors demand the old Beacon ones and some are quite collectible.

We burn the regular antique open glass type quite a bit in the house. The type found in Home Hardware and are quality enough for the economical price.
https://www.homehardware.ca/en/13-an...lamp/p/4360908

One tip. Use the paraffin based oil as opposed to the kerosine based. A lot less stinky. More expensive, but...
Old 02-18-2024, 01:37 PM

Thumbs up My $0.02

I stopped by Lee Valley today. Here are my thoughts after handling the Dietz #80 in the store: it seems well made and solid for its weight. But at maybe 1-1/2 lbs. it is no antique heavyweight. I would guess the metal is closer to 24 gauge than 16. The wick mechanism operates smoothly without any play.
Overall, for the price point, I would buy it if I was looking for one.

There are plenty of video reviews of the Dietz #80 on youtube you can check out.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-18-2024, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
I stopped by Lee Valley today. Here are my thoughts after handling the Dietz #80 in the store: it seems well made and solid for its weight. But at maybe 1-1/2 lbs. it is no antique heavyweight. I would guess the metal is closer to 24 gauge than 16. The wick mechanism operates smoothly without any play.

Overall, for the price point, I would buy it if I was looking for one.

There are plenty of video reviews of the Dietz #80 on youtube you can check out.
Well, I showed it to the Missus, and she wanted it, so that's what I ordered. Price is reasonable too, and free shipping. Good to get a first hand opinion, appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G990W2 using Tapatalk

Old 02-18-2024, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
Sounds like you are after the hurricane style oil lamp? The Lee Valley one is as good as any. Collectors demand the old Beacon ones and some are quite collectible.

We burn the regular antique open glass type quite a bit in the house. The type found in Home Hardware and are quality enough for the economical price.
https://www.homehardware.ca/en/13-an...lamp/p/4360908

One tip. Use the paraffin based oil as opposed to the kerosine based. A lot less stinky. More expensive, but...
Axe

Be very careful with those types of lamps. When the reservoir gets to half full they become VERY prone to tipping over. Won't do it on their own but a slight breeze or nudge and they will fall over. Always try to get a lamp where the base is as wide or wider than the reservoir, and the taller the lamp the more important that is.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:13 PM

The ones we own have very heavy glass bases and are quite stable, no breeze would ever tip these. Maybe there are cheaper ones out there, beware. Safety is key with any open flame devices. They do say to keep reservoirs over half full for several reasons. Stability and better wicking too. Google on trimming wicks too, the flame shape can be tailored to your liking.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:40 PM

The Dietz Hurricane Lantern is designed to extinguish itself in case of a tip over I've never tested this claim.
Old 02-18-2024, 05:12 PM

Quote:
At least you can be counted on to consistently voice your opinion while contributing nothing to a thread. It's your Superpower.
I disagree, they're smelly, can be smoky and kerosene is basically oil , that is hard to deal with when spilled.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-11-2024, 10:10 AM

Wink

Have you tested the lantern yet?
Care to share your thoughts? About the lantern...