Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-29-2024, 07:32 PM

Arrow Sadly ... Brian Mulroney Has Passed Away

CTV News Link https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/form...t-84-1.6789912

R.I.P. Brian
Selkirk

Last edited by Selkirk; 02-29-2024 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:48 PM

RIP.
I thought he was a very good Prime Minister overall. Compared to the current man child in charge he should be up for sainthood.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
RIP.
I thought he was a very good Prime Minister overall. Compared to the current man child in charge he should be up for sainthood.
Couldn’t agree more.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:27 PM

Alot of secrets went to the grave today.

This was the man who sued the CBC for Defamation over alleged bribes from Karl Hans Schriber over the Airbus Purchase, then reached a Settlement from CBC, and later it turns out the money was sitting in the US in a bus locker.

Who knew that he actually did receive money, of course that only came out AFTER the German Government denied Schriber's "deduction" for payment to Brian Mulroney for the Airbus purchase. Mulroney declared his "income" and paid the taxes and penalties, and it was all "good".

Sorry if I show no respect.

He was a Lawyer on top of it all, and knew that he had in fact received a facilitation payment. He said to the Reporters that he would be going to the Civil Discoveries "with bells on". Still remember the smug look on his face knowing full well it all was truth.

I really have a problem with Quebec Politicians of any stripe. Can't put my finger on it, but I do not trust them.

History keeps proving me right though.

Drewski
Old 02-29-2024, 10:42 PM

This is the guy that brought us the GST, the most abused tax ever levied by a government.

He claimed it was a good thing replacing the manufactured goods tax (13.5%) at the wholesale level making Canada's exported goods more competive. This was a complete scam to sell the new tax as revenue neutral, when it was a massive cash cow paid by us. Manufactured goods never dropped in price for domestic Canadian consumers and we saw the extra 7% GST on top of that at the retail level.

His bloody GST then was applied to everything under the sun, not just on the manufactured goods where the hidden tax was removed and then re-inflated back up by the manufacturing companies. Then the bloody GST was added to it on every sale at the retail level and the government took that 7% to the bank. I do not believe it helped make Canada more competitive globally either.

Now GST is charged on absolutely everything even including other taxes and fees.

This is Mulroney's legacy! And he was an arrogant jerk similar to the Trudeau's if you ask me. The death of a man does not automatically command respect in my books. Not sorry for that.

RIP as a father for your family, Brian. As a human, he deserves that. That's all.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:10 AM

Default Rt. Hon Brian Mulroney RIP

Well sad news but we are all mortal. He was a great guy, brought in the GST, and it has been the greatest money maker the Gov't has ever see.

He was 84, and his daughter, also a Lawyer is a cabinet minister in Ontario, and has been my choice to lead the federal party. Well time will tell.

Good-bye Brian, you were a great guy, and never a wiff of corruption or scandal.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:43 AM

You make it sound like the gst is a good thing, it is just another tax that takes money out of our pockets, and it shouldn't be celebrated. Mulroney had some good points, and I would gladly have him as PM ,rather than the current arrogant criminal ,but he had bad points, the gst being one of them.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-01-2024 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-01-2024, 06:27 AM

I can't swallow "never a whiff of corruption or scandal."
How soon they forget.
There was plenty of scandal, and the electorate was more than ready to bounce their butts at the end of Mulroney's reign.
We just alternate between scandalous Liberals and scandal ridden Conservatives governing Canada.
Old 03-01-2024, 06:33 AM

I wonder if they put a couple paper bags of money in his casket to see him safely off, he was a conservation whom I voted for, but he was also a crooked politician and a good liar that feathered his nest well while in politics.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 03-01-2024, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
I can't swallow "never a whiff of corruption or scandal."
How soon they forget.
There was plenty of scandal, and the electorate was more than ready to bounce their butts at the end of Mulroney's reign.
We just alternate between scandalous Liberals and scandal ridden Conservatives governing Canada.
When it comes to politics, Densa44 seems to see things differently, he constantly states that our political system works great, and that it results in governments that do what is best for Canadians. He tends to overlook corruption, and thinks that any government that does wrong, is easily voted out. And if he knows the person, or went to school with them, they can do no wrong. When it comes to politics, he is an idealist, not a realist.
Old 03-01-2024, 06:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

This was the man who sued the CBC for Defamation over alleged bribes from Karl Hans Schriber over the Airbus Purchase, then reached a Settlement from CBC, and later it turns out the money was sitting in the US in a bus locker.

Who knew that he actually did receive money, of course that only came out AFTER the German Government denied Schriber's "deduction" for payment to Brian Mulroney for the Airbus purchase. Mulroney declared his "income" and paid the taxes and penalties, and it was all "good".

He was a Lawyer on top of it all, and knew that he had in fact received a facilitation payment. He said to the Reporters that he would be going to the Civil Discoveries "with bells on". Still remember the smug look on his face knowing full well it all was truth.

I really have a problem with Quebec Politicians of any stripe. Can't put my finger on it, but I do not trust them.

Drewski

You act surprised by how a person in politics at any level conducts themselves and once at the helm the opposition makes all aware….some truths tainted by lies etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-01-2024, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
You act surprised by how a person in politics at any level conducts themselves and once at the helm the opposition makes all aware….some truths tainted by lies etc.

Actually, he is a realist, he sees what actually goes on, and isn't blind to corruption. He isn't a woke fool that believes exactly what the liberal propaganda tells him.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Drewski
My Dad was probably the most honest, straight shooting person I have ever met in my life. He "tried" to read a book called "On The Take", written by Stevie Cameron. It details Brian's time as P M. Dad had to quit reading after struggling to get half way through. He just couldn't stomach any more. It seems politicians of all stripes have issues keeping their fists out of the cookie jar!

I'm sure at the funeral, Mulroney will be praised by all. Reminds me of an elderly lady I met. She had been at the funeral of a friend of hers. Each person spoke very highly of the deceased, honest, caring, loving etc. The lady I met said, I had to wonder who they were speaking of, because that was not the person she had known!
Old 03-01-2024, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
My Dad was probably the most honest, straight shooting person I have ever met in my life. He tried to read a book called " On The Take ", written by Stevie Cameron. it details Brian's time as P M. Dad had to quit reading after struggling to get half way through. He just couldn't stomach any more. It seems politicians of all stripes have issues keeping their fists out of the cookie jar!

I'm sure at the funeral, Mulroney will be praised by all. Reminds me of an elderly lady I met. She had been at the funeral of a friend of hers. Each person spoke very highly of the deceased, honest, caring, loving etc. The lady I met said, I had to wonder who they were speaking of, because that was not the person she had known!
Listening to people speak at Trudeau's funeral, it would likely be nearly impossible to keep a straight face.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
This is the guy that brought us the GST, the most abused tax ever levied by a government.

He claimed it was a good thing replacing the manufactured goods tax (13.5%) at the wholesale level making Canada's exported goods more competive. This was a complete scam to sell the new tax as revenue neutral, when it was a massive cash cow paid by us. Manufactured goods never dropped in price for domestic Canadian consumers and we saw the extra 7% GST on top of that at the retail level.

His bloody GST then was applied to everything under the sun, not just on the manufactured goods where the hidden tax was removed and then re-inflated back up by the manufacturing companies. Then the bloody GST was added to it on every sale at the retail level and the government took that 7% to the bank. I do not believe it helped make Canada more competitive globally either.

Now GST is charged on absolutely everything even including other taxes and fees.

This is Mulroney's legacy! And he was an arrogant jerk similar to the Trudeau's if you ask me. The death of a man does not automatically command respect in my books. Not sorry for that.

RIP as a father for your family, Brian. As a human, he deserves that. That's all.

So if they are going to tax us. Gst was good way to do it. Instead of taxing, business, paychecks they went after consumers.
If you don't want to pay the tax then start some sort of business. You can incorporate but it doesn't have to be that complicated to have a gst number.

I voted for Mulroney at first time but then I voted for Preston Manning and we ended up with seems like decades of liberal governments after that.

I was mad about meech lake and Charlottetown accord and all that. In hind sight like Mulroney said later and I quote "Distinct Society doesn't mean a G## #### thing"

Mulroney wasn't that bad. Used to have to be a French lawyer to be PM years ago.

Looked back I think Quebec had right idea. Smaller federal government and more power to provinces. I like idea of distinct regions instead of what we have now with this weird woke Ottawa multicultural sprawl

Free trade worked good when it was just America and Canada
Old 03-01-2024, 09:08 AM

RIP regardless. Was not a fan.
Do not forget the submarine purchase from the UK where they sat in Halifax leaking if I recall correctly. A sub leaking is no big deal is it?
Old 03-01-2024, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Drewski
Most correct post I've seen yet on this site ,Political figures in Quebec are not far from organized crime or in bed with them . They just use better buffers to hide behind. Most folks have no clue on how bad it was and is .
Old 03-01-2024, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Most correct post I've seen yet on this site ,Political figures in Quebec are not far from organized crime or in bed with them . They just use better buffers to hide behind. Most folks have no clue on how bad it was and is .
Politics is a form of organized crime.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Actually, he is a realist, he sees what actually goes on, and isn't blind to corruption. He isn't a woke fool that believes exactly what the liberal propaganda tells him.

And yet he advised your dreaded turd….not blind to corruption just learnt to work amongst it.

Old 03-01-2024, 10:15 AM

The GST was needed to pay for the first Trudeau.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:28 AM

Thumbs up

A CTV Review of his life https://www.ctvnews.ca/video/c287683...stId=1.6790057

R.I.P.
Selkirk

Last edited by Selkirk; 03-01-2024 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Drewski
Well said. This country has been screwed over by Quebec based PM's since 1867.

BW
Old 03-01-2024, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
And yet he advised your dreaded turd….not blind to corruption just learnt to work amongst it.

When was Drewski an advisor to Trudeau?

Drewski, is there something that you aren't telling us?
Old 03-01-2024, 10:48 AM

Quote:
When was Drewski an advisor to Trudeau?

Drewski, is there something that you aren't telling us?

Dam Elk ya got me on that one!

Old 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Well said. This country has been screwed over by Quebec based PM's since 1867.

BW
X2 love this post.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 03-01-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Politics is a form of organized crime.
Its the same model. It makes me laugh at how years ago I used to think government, different agencies like police. Not just govermemt but people in general, when I was a kid I believed what was taught about us in school and TV shows I used to watch. Haha remember TV shows in sixties and seventies.

I pray that Danielle Smith is what she appears to be.
I sincerely pray that they are not all on the take.
Old 03-01-2024, 11:19 AM

"I sincerely pray that they are not all on the take."

Unfortunately, the system is designed to weed out all the honest people very early in the political process. Just like organized crime, the nasty buggers rise to the top.
Old 03-01-2024, 11:51 AM

A conservative PM “on the take” will be hounded relentlessly by the media and will quickly be thrown out of office and the party punished and never allowed to move past it (it’s been near 40 years and it’s still as if it was yesterday for some)

A Liberal PM “on the take”,proven corrupt repeatedly will get chance after chance where voters bury their collective heads in the sand. The media will downplay it ,make excuses for or completely ignore it, even blame a previous gov’t from a decade before. They never however can bring themselves to out right call a Liberal crooked.
Eventually the voter will grow tired of it and possibly vote them out, at which point the media quickly starts sniffing and digging for any hint a Conservative government skeleton and the witch hunt begins again
Old 03-01-2024, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
A conservative PM “on the take” will be hounded relentlessly by the media and will quickly be thrown out of office and the party punished and never allowed to move past it (it’s been near 40 years and it’s still as if it was yesterday for some)

A Liberal PM “on the take”,proven corrupt repeatedly will get chance after chance where voters bury their collective heads in the sand. The media will downplay it ,make excuses for or completely ignore it, even blame a previous gov’t from a decade before. They never however can bring themselves to out right call a Liberal crooked.
Eventually the voter will grow tired of it and possibly vote them out, at which point the media quickly starts sniffing and digging for any hint a Conservative government skeleton and the witch hunt begins again
It does seem to work that way. PET, Creten and lil fidel! Can't recall too much aout Pearson.
Old 03-01-2024, 12:33 PM

A good article by one of PM Mulroney’s political adversaries

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/tom-...self-1.6790979