Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2024, 11:36 AM

Default Decided you have to pay me to fly from now on.

I recently traveled last week to test and inspect 2 ARRFs (Airport Fire Trucks), one is in Sacramento Ca. and the other in West Palm Beach Florida. This involved allot of air travel and connecting flights. The air industry has sunk to such a terrible level since 911 and now Covid. Went through 3 different airport security checkpoints with no consistency in what they are checking for. Here in Edmonton all electronics, my laptop, tablet and cell phone were required to be removed and placed in a separate plastic bin, all liquids, gels and pastes no matter the quantity had to be removed and placed in a bin to be viewed. They threw out my mini torch lighter and small pack of wood matches. It took a long time to get through. Next was Sacramento airport security, asked if I had to remove electronic devices and was told no just throw it in the bins and remove shoes and get moving. Was through there in a couple minutes. Next was West Palm Beach Florida, different again had to remove electronics in a separate bin, but hurried through the checkpoint while people who have kids and not used to traveling or just slow are fumbling around while security it yelling at them to keep moving, not the easiest for older people or people with limited mobility. Absolutely terrible experience, then comes the boarding , business class, the main cabin 1 loading, then main cabin 2 then zone 3. Lined up once again on the jet way while people fumble around trying to stow all their carry on baggage because some airlines charge for 1st checked bag and most people do not want to have their luggage lost. Over half the people trying to load their wheeled bags that are too heavy for them because of their physical size or ability. I was getting to the point where I was going to quit flying for vacations and I think this just convinced me. The lack of direct flights to places like San Francisco , SanJose and Orange county for example forces you to make connections that Covid has seemed to made the norm. Glad to get home !!! Anyone else find this or it just a me thing?
Old 02-25-2024, 11:56 AM

Cool I prefer to enjoy the drive

The last domestic flight I was on pre-covid, combined with the prevalence of stories like yours regarding the evolution of air travel have convinced me that I will never participate in the clown show again. Ever.
Those who continue to pay to participate only enable the ignorant clowns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clown blame 1.jpg (16.1 KB, 157 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-25-2024, 04:01 PM

If there’s not a direct flight out of Calgary - and back - then I don’t need to go there. If I can’t afford business class seats - then I don’t need to go there either. My health and sanity can’t afford flying economy class. It used to be; ‘If WestJet doesn’t fly there, I don’t need to go that badly’ - but these days, WestJet’s just another poorly run airline - no better, no worse.
Old 02-25-2024, 05:46 PM

I just got back from a holiday and Edmonton is a joke. Like you say, they make you do extra things that other places don’t. Then when we landed, it was an hour for them to get bags onto the belt. Was above zero outside, so to me there’s no excuse for that other than poor management and lazy workers.
Old 02-25-2024, 05:54 PM

Just after Covid I flew through Frankfurt. Worst airport ever. It was a mess and we needed to travel between 5 terminals. In all instances we had to walk out of secure area and then back in. Needed to go through full security 5 times. We had a 5 hour layover… needless to say we got to our gate and the plan started loading a half hour later. Barely had time to buy sandwiches.

I had a binder on after successive stomach surgeries and each time security wanted me to take it off. I said I need to lie down and I can do it. Also offered to pull the front and back out so they can peak inside. Each security line had guys arguing how best to check me. Kinda entertaining but being as it was all in German I could only guess what they were saying.

This on top of Air Canada bumping our Calgary to Toronto flight forward 4 times until our flight arrived when our other was supposed to leave. So they bumped us.

Then we sat beside our missed plane for 3 hours as it was missing catering.

Sooo frustrating.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-25-2024, 06:54 PM

I stopped flying to the USA in 2014. Air lines cancelled a lot of direct flights to places were I was going and I had to make connecting flights either thru Houston or Dallas or Denver. Fall of 2014 I spent more time sitting in airports than doing business.

I started to drive after that. 1 or 2 trips a year. Usually about 10,000 kms per trip. Leave on Friday morning and in Oklahoma/Texas on Sunday night. Spend a week, leave Friday afternoon and home by Sunday evening.

On the plus side, I bring a truck full of stuff home with me for everyone in the family.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:17 AM

I agree with you Lund, I used to be able to fly to San Francisco, San Jose and a number of other airports. Not the case anymore. I believe the airlines are short staffed still from fallout of Covid causing more problems with baggage and checking in. I recently flew to a mine in the NWT and we were delayed waiting for a stewardess to be rushed in. New one for me. October 2022 I drove to Oregon instead of flying to California for the same reasons as you, it was way easier and rental cars are a small fortune now since Covid. Dogfish
Old 02-26-2024, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
I agree with you Lund, I used to be able to fly to San Francisco, San Jose and a number of other airports. Not the case anymore. I believe the airlines are short staffed still from fallout of Covid causing more problems with baggage and checking in. I recently flew to a mine in the NWT and we were delayed waiting for a stewardess to be rushed in. New one for me. October 2022 I drove to Oregon instead of flying to California for the same reasons as you, it was way easier and rental cars are a small fortune now since Covid. Dogfish
I don’t think it has anything to do with merely being short staffed. After the airlines suspended operations and got rid of a pile of employees during COVID, I believe that they have tried to continue on with the bare minimum to keep overhead low and profits up. After all of the delays/cancellations/services removed people continue to flood airports. I’m pretty sure that the airlines know that they have conditioned passengers to accept less, it’s a take it or leave it scenario. I would love to be able to drive for all of my vacations, but for some destinations it’s impossible unfortunately. it’s a big world out there.

We’re spending our last night in Panama after a month. Flights weren’t horrible, everything was on time coming down, but we’ll see what’s in store on the way home. Time to get back home to fire up the snowblower I guess (I’m actually looking forward to it, it’s always nice to get back home).
Old 02-26-2024, 08:40 AM

Westjet just hiked checked baggage fees and looks like there is a surcharge coming for paying by credit card. WTF . ? Looks like my Spring holiday will be a road trip .

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-26-2024, 09:03 AM

Whatever fun there used to be in air travel is long gone.

I used to travel for work a lot. pre and post 911. Sept 11 changed many things, especially with US air travel. (My Irish name ended up on a no fly list) Then covid... But the worst thing is how nobody seems to check bags anymore. It makes it a race to get a spot for your carry on. I wish they would change this.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:29 AM

when all the pilots and crew were forced to take the jab I decided I will never even enter an airplane again. I will miss Hawaii but I got to visit twice so I will just enjoy my memories

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-26-2024, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
It makes it a race to get a spot for your carry on. I wish they would change this.
I'm sure they will, they just haven't decided what to charge for carry on's yet.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I'm sure they will, they just haven't decided what to charge for carry on's yet.
Last time I flew Westjet, the plane was so packed they waved the checked baggage charge for anyone who wanted to do so. Carry on sure adds to the unloading time and confusion when it comes right down to

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-26-2024, 04:48 PM

The biggest joke about travelling is the "security". Just a total gong show from start to finish and pretty much is just a theatrical prop so give us the illusion of safety. I just went to the USA last fall and I swear every time I travel it gets worse.

Every airport is different. Belts off? Shoes on? Step in the scanner? Sweater on or off? You never really now until you get to the line and you got some older guy or old hag yelling at you first thing to do the exact opposite thing you just did earlier that day at a different airport. I got to scan my passport sixteen different times now. The entire process of getting on a plane, I don't think I could think of a more inefficient way to do it. But they do it. Every singe day.

That being said I do enjoy the flying part of it. Going different places. I've had very good luck with luggage. Very few delays. No cancelled flights. I don't mind economy as I'm not that big.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:09 AM

'security' is just job creation. What is with having to take our belts off, and toss the shaving cream.

They could speed up the lines a lot, but then it would be considered profiling or discriminatory. Like it's not a native mom with here kids that's going to hijack a plane, or an old granny. So why make everyone else go through all the nonsense, especially taking off shoes....
Old 02-27-2024, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
when all the pilots and crew were forced to take the jab I decided I will never even enter an airplane again. I will miss Hawaii but I got to visit twice so I will just enjoy my memories
I for one am happy the world was protected from whatever the conspiracy theorist disagree upon and we survived as best we could .
I agree ! stay away from flights or any public transit or faculties.
If more folks thought like this we would have less congested and have easier access for those that took the high road and did the right thing.

FREEDOM ! for the willing.
The rest can stay in their bubbles.
Old 02-29-2024, 06:35 AM

I fly in and out of fire bag air port suncor air port 2 weeks ago im in edmonton security pull me to the side they want to do a search ok. They pulled the insoles out of my cowboy boots had me open my 2 phones and ipad. I have a screen saver on my ipad of one of my bucks/rifles they were concerned about the gun in the pic. Called over the rcmp got a battery of question then pushed my stuff at me and said free to go. They also got ****y with me because I refuse to put my wallet in the bin its always on me.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:14 AM

Last time I flew international was 2019- very paranoid about the next flight.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
I have a screen saver on my ipad of one of my bucks/rifles they were concerned about the gun in the pic. Called over the rcmp got a battery of question then pushed my stuff at me and said free to go. They also got ****y with me because I refuse to put my wallet in the bin its always on me.
What type of rifle got their panties in a bunch?
Good on you for standing your ground on the wallet issue.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 03-02-2024, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
If there’s not a direct flight out of Calgary - and back - then I don’t need to go there. If I can’t afford business class seats - then I don’t need to go there either. My health and sanity can’t afford flying economy class. It used to be; ‘If WestJet doesn’t fly there, I don’t need to go that badly’ - but these days, WestJet’s just another poorly run airline - no better, no worse.
I concur, direct flights only and business class. Access to the airport lounge when flying business class is hughe bonus.

If a flight is a short duration flight and not offering business class then I'll upgrade to premium economy or whatever the individual airlines call it.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no longer any differences between Air Canada and Westjet's level of service. They can both be ****ty, acceptable or good, just depends on how lucky you are.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:21 AM

I worked overseas from 1992 until 2008 so my ride to work was an airplane, most of the time it was at least 3 different flights, 22 hrs in the air and a total of about 35 hr with connections, then from 2008 - 2018 I worked as a consultant on jobs from Baffin Island to South America to China and most near everywhere in between, again the mode of transportation was airplanes, in that spam of 26 years I have flown on almost every airline that operates in North America, Europe, Russia, Mongolia and Asia and seen the best and the worst of air travel.

None of them were perfect but in the end they always got me where I was going, the air miles I racked up were awesome, the wife and kids burned up hundred of thousands while I was at work and I just finally used up the last of them in December to bring our grandson home from Timmins Ontario for Xmas so the free travel is over.

The very worst trip ever was in 2008 trying to get into a Bema Gold job site in Bilibino Siberia, 3 flights to get to Nome Alaska where we were supposed to take Bering Air to Magadan, 4 days of cancellations due to weather, believe me there is nothing to see in Nome Alaska in January. Finally back on the plane to circumvent the earth, Nome to Anchorage to Seattle, to JFK in New York to Frankfurt to Moscow to Magadan 51 hrs and 7 airports later I landed 1 hour from where I started out and finally got to the job site 8 days after I left home.

When I hear people pee and moan about 2 or 3 hr delays and little hassles going through airports I just smile and think buddy you ain't seen nothing, I have not flown in the last 4 years and it would have to be something really special to get me into and airport now, I've clipped my wings.

Ya'all have a good day and enjoy your warm vacations, travel safe, I got to go fire up the snow blower my runway needs clearing.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.