Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2017, 10:13 PM

Question Tell me about Diesel tent heaters please

So my wife and I love winter camping and we also backpack and RV 'camp'. I'm finding that most of the places we winter camp on crown land often have deadfall to burn and firewood is available but it takes a ton of energy and time to get enough to burn overnight and during the day.

As much as I love the crackle of a wood stove at night, I'm thinking Diesel might be something to look into more.

Historically we've just built Leanto shelters and once I borrowed a wall tent. Another time we used a skidoo trailer with a wood stove in it.

I've wanted a wall tent for years but always kept putting it off. I debate between a nice 12x14 cabin wall tent or a much more small teepee style shelter. (We build igloos too when snow conditions permit)

Does anyone use Diesel heaters much? What sort of costs should I expect? Any reliability concerns? Pretty much a wide open discussion of pros and cons.

Thx!!
Old 08-31-2017, 07:37 AM
Banned

I bought a Yukon m1950 heater from saddleup. I haven't used it other then to try it out but so far it seems to work pretty slick. I'll have a better idea by the end of September.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:48 AM

Diesel stinks and is messy to handle, suggest propane instead.

Grizz
Old 08-31-2017, 08:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
Not so sure I like propane because it seems to be damp. I was surprised that the diesel heater didn't stink unless you were standing by the chimney. I have to make a modification on the vent for my fuel tank because it leaks a little but other then that I'm fairly impressed with it.

The nice thing about these m1950 stoves is they'll damn near burn anything (wood,coal,oil) and they're pretty much self contained (chimney fits inside stove). The bad is if you're burning wood it don't have a big fire box to really load it up good to burn all night.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:37 AM
Banned

Alberta diver, from what I can tell is a 20l jerry can should last 3 nights or more. I gave $350 for the stove shipped and the jerry can was $40 at princess auto. The larger jerry cans are $80. Figured I could use a cheaper jerry can to top up the expensive jerry can. Lol
Old 08-31-2017, 09:04 AM

Default stove

Mine works great have had in my wall tent ,now in my cabin no smell very easy and fast to light ,if I had room I would have a wood stove also .
Old 08-31-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I bought a Yukon m1950 heater from saddleup. I haven't used it other then to try it out but so far it seems to work pretty slick. I'll have a better idea by the end of September.
I actually have the same stove, but I had no idea you could use it with a Diesel drip! I'll have to look into that kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
I have a big buddy heater, but I find it to be a moist heat, and I don't like the fumes issue with burning propane. I have used my heater to heat my garage and ice fishing shack though, and it works good. I just don't like sleeping with it on.

Here's a some pics of the big buddy and the yukon stove in action a little while back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (68.4 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (72.0 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (98.5 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (103.4 KB, 109 views)
Old 08-31-2017, 09:17 AM

Default Stoves

Every weatherhaven in the north I have ever lived in is/was heated by a diesel stove. It is a great heater and I never noticed any smell. Same goes for any Dickinson stove that kept me warm in a boat. If you buy a good quality stove you shouldn't have any issues. I have the Prospector but it's for an off grid cabin. I personally love the Dickinson stoves they look nicer and have been around forever but the camp style stoves are more useful for your application. Either stove will last you a lifetime.
http://www.deluxewalltents.com/diesel-heaters/
Old 08-31-2017, 09:20 AM

We run this one from deluxe wall tents works very well if you follow the instructions on length of stove pipe (had to learn the hard way)no smell only diesel smell you get if you spill on yourself filling tank. We use one of those bigger wheeled jerry cans with the hand pump removed hand pump and hook fuel hose to tank then just fill out of slip tank. I think it is the prospector model and I think it was around $1200
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0770 (2).jpg (35.4 KB, 110 views)
Old 08-31-2017, 10:24 AM

I can never understand why hunters would carry heavy-dirty-stinky-expensive $1.20/liter diesel into the bush when beautiful FREE Queens wood is available on every tent site in the foothills.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I can never understand why hunters would carry heavy-dirty-stinky-expensive $1.20/liter diesel into the bush when beautiful FREE Queens wood is available on every tent site in the foothills.
True enough but some places there is no trees to burn.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:00 PM
Banned

Pm sent
Old 08-31-2017, 03:43 PM

I run the H-45 military multi fuel heater in our wall tents and they work awesome. On a cold night with it turned up it will use 3 gallons of fuel so on multi night trips you could burn a lot of deisel, but like mentioned if you have a slip tank to top your fuel supply up every few days your good. They provide a great heat and there's nothing like waking up in the morning to a warm tent.. lots of YouTube videos on the H-45 tent heaters. I bought my 2 off eBay for $100 each..

Jim...
Old 09-01-2017, 08:18 AM

Any time the exhaust isn't vented to the outside you'll get dampness.
Doesn't matter what the fuel is.
If you have a propane heater vented to the outside, it won"t get damp (From the heater).
Old 09-01-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Pm sent
Will get in touch later today. Thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
I run the H-45 military multi fuel heater in our wall tents and they work awesome. On a cold night with it turned up it will use 3 gallons of fuel so on multi night trips you could burn a lot of deisel, but like mentioned if you have a slip tank to top your fuel supply up every few days your good. They provide a great heat and there's nothing like waking up in the morning to a warm tent.. lots of YouTube videos on the H-45 tent heaters. I bought my 2 off eBay for $100 each..

Jim...
Will do some snooping on this model. Thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Any time the exhaust isn't vented to the outside you'll get dampness.
Doesn't matter what the fuel is.
If you have a propane heater vented to the outside, it won"t get damp (From the heater).
Yes, you are correct. The challenge with the Big Buddy heater I have is that it isn't vented.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:48 AM

Guys please be careful to properly vent your structures with propane and diesel heaters. We lost great outdoorsman and his partner near Rocky this summer when trailer was not properly vented.