Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-20-2007, 07:18 PM
sheephunter

Where did you find that weight? The specs I looked at show close to 8 pounds but it was all a bit confusing. Nice looking rifle but sadly definitely not going to buy a Weatherby calibre....
Old 09-20-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Savage spec

Must have missed something here..
On the Savage website they show a Weather Warrior 16FLSS with Accu-trigger 270WSM 24" bbl @ 6.75 lbs. RH or LH , MSRP @ $618.00
Where did the 20" bbl restriction come from? Is that based on trying to meet the 5.5 spec needed ? Did you not bump the spec up a little? Do they not make these anymore?
I have never been sheep hunting but I know the principle of "every ounce counts". Seems to me that a perfect sheep rifle might be one of these dropped into a new Edge stock.
Again, only basing this by what I read on their website.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:47 PM

Sheep,
Any thoughts on ammo for 270WSM? In the two 270WSM I have played with, found the Barnes Triple Shok to be nice. Just chippin a bit more info, but the Browning Stalker feels about half the weight of my winchester with the same scope. I would change up the recoil pad though, as I am not a big fan.
Also, to answer the question on recoil of the 270WSM, I would not suggest this as a gun for anyone who is concerned about recoil. I think they pack a good punch.
Sheep, Don't mean to steal the thread, but how do you keep your pack weight down for 10 day trip? I have mine down to about 50 pounds for 5 days using dehyd meals, no change of clothes and a 6 lb tent.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:54 PM
sheephunter

Going to go with factory ammo for this project too pipes. Haven't given it much thought yet though.

Not sure how I keep the weight down that low...just a lot of years of paring it down I guess and buying super lightweight gear. That includes spotting scope, tripod, binos, rangefinder and a 4 pound tent. My buddy had a 2 pound Hileberg tent on this last trip...that was sweet. Really not much more food for another 5 days when you think about it though......two or three pounds? Sadly the weight difference between two days and 10 days is only a few pounds. Bulk becomes the issue really.

The Savage I was looking at had a 20" barrel and came it at 6.5 pounds. Maybe I was looking at the wrong model.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:04 PM

I was just wondering about the 20" bbl restriction
I dont own any lightweight rifles but this thread has me thinking I might "need one" ....just in case I get the urge.
I know for a fact uphill is an issue for me , down hill...no problem.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:53 PM

Question for ya pal-

Have you ever shot a 5.5 lb bolt action rifle with a 'mountain contour' barrel
?

Light guns such as these can be tricky to shoot. Hard to hold steady when the heart is pumpin and the wind is blowin- I enjoy hiking in the mountains just as much as hunting in the mountains, and due to my severe allergy to horses, all the huntin I do out there will be done on 2 legs (mine)... So 4 of the 6 or so rifles I own right now are custom light weight deals... I like light guns, period, but I might be a little leary of the 5.5 lb Abolt. Somethin to ponder...

Another option, if you can't find the 5.5 rifle your keen on... Dall hunts in the NWT are typically done with a chopper...
Old 09-20-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABDUKNUT View Post
Question for ya pal-

Have you ever shot a 5.5 lb bolt action rifle with a 'mountain contour' barrel
?

Light guns such as these can be tricky to shoot. Hard to hold steady when the heart is pumpin and the wind is blowin- I enjoy hiking in the mountains just as much as hunting in the mountains, and due to my severe allergy to horses, all the huntin I do out there will be done on 2 legs (mine)... So 4 of the 6 or so rifles I own right now are custom light weight deals... I like light guns, period, but I might be a little leary of the 5.5 lb Abolt. Somethin to ponder...

Another option, if you can't find the 5.5 rifle your keen on... Dall hunts in the NWT are typically done with a chopper...
What the hay does any of this have to do with the original question? He asked about light weight mountain rifles for a back pack hunt. He didnt ask for +/- issues on lightweight rifles, he didnt ask for "other options" to back packing. His choice of hunting methods and personal ability are for him to determine...not you. Stick to the question. Your personal choices are yours, good for you, but dont think those choices are the best for the rest of us.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:38 PM
sheephunter

DUK...and here I thought we were starting to get along....get too close to some horses today and get irritable?

Yes, I've shot many a lightweight mountain rifle, both custom and factory, so I think I'm up to the task but you are right about there being some issues to be aware of. Not sure why you'd be leary of a 5.5 pound A-bolt. I watched a ram tip over last week at the hands of one.

I'm not really interested in a chopper hunt and I'm hunting the Yukon anyway where it's not permitted. Ten days of backpacking....just like last week in the Willmore. What were you up to last week?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:49 PM

Whoa there no need to get yer undies in a knot- I was just pointing out that a light gun needn't get 'too' light. Understand the concept of diminishing returns? I don't disbelieve you've shot light guns, but a 5 and a half pounder might turn out to be a 1 season wonder...
After 90 some odd replies to your query, you have yet to jump on one and exclaim 'THATS IT- THATS WHAT IM GETTING!'... So I was just tryin to help, really.

Personally sheep hunting bores me. I've been up close and personal with many, many sheep by the way.

Did you read Prothero's lastest yet? No mention of 5.5 lb rifles, so I doubt that it is that 'serious' of an issue, in terms of importance to a succesfull sheep hunt.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:17 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Did you read Prothero's lastest yet? No mention of 5.5 lb rifles, so I doubt that it is that 'serious' of an issue, in terms of importance to a succesfull sheep hunt.
Nope I haven't but it is important to me and I guess that's all that matters isn't it. I too have killed and been up close to many sheep but this is a personal project for me. I wasn't really looking for your opinions on my experience or chopper hunts. I want to know what guys are shooting for light weight factory jobs and what they do and don't like about them. Do I need a new rifle? Of course not. I've killed sheep with .50 cal front stuffer, .264, 7mm STW, .25-06 and others, all that I could take with me to the Yukon, but I'm just looking for something new and I've set my parameters. I'm not really interested in your comments or insults about my quest...just your experiences.

Quote:
Personally sheep hunting bores me. I've been up close and personal with many, many sheep by the way.
Sorry to hear that. I can't say that any fair chase hunting bores me. But each to their own.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:43 PM

Well sheephunter, it's quite obvious you take your sheephunting very seriously... Didn't think the mere mention of a chopper would set off such a defensive tone, to tell you the truth.
Maybe one day I'll have the enjoyment of reading the results of this Quest? I sure would feel bad knowing I did anything as spitefull as trying to ruin it in it's early stages, with a mean post...
Again, you might be better off in the 6lb class of rifles... Try them all, compare them and pick the cream of the crop; rather than, single out the one odd-ball just because it's almost a pound lighter.
Even a lowly duck hunter such as myself has done a fair amount of wandering in the mountains, and I've got my essentials pared down to the bare minumum of weight... Even my gun. But I didn't pick it because it was the lightest thing out there- the criteria was much broader.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Ten days of backpacking....just like last week in the Willmore. What were you up to last week?
Remember what happened last time you asked me where I've been or what I've done?

It turned into the 'other' 100+reply post on this website.

So I'll keep my mouth shut and my fingers steady.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:02 AM

How about the nosler mod 48 it 6.5lbs in 270wsm and 24"bl.
Im lookin for a 270 win and think i might go with the tikka t3 laminate
Old 09-21-2007, 12:04 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
I sure would feel bad knowing I did anything as spitefull as trying to ruin it in it's early stages, with a mean post...
Don't lose any sleep DUK...pretty sure I won't be thinking about you or anything you said while I'm hunting Dall sheep.

Quote:
Try them all, compare them and pick the cream of the crop; rather than, single out the one odd-ball just because it's almost a pound lighter.
I think I've said throughout that that was my plan. I just had some recent experience with the Browning was all but obviously by me posting this, I'm willing to consider all. I'm pretty sure that was said somewhere back in this thread wasn't it?

Last edited by sheephunter; 09-21-2007 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Where did you find that weight? The specs I looked at show close to 8 pounds but it was all a bit confusing. Nice looking rifle but sadly definitely not going to buy a Weatherby calibre....

2.7 kg of perfect balance and performance. Every step is a pleasure when carrying the S 202 Highland

The Highland is the wood stock, the plastic goes 8+ I think. Funny for a company that offers so many different incarnations of the same rifle system they don't actually offer a decent mtn package(cost aside).
Old 09-21-2007, 08:40 AM

I was up above the timber again yesterday lugging my 9lbs custom and a 23 lbs pack and I found myself thinking of a lighter rig for next years sheep hunt. I'll probably go with a 257wthby but the rest of your criteria sounds about right so keep us posted.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:17 AM

Seems to me about the only factory rifle in 270WSM that comes close is the kimber 8400 Montana at 6lbs 3 oz. While we have a few who have had regrets buying this rifle, that could be said about any brand of rifle, there are many others who are in love with these rifles. I have an 84M in 7-08 that weighs in at 5 lb 10 oz, with a 2x7 leupy and mounts it weighs somewhere between 6.5 to 6.75 lbs ready to rock. My rifle handles like a dream and functions flawlessly. Like most other factory rifles it won't win a benchrest match, but it is accurate enough to kill what you shoot at.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:39 AM

Bushrat, I would have to agree with that assesment 100%. With the criteria set forth, it is the only rifle I would purchase. I, myself, have had two Kimbers apart, and they are a simple, rugged, well built rifle with a good stock right out of the gate. The actions themselves were built around the WSM family of cartridges and with their new feed ramp, they feed them very well. As an aside, the ability to resell the rifle would be heads and shoulders above anything else mentioned. I would not trust some of the rifles mentioned to a 10 day backpack sheep hunt. The Remington I would, but the price is nothing short of obscene for what you get.

Chuck
Old 09-21-2007, 11:13 AM

Sure the Kimbers are nice-even thought about buying one myself. BUT I refuse to purchase something where the manufacturer says "hey you bought it-it's your problem now". The savage weather warrior are imho the best "bang for the buck". Their out of the box accuracy is well known. No they are not the prettyest thing around but how pretty of a rifle do you want that gets banged up on rocks constantly? I have a 111fl savage w/o the accutrigger so I put a timiney on it and it works and shoots great.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:23 PM

I know that you ruled out the savage because of the 20" barrel but I would like to make a case for keeping it in the hunt. Even though you may lose some speed it won't amount to that much IMO. But you will gain a much stiffer and therefore accurate barrel than one of the same contour that is longer. As the barrel gets shorter the barrel will get stiffer. If you are after a light and accurate gun then this would make sense. Also someone mentioned that a 20" barrel would not give complete powder burn in a magnum. I agree that with a full length magnum such as a 7mm RUM you may not but isn't the idea behind the short mags that they are much more efficient and therefore would not need as much barrel as a full length magnum. Another case for the short barrel is that it won't be getting caught in tree branches or be as likely to drag in the dirt as a longer barrel. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:51 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter1 View Post
Also someone mentioned that a 20" barrel would not give complete powder burn in a magnum. I agree that with a full length magnum such as a 7mm RUM you may not but isn't the idea behind the short mags that they are much more efficient and therefore would not need as much barrel as a full length magnum.

Do the SA Magnums burn their charge faster? Or is there a less of a charge to burn?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner

Last edited by Rockymtnx; 09-21-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:54 PM

Rocky,
The way that I have heard it explained is that because the powder column is shorter the flash from the primer is able to reach more of the powder at once giving a more even burn. On a full length magnum the powder at the top of the case is relying on the ignited powder below it to make it burn because the flash from the primer can't make it to the top. I also think that the short magnums use less powder to achieve nearly the same results. How much less I am not sure. Those short mags are pretty fat.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:24 PM
jrs

My T3 lite in 270WSM has treated me really well. I really love the gun and the action. I know i've expressed my views about this a few times but i will again. I hunt with 2 other guys who have the exact same gun as me. All three of us have carried it in the mountains and all three would buy another. It does seem to kick a fair bit (i've seen a few scope eyes when friends tried mine after shooting their heavy 270's, i warned them) but its manageable. The accuracy is my favorite part. I shoot it all the time and it groups really well out to 500 yards with cheap factory ammunition (i love shooting targets at long range, bought a cheap 223 this spring to save on the ammunition cost a bit). I started reloading for mine this summer for a little better bullet choice but i will still be carrying factory 150gr bullets for my moose/ sheep hunt next week (130gr bullets for sheep). The one guy i've hunted with has harvested two rams with his. One was at long range (Well over 450yrds) and the other at a average sort of range (300yrds or so). Both dropped instantly. I have seen at least 10 deer shot with the gun and none have made it a great distance (unless 100 meters off a cliffish coulee counts, otherwise 15 yards max). I have carried it for 20km+ journeys in the mountains over a few days and its pleasant to carry and the stock stands up well to rock/debris.
Thats my experience, i like to hear everyone elses thoughts/experiences as well, not sure if theres anything that will ever make me trade this rifle in but you never know.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:16 PM
duke

i know the tikka has been mentioned before but. i have a T3 .270 wsm. love it.. starting to reload tsx 130 grainers.. most .270 wsm shooters have great accuracy with factory ammo also.. With its drilled out bolt, syn stock(its hollow, filled mine with expanding foam) and with carbon/plastic clip,, is there any other way to get this rifle lighter and under 7 lbs??? indeed its a fast cartridge and bullet choice must be choosen wisely.. good luck on your choice .
Old 09-21-2007, 07:36 PM
sheephunter

Ya...that Tikka has caught my interest. Certainly it's priced right and accuracy seems awesome. What do your Tikkas weight dressed?
Old 09-21-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke View Post
i know the tikka has been mentioned before but. i have a T3 .270 wsm. love it.. starting to reload tsx 130 grainers.. most .270 wsm shooters have great accuracy with factory ammo also.. With its drilled out bolt, syn stock(its hollow, filled mine with expanding foam) and with carbon/plastic clip,, is there any other way to get this rifle lighter and under 7 lbs??? indeed its a fast cartridge and bullet choice must be choosen wisely.. good luck on your choice .
You could
-Flute the Bolt & bbl.
-Skelotonize the Action (or Machine it down) & Skelotonize the Bolt handle
-Put a lighter Stock (there are a few that come in @ 16oz. or so)
-Possibly Blind Magazine?
-Talley lightweights?
-Compact Scope (though I wouldnt)
Old 09-21-2007, 09:08 PM

Find somebody that has the gun your interested in and try it. My brother has a 300 WSM in a Winchester classic ultimate shadow. It is not a heavy gun I believe that it weighs about 6.5lbs without the scope. I was surprised at how easy it was to shoot. With the nice straight stock and a really soft recoil pad I didn't think that it kicked much harder than my 300 savage in a model 99. However his friend has a 300 WSM in a Weatherby Vangaurd and everyone that has shot it comments on how hard it kicks. If I remember right that gun without a scope is heavier than the Winchester. The only explanation that we have is the design of the stock and the recoil pad. Point is that without shooting them you won't know until it is to late.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:46 PM

I've got a T3 lite in 270WSM and really like it, I got it fluted and powdercoated (maybe dropped an ounce or two with the fluting), put talley lightweights and a lightweight vxII 3-9X33 on it, and with the sling on it weighs just under 7 lbs. It shoots good and has held up well under some rough hunting over the past year. Would definately recommend one to anyone.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:53 PM

Sheephunter,
IMHO - I would take a really hard look at the Kimber Montana - weighs 6lbs 3oz. Swarovski has one - it is very accurate and well balanced, - he also polished the ramp/rails and it feeds nearly as slick as a push feed now.
If you really liked the remington (like I do) - I would take a good look at the H&S precision PHL (professional hunter lightweight) as the action design is very similar but has a 3 position wing safety (which I like ). It has a 22" pipe and comes in at 5lbs 12oz. I have not shot one, but they do come with a 1/2" @100yds guarantee. In hand, the H&S action is the slickest and tightest I've cycled.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:04 PM

Even though you're not looking at the savages much you asked about downsides to them of which I can name a few that I've experienced personally. 22-250 Stevens needed to have the claw replaced otherwise it wouldn't eject the case about half the time. Quick call to savage and 2 weeks later a new extractor showed up in the mail and it worked flawlessly after that.

.270 111 had a problem with the magazine. You had to push up on it to get it to feed properly from the left side. Lips on the magazine needed to be bent out a bit so that the next round sat high enough for the bolt to feed.

.22 Mk2 BTVSS Was key holing with Certain brands of ammo. Was unable to get this sorted other than just not using those brands. The rifle has given me some nice scores at the range. Savage was willing to have the rifle picked up free of charge to have it tested and shipped back to me via Purolator. They gave me their account number and said just call to have a time and place arranged to have it picked up if I didn't want to take it to them to be shipped.

Now though they had a few problems this service is directly opposite to the service you would get from Kimber and a lot better than you will get from some others. I've seen a number of problems with others as well but that's just the way it is when you don't test fire a rifle before it's shipped out I guess.

Anyways nobody mentioned the Mannlichers yet. They feel god awful to me for handling but they do come in some extremely light varieties. http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/en/h...r-ultra-light/ this one is only 6lbs. Not sure but I thought they come in the short mags now even though the website doesn't list them. Pretty sure I took a look at one during the Easter gun show this year. Someone from down south was selling two used ones at $1000 each I think. Wanted to like it since it was so well put together but the stock was just an absolute wrong fit for me.