Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-18-2007, 06:50 PM

Just weighed my Model 70 Featherweight Classic in .270WSM. With the scope rings and bases it comes in at 7.5lbs. You can minus the scope at 12.7oz and the rings and basses which are at least another 4oz. So I think the advertised 7.5lbs doesn't represent what you get. Besides it's a wood stock with a 24" barrel. On a cold mountain range I like the warmth of a wood stock, but that's just personal taste.

If I just wanted light and accurate though I'd buy a savage and put a different recoil pad on it. Bought a .270 and it needed the recoil pad changed, otherwise a person would develop a flinch from the slap shot you get after only 20 rnds. Still though the lightest Savage I think is the Sierra and it's advertised at 6.25lbs. The Model 111 I have here put the scale at a hair under 7lbs with the scope. Has anyone had problems with the accu-trigger while wearing a thick pair of gloves?

The Weatherby is very nice but the only cartridge I'd look at would be the .257Wby. Still very light and the bolt travel is the same as the Browning just a lot smoother. I think the browning stock only works if you are either a small person or are mounting the scope extremely low. Course the Weatherby magnums weigh 6.75lbs so that might be a bit much.

Of course if you have money to burn you could get a Nosler Custom. They have a 24" barrel and weigh 6.5lbs. But at that price you might want to just hire someone to carry a heavy rifle for you lol
Old 09-18-2007, 06:53 PM
sheephunter

I know the advantages of a custom for sure but this one needs to be a factory job.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:55 PM

weatherby ultralightweight in 280rem............awesome!!
Old 09-18-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintaka View Post
I heard that the old Kimber's had problems and they shut the factory down for a while and reopened with better production.
Anybody else hear that?

I own a new one

Harv
When the safety failed was it all the time or intermittent?
The failure happened when you had the safety on and if you pulled the trigger, then flicked the safety off the gun went off...did it everytime.

Kimber didn't seem to care too much...mine wasn't the only one that this happened to...I heard of another guys doing it and tried mine, thats how I found out about it.

This rifle was a new Kimber, not an old Kimber of Oregon.

Last edited by harv3589; 09-18-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:24 PM

Just to add to that the smith that fixed it...who is a well known and fairly big business is now refusing to do any work on Kimbers. They have had nothing but problems with them and get the same crappy service from Kimber. They also stated that the workmanship is pathetic when you get into the gun.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:43 PM

Sheephunter,

If you don't mind me asking why are you set against a custom, or semi custom? With the weight restriction you are setting and it having to be a factory stick there is more than a fair chance you get a POS that will have lackluster performance.. You could put something together in 6 months and get what you want weight and caliber wise and it WILL shoot.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:38 PM

For me it would be NULA, if you can call them "factory". Ortherwise at that weight it would have to be semi-custom to get a rifle that balances like it should.

Chuck
Old 09-18-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Just weighed my Model 70 Featherweight Classic in .270WSM. With the scope rings and bases it comes in at 7.5lbs.
I don't mean to disagree, and hope you're right, but I think you need a new scale.

The following model 70 has a 22oz graphite stock, a 10 oz scope, and a true "featherweight" 22" contour barrel (the short mags have no such thing). As you can see even at that it barely comes in under 7.5lbs

Old 09-18-2007, 08:49 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Sheephunter,

If you don't mind me asking why are you set against a custom, or semi custom? With the weight restriction you are setting and it having to be a factory stick there is more than a fair chance you get a POS that will have lackluster performance.. You could put something together in 6 months and get what you want weight and caliber wise and it WILL shoot.
It's a writing project I'm working on. It has to be a factory gun in .270WSM.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:56 PM

don't think it's realistic what you are asking for.

I'm with ABDUKNUT on this one; my sheep rifle is a Finnlight 85. It's light enough for me.

Weatherby Ultralight I liked when I looked at some.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Banned

Last edited by Mintaka; 12-29-2008 at 04:25 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
don't think it's realistic what you are asking for.
It is realistic.

Quote:
It's a writing project I'm working on. It has to be a factory gun in .270WSM.
Thats kinda what I was figuring.

Does it have to be new sheep?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:32 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Does it have to be new sheep?
Something currently available anyhow.

I haven't looked at the Sako or Weatherby but will for sure.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:45 PM

You might be right chuck. I'll have to check it against another scale or something that is alread of an exact known weight. It's a spring scale and I know they can be off a bit. I'm almost thinking that it is under weighing by ½lb to 1lb. I'll check it in the morning.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:01 PM

OK, ok, Chuck......I'll buy it, how do you want the funds sent to you?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:03 PM

sheep, I'm thinking that a Sako of ANY variation wont come near to the weight your looking for.

Wicked Rifles, but pretty heady.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfic1 View Post
Depending on what your $$ limit was.

for Factory rifles inn order my 1st choice would be

-Remington TI not the Alaskan (if you could find one)
The original Rem Ti was never offered in the WSM's, only the SAUM's. So good luck finding one in .270 WSM!
Old 09-18-2007, 11:06 PM

Smile lightweight 270 wsm

I picked up a browning mountain Ti in 270 wsm this past spring . Very happy with the performance. very accurate with almost anything you feed it. took it sheep hunting opening week only complaints is that the detachable magazine is not stainless or the swivel studs, these are very small issues. i do like the dura touch coating on the stock even in wet conditions the stock did not become slippery and it is surprisingly fairly scratch resistant. I would recomend this rifle for anyone wanting to stay lightweight in a factory package.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
The original Rem Ti was never offered in the WSM's, only the SAUM's. So good luck finding one in .270 WSM!
Haha, your right.....I keep forgetting his needs, I was thinking if he were to get it rechambered.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:06 AM

The Browning would be the last thing I'd buy, but that's just me.

The Ti is also a discontinued item.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:07 AM

Chuck...when you shipping that Green Winny?

I'm waiting!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:20 AM

I'd do it today, but it's in pieces (you wouldn't like it like that). Just shipped out the Leupold for a warranty checkup. Should be back togethor mid next week though.

It's also kinda scratched and I hate to send something defective, apparently you have enough defective rifles in the safe.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
It's also kinda scratched and I hate to send something defective, apparently you have enough defective rifles in the safe
Nice shot.

But go ahead & send it how it is......I'm adept with these dealings by now.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Not really sure of the point of a camo sheep gun.
Well, if you end up with a J107 pack the camo could be handy stickin up over your head. I must rethink my shipping tag i've taped to the inside of my stock with all my drop info...its a blazing white flag swingin up there to let everything know i'm coming.

I never weighed my tikka .270 lam/ss empty but with leupy steel rings/bases and a burris ff2 3-9x40 (i think this scope is listed in the 12 ounce range? maybe a tad more?), no sling, no rounds in it comes to real world 7 lbs 15.5 ounces on our baby scale. The black synthetic (would be lighter), some aluminum rings and a lighter leupy scope would be a pretty light rig but because it was a long action anyhow...i just settled on the .270 and am happy. If i had the cash at the time then i would have looked hard at the finnlight in .270 wsm to get the benefit of the shorter action but couldn't find any weights of the new 85 finnlight?

Since your a reloader why not the tikka in 25-06? I can attest that my buddies is a shooter! You could probably get the speed your looking for but you'll just be 15-20 grains lighter in the bullet? It would be a rig you could get set up pretty dang quick too...tikka syn/ss in 25-06, Leupy fx2 6x36 with lr reticle(available now and wish some of my guns wore this scope...a migration might be at hand in the near future!), some light weight rings, some great reloads and done with style and on a budget and you won't cry too hard if it takes a tumble or two. (oh, and don't forget about the coyote fun to be had with that rig in the off season!)

Thats my vote, good luck, let us know what you decide in end.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:17 AM
sheephunter

I've got three .25-06s Stinky.....a couple of them very light and capable sheep rifles. Now I want a 270WSM and that's that. This wasn't meant to turn into a calibre debate and I'm not certain why some people always need to turn it that way. I'm looking for some info on light bolts and what people think of the performance of theirs and to that end several people have provided some very useful information. Please read the parameters I posted. Possibly I was a bit wishful at 5.5 pounds but it seems there are a couple options. How about 6.5 pounds as a max then in a .270WSM factory rifle.

Last edited by sheephunter; 09-19-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
How about 6.5 pounds as a max then in a .270WSM factory rifle.
Now your talkin. If this was my criteria, without a doubt I would go the Kimber Montana in the 270 WSM. My brother carries that exact rig for sheep. I set it up with a VX II 2-7X33 in Talley LW rings and it shoots like a house afire with the 130gr TSX over H4831 sc (classic 270 powder). It also carries and balances like a dream. Initially it fed a little rough, but 15 minutes worth of rail and feed ramp polishing with JB's and a dremmel corrected that post haste.

Once again, I wouldn't have the Browning, and I've used one quite a bit. The trigger broke on mine just below the stock line, and I know I'm not the only one to have that happen. The small parts are also extremly suseptable to rust, and unfortunately there is a bunch of those tiny parts in this rifle. Another that I would be leary of is the Remington Alaskan Ti. For that coin a guy can set up a lighter rifle for a similar price and have a better rifle. The whole premise bugs me a bit.

Chuck
Old 09-19-2007, 09:57 AM
sheephunter

Don't lose any sleep of it chuck...lol
Old 09-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Banned

I really think you should maybe consider a 7mm stw Sheep.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I've got three .25-06s Stinky.....a couple of them very light and capable sheep rifles. Now I want a 270WSM and that's that. This wasn't meant to turn into a calibre debate and I'm not certain why some people always need to turn it that way. I'm looking for some info on light bolts and what people think of the performance of theirs and to that end several people have provided some very useful information. Please read the parameters I posted. Possibly I was a bit wishful at 5.5 pounds but it seems there are a couple options. How about 6.5 pounds as a max then in a .270WSM factory rifle.
I havn't seen much posted on this website that does not turn into a debate, even in the buy/sell there are debates!
Old 09-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Banned

Okay then, revamped votes then.

Tikka. Will fit the requirements, no mucking around with bedding/triggers/crowning needed...will just shoot right out of the box. A bit boring though.

Sako 85 Finnlight. Only if the weight is low enough for real? And the funds will allow it!

Kimber. Looks like a good option too even if you might have to smooth over a few niggles? Would work on 'my' list as i like CZ's and i find i gotta tinker with mine but its worth it for those guns imo.

I couldn't rank which of those i'd put first. If budget plays a factor then tikka...if not and the sako is light enough dry then would have to see what it cost compared to a kimber and make the call. If the kimber close to price of sako then i'd probably just step up to the plate on the sako.

Remington, boring...err i mean browning.....not with the options above on the table....for me anyhow.

But still, what about a 6.5 285 or maybe a 6 dasher custom?