Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-01-2017, 08:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Question Examine the bore? Gun safety.

THE VITAL FOUR ACTS OF FIREARMS SAFETY

Assume every firearm is loaded.
Control the muzzle direction at all times.
Trigger finger must be kept off the trigger and out of the trigger guard.
See that the firearm is unloaded - PROVE it safe.
PROVE

Point the firearm in the safest available direction.
Remove all cartridges.
Observe the chamber.
Verify the feeding path.
Examine the bore.

Well having a coffee and watching a hunting show, talking about gun safety, handling in the field etc...I almost crapped my pants when the fella at the end of proving the gun safe...eyeballed the bore

Examine the bore...from the area you load at, if in dought that the bore is free of obstructions etc run a bore snake/cleaning rod through it...ya gotta think that there are key points driven into gun safety which is great but and I mean but the potential to eyeball the bore from the muzzle has the potential prior to this that a critical step was missed and somethings are habit forming, forget one and the potential to have an incident escalates.
My thought is never eyeball the muzzle, never did it as a civi nor in the army...boom, end ex
Keep,the gun pointed in a safe direction at all times no need to have your head in the potential line of fire...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-01-2017, 08:49 AM

I've eyeballed semi's after verifying the chamber is clear with my pinky. I'm not taking multiple pieces out to look.

Bolt actions I take the bolt out and observe from the back
Old 10-01-2017, 08:53 AM

I've eyeballed bores many, many times. If the bolt is open or removed a rifle cannot fire. No matter how left wing you are.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-01-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I've eyeballed bores many, many times. If the bolt is open or removed a rifle cannot fire. No matter how left wing you are.
Actually I play centre and sometimes defence, if goalie doesn't show up I will strap on the pads too.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Actually I play centre and sometimes defence, if goalie doesn't show up I will strap on the pads too.
Nice deflection. It's time we get control of all this talk of control. It's maddening pandering to the lowest common denominator.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-01-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:

My thought is never eyeball the muzzle, never did it as a civi nor in the army...boom, end ex
Keep,the gun pointed in a safe direction at all times no need to have your head in the potential line of fire...
And the "antis" win again. They will have you believing that all guns are about to start killing people all on their own.

I trust myself to inspect it properly and prove it safe (I would never trust anyone else to do it). Once I have proven it safe it is just another piece of wood and/or steel. A tool that you can examine from all angles like a hammer, drill or engine block.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 10-01-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
It's even worse when there is no common denominator.
Is there a Manitoba hunting forum?

-Billy Molls
Old 10-01-2017, 09:47 AM

It's a proven fact that guns can and will go off on their own. All they need is a finger on the trigger.

Colin
Old 10-01-2017, 10:16 AM

They teach you to look down the bore of the gun after clearing the action in the firearms classes. Stick a bore light in in the action and look down the end to clear it.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:21 AM
Banned

I don't get you people,
In 95% of accidental discharges the gun owner states 'I didn't think it was loaded'.
He'd likely posted at times (just like here), that only *****'s fall for all the 'anti' crap.
What's one of the main rules of gun safety...'never point the muzzle at anything you don't want to destroy.
You do realize the none of you would have gotten your PAL if you did this or recommended it at your test.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I don't get you people,
In 95% of accidental discharges the gun owner states 'I didn't think it was loaded'.
He'd likely posted at times (just like here), that only *****'s fall for all the 'anti' crap.
What's one of the main rules of gun safety...'never point the muzzle at anything you don't want to destroy.
You do realize the none of you would have gotten your PAL if you did this or recommended it at your test.
You do realize they teach you to look down the muzzle at firearms courses now?

How else would you check a semi auto?
Old 10-01-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I don't get you people,
Please tell me how a rifle can fire with the bolt removed?

-Billy Molls
Old 10-01-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
You do realize they teach you to look down the muzzle at firearms courses now?

How else would you check a semi auto?
Cock it open, holding open device engages leaving the action open, drop a bore snake in the action out through to the muzzle...

My whole point in this was that you get step one through whatever and make eyeballing the muzzle the norm and get comfortable doing so, just prey to god you didn't skip a step along the way...the show I was watching they were in the field and crossing a fence mimicking a hunting situation...we all,can relate to hunting situations and sometimes you get excited and if eyeballing the bore, head over the muzzle was taught...perhaps a recipe for disaster.
Like mentioned in an earlier post, point the muzzle in a safe direction at all times and if there is a mistake and the gun did go off lessens learned, at least you were not eyeballing the muzzle...

Old 10-01-2017, 10:40 AM

I am afraid to open my safe now. Has anyone heard of one just opening fire when you open the safe door?
Old 10-01-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Nice deflection. It's time we get control of all this talk of control. It's maddening pandering to the lowest common denominator.
Had to deflect, didn't want to mingle at the lowest common denominator nor upset anyone. Sometimes the best goals are on deflections intentional or not.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:04 AM

As my grandfather used to say, "People die in bed".

-Billy Molls
Old 10-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Cock it open, holding open device engages leaving the action open, drop a bore snake in the action out through to the muzzle...

My whole point in this was that you get step one through whatever and make eyeballing the muzzle the norm and get comfortable doing so, just prey to god you didn't skip a step along the way...the show I was watching they were in the field and crossing a fence mimicking a hunting situation...we all,can relate to hunting situations and sometimes you get excited and if eyeballing the bore, head over the muzzle was taught...perhaps a recipe for disaster.
Like mentioned in an earlier post, point the muzzle in a safe direction at all times and if there is a mistake and the gun did go off lessens learned, at least you were not eyeballing the muzzle...
I agree, interesting point about always pointing the muzzle in a safe direction. On another thread about gun safety you wont believe the amount of boneheads that said they had the muzzle pointing up when transporting their rifle. The reason.....you wont believe. Carrying their rifle with the muzzle down wears the crown of the rifle out...........hilarious. I wonder how many thousands of miles you have to road hunt to wear out a crown.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I agree, interesting point about always pointing the muzzle in a safe direction. On another thread about gun safety you wont believe the amount of boneheads that said they had the muzzle pointing up when transporting their rifle. The reason.....you wont believe. Carrying their rifle with the muzzle down wears the crown of the rifle out...........hilarious. I wonder how many thousands of miles you have to road hunt to wear out a crown.
I will not put my crown on the floor board either. Listen, if you have to, take up knitting. Just don't point the needles at you eye.

If your rifle is loaded be darn careful. But despite popular opinion, an unloaded rifle can't kill anything.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-01-2017, 12:05 PM

I carry my loaded rifle muzzle up sometimes when I sling it on my back. Otherwise it's facing sideways or down.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I carry my loaded rifle muzzle up sometimes when I sling it on my back. Otherwise it's facing sideways or down.
I never carry a loaded rifle unless I'm making a stock, am in the lead, or am alone.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-01-2017, 12:19 PM

I hunt alone and walk bush so anything can pop out at any time. If I have to put my gun down I unload it first. Safety always on.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDawg View Post
They teach you to look down the bore of the gun after clearing the action in the firearms classes. Stick a bore light in in the action and look down the end to clear it.
Bingo
Old 10-01-2017, 01:20 PM

I wonder if that bore snake comes with eyes?

-Billy Molls
Old 10-01-2017, 01:31 PM

When I did my pal and r-pal a few years ago at red deer shooting center they taught everyone to look down the barrel at the end of the PROVE inspection.....

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I wonder if that bore snake comes with eyes?
It'll just prove the weapon clear of any obstruction...safe the eyes for setting the sights on a big buck...

With the Hawkins we used our ram rod that had a notch on it indicating when the weapon was 1/2 loaded or proving the weapon was not.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:19 PM

Took my course two years ago and the instructor said to look down the bore. Almost crapped my pants but he said as long as you follow the steps, it’s not going to fire. During the test, they had a rod to check the bore so I used that instead of staring down the barrel.

I bought myself a bore light to shine through the barrel rather than looking down the bore for my long guns.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:05 PM

I don't consider a gun safe until I "peek and poke" the chamber and magazine. In other words visually look at the chamber/mag and poke my finger in there to confirm what my eyes see. There was a time when I was dumb and just used to cycle the action a couple times to prove it was unloaded. Not good enough. After a peek and poke on an open action it is pretty dam safe to look down the bbl for obstructions in my mind.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:17 PM

It must be nearly impossible to find a gunsmith to re-crown a barrel these days considering the danger.

When you take a rifle or shotgun out to use or you think there may be an obstruction in the barrel of your rifle during a day afield PLEASE check it out. It is not dangerous and might save you from a serious and real danger as opposed to Liberal imaginary danger where objects magically come to life and try to kill you. Open the action and look, stick your finger in the chamber if it makes you feel better and then check the bore. Guns will not reload themselves and you will never develop a dangerous habit of sticking your face in front of loaded firearms.

You should also get into the habit of carefully inspecting the crown with some magnification every now and again. Nothing ruins accuracy more then a damaged crown. Again, not dangerous if you are smarter than the tool you are inspecting.

This argument is not only ridiculous but dangerous. It is a kin to not walking around your vehicle before driving because you are too scared it might run you over.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
On another thread about gun safety you wont believe the amount of boneheads that said they had the muzzle pointing up when transporting their rifle.
You mean walking around with a rifle on a sling or in a vehicle? I would never throw my rifle muzzle down in my truck (rocks, getting debris in barrel, ect) if im hunting, a shotgun is a different story. If im going from the range and back they are in a case on my backseat.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:34 PM

Default Choices

A.image.jpg