Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-23-2008, 09:53 PM

Default REM Model 700 grouping problems

Hello all,
I have a small problem with my trusty 25.06 rem 700. I just recently installed a Boyds laminate stock and a quiwk-clip detachable mag kit. I took it to the range today and shoot a couple boxes since i knew it would be out with the mods. i have done. I got it ok, but it used to have alot tighter groupings before i changed the stock and such. It won't seem to fine tune as well?
There is gap between the forearm part of the stock and barrel, everything fit very nicely when i installed the new stock(no hard spots or binding), and the qwick-clip installed very nicely. Everything is nice and tight.
I let the barrel cool down properly like usual. Also same ammo grain, powder, and manufacter.
Any suggestions? Should i take it to a gunsmith? If so is there a good one in Calgary or area.
Thanks
Old 08-23-2008, 10:09 PM

First, check your scope and scope mounts. Make sure everything is tight and functioning properly.

Secondly, it is possible that the bedding is not as good as you think. You may need to glass bed the action, or the barrel may require upward pressure at the tip of the stock ( not every rifle shoots best with free floating).

Always tighten the front action screw first, then the rear.

There is no guarantee that a custom stock will make the same load shoot the same or better. You may have to try a number of things.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:13 PM

Check to make sure the screws are not to long,they might not be holding the action down snug enough.
As well the bedding may not be exactly the same as the old stock,if worse comes to worse it might need glass bedding.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:49 PM

Thanks guys for your advice, like i said before, it is shooting ok and when i adjust the scope it goes where it should, the fine tuneing is not coming in like it used too.
Is there a good gunsmith around Calgary that does glass bedding if i can't get her right dialed in (worse case senerio).
I think i'll take it apart again and make sure i tighten the front screw first. Everything including the scope I know is good and tight.
Thanks again
Buck
Old 08-24-2008, 10:36 AM

have the smithy install steel, magnum pillars in the stock. Laminates are not always quite as stable as their reputation states.