Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-24-2008, 08:06 AM

As much as I like the H-S, I am being drawn closer to the 700 Ti. The Sako too, has piqued my interest.

Not all have complained about the Kimber, but there has been enough negative feedback to scare me away completely.

Maybe some of the Sako fans could enlighten me as I have never owned one. Only a bit of range time with a TRG in 338 Lapua. Not exactly a lightweight hunter.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:30 AM

I have the Sako 85 stainless/synthetic 30-06 and it is a tac driver...it will do 5 shots under MOA...the finnlite model would be lighter if that is a concern for you.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:43 AM

I also have a sako finnbear in the 270 win. Before the scope cratered it was a tack driver as well. They have a very nice action and you can run some hotter loads through them and they can handle it no problems. I used it for sheep hunting, but packing the 6lbs. titanium is alot nicer that a 10lbs finnbear.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:50 PM

I've recently picked up a Sako 75 SS Synthetic in a 300 Weatherby and so far I'm very impressed with it. Even with my slight flinch I'm still able to get some great groups, 1-1.5" and with a little more practice I'm sure I can tighten those up. So far I've only had it to the range on 2 occasions. Although this particular model is a little on the heavy side with 8.5lbs, it helps the recoil a bit. If i had the cash, all my rifles would be Sakos......
Old 06-26-2008, 05:12 PM

Default Too Bad...

I realize that there has obviously been many bad experiences with Kimber. My pal Swarovski has a montana in .270WSM that will hold 1/2MOA for five, with 140gr accubond handloads. He was not happy with how it fed however, and polished the rails and ramp himself. AFter handling and shooting his, I just had to have one. I bought a Montana in 7mm-08 a few months back. Bedding is good, fit and finish is great, feeds nice, and so far is grouping into 1moa with most loads I am working up. I will say it is the nicest handling rifle I own by a long shot, and will be a real treat to carry this fall in the mountains. I would recommend it based soley on my own personal experience.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:02 PM

I bought the Alaskan Ti in 270WSM. Next year, the HS Pro LW in 300WSM.

Thanks all.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:34 PM

The Alaskan Ti is a piece of crap! Numerous marks and scrapes, doesn't feed or eject, the X-Mark Pro trigger is the worst I have ever encountered, and the Bell & Carlson stock is warped.

I sent it back.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Banned

take that money and put it into a custom with the right builder imo...i'm starting to see the light on this now, get it exactly how you want, it would be pretty awesome what you could build for the cost of an h.s. precision me thinks...

sps stainless for the action, sell the barrel and stock as new, have a good rem 700 smith take it from there, pick your barrel length, stock, he will true the action, do the trigger to your desired pull etc. you can center the gun around a specific high bc bullet you want to run so the barrel will have the right twist etc.

not sure i'll buy much for factory kit when it comes to guns now, my next is going to be a mountain build around a 6mm of some sort to push berger 115 gr at .595 bc and i want to build it light and simple for the mountains...definitely going custom on it, other top pics are the 6.5x47 or 6.5-284 (maybe 260 rem?) and then 7 rem mag but i have a 7 rem mag on the way so i want something smaller and lighter overall and thats why the 6mm next....the 140 gr berger in 6.5 and 168 gr berger for 7mm have .64 bc's....might as well shoot the good stuff if starting now imo....these suckers will reach way way out there

good luck with your choice...i like the montana btw, never felt one/held one, but i'd be inclined to do a very similar build but in a caliber, twist, and barrel length that "I" choose.....it would be worth the bit of extra cash if any to get it my way...
Old 07-30-2008, 10:19 PM

I'm the guy Catnthehat mentioned with the 84m in 308. Mine is accurate with handloads, it took a bit longer for me to find a sweet load then some other guns I've owed but not much.

The rifle is a joy to carry and shoot in the field, it is a bit touchy off a bench for some reason. I have shot some three shot groups that were one hole and others that were 1.5-2.00 inches, probably me.

The other thing that makes me love the gun is everything it has barked at has dropped on the spot, I've shot 10 deer with it the last three years all but one offhand in the bush at distances up to 150 yards...all ten bangflops.

Likely not statistically valid, but it sure makes me happy.

If the Montana had a hinged floorplate I would have one of those. In 300 WSM it would be a bit intense working up loads though for sure.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Banned

ooooh, if doing factory kit that browning ti looks good too....maybe go check one of them out....thats light!
Old 08-01-2008, 12:22 PM

I have heard almost as many complaints about the Brownings as I have the Kimbers. Apparently; and through word of mouth, Browning has multiple lawsuits against it in regard to mechanical failures and problems with follow through on warranty.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Banned

back to the nosler 48 or h.s. precision then?....

is a custom build out of the question? you could end up with 'your' perfect gun that way...or are you time sensitive for this season?
Old 08-03-2008, 09:37 AM

I keep trying to get in contact with a few of the custom builders that have been referred through this forum, but no luck so far. I keep getting the same response, "Busy. We will call you back."

Not impressed with the responses so far, especially considering the amount of cash I am willing to chuck at one of these guys.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Banned

try Henry Rempel at 403-272-8416, he lives NE calgary..i don't have time to tell you about him but he will be as good as you'll find in this province i'm sure, heavy into benchrest, machinest by trade, his own machine shop on his premise for just this sort of thing, he builds his own actions for his own personal use for competition etc., my friend uses him extensively and his guns are stupid accurate...he's not much of a talker so it generally works best if you show up with the action and just tell him to make it shoot and he'll take it from there.....i'll try to send you pm later but if you can get this guy its all good
Old 08-27-2008, 02:01 PM

Default hi

hi to all the members of this forum.
---------------------------------------
Davis.

Montana Alcohol Addiction Treatment