Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-02-2008, 07:58 PM

Default problems today

I was at the range today and my rifle had 2 delayed fires. Not by much but definitely delayed. I was able to hear the pin drop and then the bang. This was a new batch of bullets I had loaded so I thought it was something I had done. I grabbed a round from a load that I use frequently and I had a misfire. I held on for about 30 seconds just in case and when I ejected and checked the round the primer was touched but the round didn't fire.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what happened? I have been loading for about 5 years now and I have never had a problem. Could it be inside the bolt? If so, how do you strip the bolt of a 700 ADL?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah the wife doesn't think it is broken bad enough to warrant a new rifle. I tried that one on the way home from the range.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:23 PM

I think your firing pin is hanging up on you. Had the same thing happen to my Win 25-06. Just sprayed a bunch of G96 gun oil on it and away she went.

But its a very funny feeling situation, for sure !!
Old 08-02-2008, 08:43 PM

Depending on where your gun has been hunting, you may want to take it into the gunsmith for a thorough dissassembly and cleaning.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:50 PM

Hosing the bolt down with any sort of lubricant is asking for trouble.
A Rem 700 bolt is easy to disassemble, but there are a few tricks, I've seen it done with a quarter to be precise. Here is what I do.
I put two shims of walnut hardwood in my bench vise jaws.
I then tighten the vise on the striker abutment on the bottom of the bolt. Once tight just pull the striker back and un screw the striker assembly from the bolt body.
Now degrease the striker, firing pin spring, and firing pin, I just use brake cleaner. Then I put a chamber mop on an old piece of celaning rod, saturate the mop with brake cleaner, and swab out the inside of the bolt body, followed by a thourough hosing down till it runs out the firing pin hole.
Using any sort of liquid lubricant invites two possable disasters. One being a stiffening of the lubricant in cold weather (I dont care what the label says) The other is it collects dirt grit and other debris, which can compound the first headache, or just gum things up to the point of not working.
I use Remington's Dry Lube on my bolt interiors, it dries totally, leaving a dry teflon film that acts both as a lubricant and a rust preventative at the same time.

FWIW was it a batch of primers you've had for a while or some you recently picked up?
Were your cases and primer pockets totally dry and grease free?

There are no absolutes
Old 08-02-2008, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the help guys. The primers are less than a month old so I don't think that is the problem. That is a great point though and one I will try to keep tucked in the back of my little noggin.
I'll try to take it apart and see what happens from there.
I still like the new gun argument though. I tried again a few minutes ago and got "the look".
Old 08-02-2008, 09:47 PM

It seems to me that if the primer is being struck then everything upstream is working ok. Should not have to take the bolt apart. Your problem appears to be in the cartridge somewhere. I suggest you try firing a few rounds in another rifle if you still think that the problem is with the fireing mechanism. If that works ok then you may be right. If the same problem occurs with a different rifle then you have isolated the problem.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 08-02-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
It seems to me that if the primer is being struck then everything upstream is working ok. Should not have to take the bolt apart. Your problem appears to be in the cartridge somewhere. I suggest you try firing a few rounds in another rifle if you still think that the problem is with the fireing mechanism. If that works ok then you may be right. If the same problem occurs with a different rifle then you have isolated the problem.
I had two rifles with me today. The second rifle had the same primers. No problems with the other gun as long as you don't count my erratic shooting. Had a group with the first 2 touching and when I touched off the third shot I knew before I went to the spotting scope I had pulled it.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:11 PM

Sounds like a light primer strike to me. Follow Dick's instructions...there is a disassembly tool for rem bolts, not sure of the cost though.

Don't know if you tumble your brass or not but make sure and then make sure again you have gotten all the media out of the case. I had a delay fire once and it was a reult of exactly that. A piece of media lodged in the top of the flash hole and a less than adequate flame reached the charge resulting in a slow ignition.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
....Oh yeah the wife doesn't think it is broken bad enough to warrant a new rifle. I tried that one on the way home from the range.
You're a lucky man, being married to a gunsmith and all. Don't do anything about this problem, it's all in your pretty head.

The Rem 700 bolt "disassembly kit" Dick recommends costs a quarter dollar, works very well, and can be picked up most anywheres.

Hearing a click then a 'bang' as you have is not the most fun way to go about shooting a high power rifle, that's for sure. I've yet to experience it, 'cept for those times I mis-load the magazine and rack the bolt right over the top of the next cartridge. Clicks onto an empty chamber, but no bang. Wait a while and take a peek. A great way to loose points in a timed match, or to find out if or how bad I be flinching. lol.

How long do you guys wait before opening the bolt, after a misfire?
Old 08-02-2008, 11:52 PM

Another problem that might be occuring is if when resizing your brass the shoulder has been pushed too far back. Through my own mistake I found that this can case improper headspacing,this allows the cartridge to move foreward in the chamber when the fireing pinstrikes. The fireing pin will leave an indentation on the primer but will push the brass foreward rather than striking with enough force to cause ignition.
Dick284 is also along the right train of thought,never have met the man but his advice to others in the past has helped myself
Hope this helps
Old 08-03-2008, 09:49 AM

If it is the bolt, stripping and cleaning is easy. Find instructions online. Not rocket science.

Maybe contaminated primers? My buddy and I had the same problem last year. New batch of primers that were firing inconsistently. I have a feeling that my buddy had some sweaty fingers during the reloading process.

I stick with surgical gloves when handling primers and powders.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:32 PM

Wholesale or Russells carry a Remington accessory that makes it easy to remove the firing pin on a 700 or 7. Can't seem to find i on the Rewmington website though.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:17 PM

All of the above tips should be looked at, but if it was just two, and no issues with the other rifle, i'd look at a dirty bolt first.
Also, maybe check the seating depth of your primers.
Stuck media is a common problem as well , as was already stated.

It could be any of the above, please keep us posted!
Cat
Old 08-04-2008, 06:34 PM

Default update

I was able to strip the bolt without tools. I found a video on youtube and it is ingenious! You should check it out. The dude uses his boot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDy2GrIx6p8
Well I stripped it apart and the pin and spring had some crud on it. I started to use Brakekleen but I ran out. I swabbed it all dry and continued to clean with Powder Blast. When I was spraying out the shroud there was a bunch of small metal particles and the spray wasn't clear it seemed dirty. Dried it all off and coated with Remington Dri-lube. Reassembled and when I dry fired it a few times it actually worked! I was a little worried there for a moment or two. Now I have to get back out to the range and see if it all works. Unfortunately it is an hour there and back possibly for nothing.
If this doesn't work I will have to assume that it is the primers. If so, then what do I do with all the brass that I have primed? I have about 120 cases that are ready to be charged.

Thanks for all the ideas here guys. This is why I keep coming back to the site.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:47 PM

Wow there is a new twist to things. I will file that one away for future refrence.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-04-2008, 09:25 PM

From the video I Don't get what role the shoe plays, is it just working as a third hand holding it from popping open?

I've never stripped a 700 bolt, thought you needed a tool.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:08 PM

I just tried it and it works great.

- First hook the front loop on your bootlace to the square notch on the bolt's striker (striker is not blued, and is below the bolt shroud).
- Then pull the bolt body back to disengage the striker from the cocking ramp on the bolt body.
- Finally, while maintaining this pull, spin the bolt handle/body CCW away from the striker/shroud assembly.

You could probably get the same results by using a loop of para cord around any fixed object, like a tree, door handle...

What a great practical tip from Cowtown guy.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:42 PM

No problem guys. I tried it for the disassembly and it was a snap! A little harder to reassemble but I am sure that with practice it would get easier.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
How long do you guys wait before opening the bolt, after a misfire?
Dunno if anybody quoted this yet or not... but I usually wait 60 seconds. That's how long my safety manual says as well. The last thing you want to do is pop out the round at 15 or 30 and have a 308 shell blow your thumb off.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I was able to strip the bolt without tools. I found a video on youtube and it is ingenious! You should check it out. The dude uses his boot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDy2GrIx6p8
Well I stripped it apart and the pin and spring had some crud on it. I started to use Brakekleen but I ran out. I swabbed it all dry and continued to clean with Powder Blast. When I was spraying out the shroud there was a bunch of small metal particles and the spray wasn't clear it seemed dirty. Dried it all off and coated with Remington Dri-lube. Reassembled and when I dry fired it a few times it actually worked! I was a little worried there for a moment or two. Now I have to get back out to the range and see if it all works. Unfortunately it is an hour there and back possibly for nothing.
If this doesn't work I will have to assume that it is the primers. If so, then what do I do with all the brass that I have primed? I have about 120 cases that are ready to be charged.

Thanks for all the ideas here guys. This is why I keep coming back to the site.
Pop a primer in the rifle you only get a small bang.Treat it like a BB gun and point it a safe direction.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:28 AM

i had this issue with a ISS lock on one of my 700`s,,
seemed the firing spring was compreesed in there and rubbed the body ...
$.o2
Old 08-23-2008, 08:51 AM

My best guess would actually be that the primers were not seated all the way.

That being said, if you had fired a bunch of hot loads in that rifle, and had some shavings of brass off the cartridge head, some of that brass could work it's way into the bolt and bind things up a little.