Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-21-2008, 10:14 AM

Default Looking to buy an auot shotgun for my wife

Hi guys,
I 'm going to buy the wife an auto shotgun next week I and she would like the least felt recoil auto shotgun in a 12 gauge. What are your suggestions for this?
I'm looking at A391 XTREMA2 SEMI-AUTOMATIC WATERFOWLER: SYNTHETIC with kick off or a SUPER BLACK EAGLE II.
Any help in this would be greatly appreciated by all.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:35 AM

Default auto

Either gun would be a great choice but if weight is a issue look at the Super Light by Benelli and the wood has a very good water froof finish...puphood1
Old 08-21-2008, 10:40 AM

Default auto

P.S. and save yourself some significant money and buy it south of the 49th. even after the exchange handling fee's ect you are probably going to be amazed at what you will save if you already don't know...puphood1
Old 08-21-2008, 12:40 PM

Of the two you've mentioned, the Beretta is more adjustable for stock length but not with the KO. With the KO option, minimum stock length may still be too long for her. It's one thing to have softer recoil but if it doesn't fit, that's not going to matter.

A better fitting stock is more likely to buffer recoil than anything else in my opinion.

If I was buying for my wife and she wanted a Beretta for ducks and geese, I'd buy the Urika for a little less money. My wife's not likely to ever shoot 3 1/2 inchers.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:23 PM

Do you know where we can get a proper stock fitting for my wife? I agree if it dose not fit recoil is not an issue.
She does not care what I buy as long as the felt recoil is a low as possible. This way she will enjoy the shooting and will go out more often.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:48 PM

Wouldn't a 20 gauge auto be even more comfortable for her?
Old 08-21-2008, 02:22 PM

With the extra clothing worn during duck and goose hunting, a shorter stock may make all the difference in the world.

The stock shims are pretty useful to get a better fit but if you need to have a shorter stock, I wonder if you might be better off getting a gun with a youth stock or a wooden stock that you can easily cut. Cutting down the length of the stock is going to be a little tricky (not a good idea) with the Comfortech stock on the SBEII but if I'm not mistaken the Extrema 2 without the KO will shorten down to 13 3/4 or maybe all the way down to 13 1/2 by taking out the spacers.

This might be a situation where an easily replaceable stock like a Rem 1100 might be a good bet. You can buy those everywhere. If you screwed up while cutting a Beretta or Benelli...... I think you'd be hooped. Don't do it. In fact on the Beretta, I don't think you could cut it down and still have the recoil pad attach.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by M70; 08-21-2008 at 02:30 PM. Reason: More info.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:40 PM

We had a Remington 11-87 20 gauge that I bought last year and the felt recoil was greater then my weatherby 12 sas.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:35 AM

Default Shotgun

P c
Beretta do make a 3 inch gun called an RL, for smaller framed shooters. There is likely info on their website. i have a friend whos wife shoots sporting clays and she's a tiny little Texan and she moves this shotgun very well.
You could also try using 2 3/4 inch shells if you haven't already? FS
Old 08-22-2008, 09:36 PM

Not sure how tall or what size your wife is, but Danni hunts with a remignton express 870 youth in a 20 gauge. I've shot numerous times, very light, kicks just harder than a .22, and had dropped numerous amounts of ducks with it.

Shes about 5'4" 120lbs and when she holds my Bennelli Nova it's very akward for her and heavy.

I believe when we were looking at the guns we could have also gone with an Remington 870 12 gauge with a youth stock. would probably fit her very nice and a 3" 12 gauge does not kick that hard espesially if it fits properly.

If recoil is still an issue there are very good recoil reducing pads you could put on it.

Way better to have a gun that she can actually hold and aim then one with less recoil. If she can't hit anything because the gun is too big, she will loose intrest pretty quick. IMO

Dustin
Old 08-22-2008, 10:09 PM

That sounds great she is 5'3 about 130 lbs I think I wiil try to see if we can shoot one the remington express 20 gauge yes it is better to fit properly than the recoil, but the recoil is still an issue with felt recoil for here.