Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-25-2008, 09:21 AM

Default 1895M 450 Marlin

Hello to all I am looking at a Marlin 1895M in 450 Marlin with a 18.5 barrel, 7 pounds. How heavy would this rifles recoil be, is it manageable or will it rattle my teeth loose. The ballistics say you zero it at 200 meters with a heavy bullet. It has a little to much drop at 300 meters. Plenty of energy for any thing that walks on this side of the earth. Once again is it manageable recoil please if you can will you compare it to an 870 12 gauge recoil.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:45 AM

It will kick,(actually jump) and it will seem very loud with that short barrel.(lots of muzzle blast)How much I have no idea, comparing a rifle to a shotgun is a bad analogy, since the shotgun has more drop at the comb, and tight cheek weld on a shotgun is pretty rude.
Also of note is what barrel length they quote the ballisitcs from, likely not the shorty, so expect to give up some numbers with the shorter barrel.
Also what type of hunting do you do: caliber and rifle choices may change as the style of hunting changes.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-25-2008, 12:00 PM

Got to fire one of these in a very short barreled T/C. The muzzle flash was in a word, impressive. The recoil would have been about like a 3" slug load in a 12 gauge. However the Marlin you are looking at has a longer barrel (T/C was min. legal) and quite a bit more weight. Found it kind of like shooting a big bore handgun, not something you'd want to put a ton of rounds through in one sitting, but try to wipe that stupid grin off your face after the first couple rounds.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:15 AM

Yes, at full power the little carbine is going to be a rude little gun. You will not want to spend a lazy summer afternoon plinking with a mule like that, it is the ballistic twin of the 45-70. For me personally, between 6~12 full power rounds in this gun is enough, then it is time to get the milder guns out.

Ball park trajectory for the round is here:

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ballis...50_marlin.html

IMO this is not a 200 yard gun, nevermind 300.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:41 PM

I do have a 1895M and really like it. Like previously mentioned, there is a fair amount of kick, but i compare it fairly close to a 12 gauge shotgun shooting slugs. Looking at the ballistic charts, i think that if you don't plan on reloading this is the perfect calibre gun. There are no factory 45-70 loads that come remotely close to the 450 marlin in terms of velocity and energy. I don't reload so it is the best bigbore levergun i think i could have asked for. I am using the 325grain LEVERevolution ammo from Hornady which i have found to be readily available and am out in the field shooting this rifle instead of sitting at home wasting my time reloading. It may not be the best deer hunting rifle out there, but face to face with that mad grizzly i would want to have this rifle by my side.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:16 PM

Default The little gun that could!

I have one of these Marlin beauties and yes, she kicks like a ****ed off mule. I shoot a 300 magnum and find the 450 to be nasty in comparison. I still love this rifle and don't plan on parting with it. I've taked a couple of bears and a moose with it and the results were very convincing. Don't plan on shooting a box of shells at the range in one sitting, but once you've gotter set, she's a joy to pack around in the bush and even more fun to watch your friends shoot it!
Old 08-14-2008, 06:18 PM

As a handloader who owns a Marlin 1895 CB in 45-70 that has seen some stoked up loads, I made a point of putting on a quality Pachmayr Decellerator recoil pad along with a strap on shoulder pad so I could spend some serious time at the range - 30-40 rounds are normal, my shoulder is not black and blue, and more importantly, I have not developed a flinch.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:49 PM

I have not shot a 450, but shoot a .45-70 1895GS (18.5" barrell) with handloads that match the 450's factory offerings. Yes the gun kicks, no doubt about that. But truthfully, I put a Limbsaver aftermarket recoil pad on mine and find the recoil very managable. To me the recoil feels more like a heavy shove compared to the sharper crack of say my 300WSM - but that's just me. Also, I must agree with a previous poster in that the "stupid grin" factor is high with the big bore lever guns

As for practical hunting range, I think the 450 Marlin/45-70 +P are 200yd guns max - again, just my opinion.

As an additional $.02 that wasn't requested - if you reload, consider the 45-70 as you can load up 450 level ammo for hunting/defence but also load much milder (and cheaper) plinker loads which are fun to shoot and easier on the shoulder.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:20 AM

I have an 1895M 450 Marlin shooting 325gr Hornady Lever Evolutions. This rifle has very little recoil, it pushes but it definately doesn't "kick like a mule". It is actually very pleasant to shoot. My girlfriend enjoys shooting it as well. I never once considered a recoil pad for it, and was very surprised in the (what I consider) "low recoil".