Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-18-2020, 01:57 PM

Default Misfiring

I've had my Ruger m77 30-06 since 1992. Been a great gun for me to trek around with and very reliable. Until...about two seasons ago I had a couple of misfires at the range, very disconcerting. Talked a guy at the range who seemed to know what he was talking about, suggested my ammo was the issue. Maybe damp, stored improperly etc. Made sure to keep new ammo on hand, kept in dry storage etc. Then it happened twice again this fall with a different brand, new box, no reason to fail.
So, once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action. What is wrong with my 'ol reliable Ruger? Any thoughts, ideas.
Thanks a ton!
Old 12-18-2020, 02:03 PM

Has the bolt ever been taken apart and the internals cleaned?
Old 12-18-2020, 02:04 PM

Could be several things but the main cause of misfires in rifles is an internally gummed up bolt.
tear it down and it don't be surprised if there is a bunch of built up crud in the bolt body.
Cat
Old 12-18-2020, 02:08 PM

Usually gummed up bolt and or trigger mechanism . Often guys use WD-40 and it becomes sticky .
Old 12-18-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
This. Usually a clot of goo between the firing pin shoulder and the inside of the bolt face, or the pin is so gummed up it doesn’t strike the primer with enough force. You should see a shallow dimple if that is happening.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
This, bolt needs stripping and cleaning, maybe a little dry graphite powder inside

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:11 PM

Sounds like you have a mung problem.

Disassemble the bolt, and use a pistol brush(maybe 2 different sizes) and lots of parts cleaner or brake cleaner, then use a dry non sticky lubricant like Rem Dri, nothing liquid at all. Even if it’s advertised as non freezing or what ever, if it’s wet it attracts crud, and voila, you end up with mung.

While you are at it you may as well pull the action out of the stock, and get rid of your mung there too, remember no liquids below the stock line.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-18-2020, 03:45 PM

This happened to me, tried everything listed above. In the end it was a headspace problem.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:46 PM

As everyone said. dirty bolt internals. I completely strip down my hunting rifles after hunting season and completely clean everything and re-oil them. I'll usually do it in the summer too. depending on how much target time they got. I shoot them in the summer and hunt in the fall and don't like to mess with anything after getting them just how I like them.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:35 PM

I agree with the above strip it down and use a good grease remover to clean the gunk out. I like break clean for that job. This is the easiest and cheapest fix.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:24 AM

Young fella I know had this problem, he had oiled up his bolt and in the cold it would miss fire a lot.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:30 AM

So, everyone provided pretty much the same advice, what did you find when you stripped the bolt down?
Old 12-19-2020, 01:12 PM
Banned

If it's still misfiring after a through, it could be head space. Are you using factory or reloaded ammo ? If it's reloads you may be resizing your brass too much causing excessive head space.
Old 12-19-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357Maximum View Post
If it's still misfiring after a through, it could be head space. Are you using factory or reloaded ammo ? If it's reloads you may be resizing your brass too much causing excessive head space.

Too much sizing is one possibility, the other with hand loads is the primers are being set too deep into the pocket. Especially common after the primer pocket is uniformed too much but it ca nhappen from just too much force when seating them.
Old 12-19-2020, 02:38 PM

Misfire, shoot the son of a b!+$&

Couldn’t resist an Unforgiven quote, sorry.

I agree with the goo, goop, mung and debris responses. A good disassembly and inspection is a good place to start.
Old 12-19-2020, 02:38 PM

Pull the bolt, soak in engine de greaser or varsol for a good couple of hours, use compressed air on the firing pin to see what comes out the back end.

Alot of times pushing a rod of crud cutter or copper cutter from the barrel, not the breach, will let some contaminated fluid get on the bolt face if you forgot to take the bolt out.

Sometimes its just oil getting gummy.

But if you can take the bolt apart, that is the best way to make sure the spring and firing pin are moving cleanly.

Drewski
Old 12-25-2020, 01:29 PM

Thanks guys,
Sounds like I'm cleaning the bolt (which I haven't done in a long while) and hopefully that takes care of it.
I'll let you know!
Old 12-25-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
This happened to me, tried everything listed above. In the end it was a headspace problem.
same deal, brand new savage and about 50% of factory shells no matter the brand would have light primer strikes and not fire. Once i had enough brass and necked sized only no more issues.
Old 12-25-2020, 09:06 PM

Default Buddy had

A paddle stock Ruger 77 .270 It misfired when it felt like it in weather cold or hot.Had it to a smith who checked firing pin protrusion and thoroughly cleaned the innards.Replaced the firing pin spring with a stronger Wolff spring still did it.Finally sold it in frustration with full disclosure.Suitable as a tomato stake.