Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-03-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
The only real reason that Les uses a shot gun is because that it makes great footage when they are close to the camera. A shotgun makes the moving hits easier when they are in your face. I've successfully hunted coyotes since before I could drive. I'm 35 now. I tried carrying a shotgun for a season and I can tell you that it's not worth it. The extra gun is a pain in the arse. It's far easier to stop them at 150 yards and make them dead.

I'm also a fur buyer and can tell you for a fact that a shotgun killed coyote does not sell as well as one shot with a 223. Most buyers will miss the shotgun damage but the auction fur graders don't. The pellets cut the hair, so instead of a single bullet cutting hair now you have 30+ bb's acting like a three year old with a pair of scissors.
Duelly noted. I think if you call in a double or triple it would make it easier to get 2 up close with the shotgun and a possible 3rd running rifle shot. If they all run in to close range you might even get all 3 with a shotgun. I've seen him get a easy shotgun double that would have been a hard rifle double. Btw he shotguned coyotes in competition in the 80,s loooong before his show.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordevr View Post
Duelly noted. I think if you call in a double or triple it would make it easier to get 2 up close with the shotgun and a possible 3rd running rifle shot. If they all run in to close range you might even get all 3 with a shotgun. I've seen him get a easy shotgun double that would have been a hard rifle double. Btw he shotguned coyotes in competition in the 80,s loooong before his show.
Coyotes are much smarter now than they were even 10 years ago. I wish I could have hunted them in the 80's knowing what I know now.

Btw. Les hunts on land that doesn't get to see other hunters. With all the fox pro ninjas out these days the only time to kill a bunch on one stand is during the fall before the pelts are prime and the pups haven't had an opportunity to learn any lessons yet.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Coyotes are much smarter now than they were even 10 years ago. I wish I could have hunted them in the 80's knowing what I know now.

Btw. Les hunts on land that doesn't get to see other hunters. With all the fox pro ninjas out these days the only time to kill a bunch on one stand is during the fall before the pelts are prime and the pups haven't had an opportunity to learn any lessons yet.
I find that because of the popularity of the e caller the mouth blown is more effective right after deer season.
There are lots of guys playing with e callers in deer season and educating coyotes.
-
Old 09-04-2017, 04:05 AM

Quote:

He drives and asks for permission just like all die hard predator hunters but when you kill as many as him you hunt Everywhere. That boy hustles hard and he knows how to call and how to shoot. Watch the video but skip to 7:10 in the video.

Skip to 7:10 in the video
https://youtu.be/6q845mzsRO8
Old 09-18-2017, 08:38 PM

So just for kicks I shot at my previously shot 40 yard target with my 23yr old mossberg pump using the hornady mag bb coyote load with wad control. I actually got a few more pellets on paper than I did with the Stoeger and a improved cylinder. Gonna get the ..... choke and try it with the Stoeger 🤔
Old 09-24-2017, 08:19 PM

Picked up 2 pattern master chokes for the m3500 Stoeger (anaconda long range and Classic) and a couple coyote loads. Hornady BB and just plain hevinshot duck in BB Will post pics when I get a chance to pattern them.😍 Not cheap so hope it's considerably better than factory chokes. 🤞
Old 09-26-2017, 01:17 AM

Just before Dark I shot a BB Hevi-Shot and a Hornady Coyote BB Through the new Pattern Master Anaconda. Wow! Still got to do more tests but I don't think it's looking good for my old favorite Hornady round. Not even close. Might check to see if there is a hornady round without Versa tite wad control.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1063.jpg (39.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1066.jpg (47.1 KB, 41 views)
Old 09-26-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Just before Dark I shot a BB Hevi-Shot and a Hornady Coyote BB Through the new Pattern Master Anaconda. Wow! Still got to do more tests but I don't think it's looking good for my old favorite Hornady round. Not even close. Might check to see if there is a hornady round without Versa tite wad control.
Amazing how much you can learn by actually patterning a shotgun. Good for you for taking the time.

The Anaconda is the least effective of the Pattermaster chokes. If you want to keep shooting the Hornady get a Black Cloud version, it is designed for the flight control wads. You will easily surpass your second target.

Alternatively, if you shoot that same Hevi shot you can save a lot of money, shoot it through a Classic PatternMaster Extended Range choke. As long as you buy ammo that is 1500 fps or less you will more than double, most likely triple the hits on the yote. I know that mine at 50 yards only makes about a 30" circle with BBs, with 100% of the pellets in that circle. I would suggest you take the Anaconda back and swap it for the Classic Extended Range Ported model and give that a try.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

I would suggest you take the Anaconda back and swap it for the Classic Extended Range Ported model and give that a try.
You have no idea how happy your post made me. I bought the anaconda and the classic at the same time, I just havnt had time to try the classic yet.

On there website they say the Anaconda was designed for flight control wads.

That said I had already decided to buy a black cloud choke because I am loving what I see with federal ammo in my .204 and now from what I've seen the 12ga. Ammo seems to be impressive also.

Here's another question. If I want to shoot BB(non lead) what is the best load/choke combination. Les Johnson says the Nickel plated bb is hard but in some gel test broee233 did they definitely still compress whereas the black cloud didn't and had more penetration in the gel test.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:59 AM

Black Cloud is great ammo but a little expensive. For shooting yotes I doubt price will matter much but if you shoot a lot like at waterfowl the lower cost comes into play. I like the inexpensive ammo, and that is where the Patternmaster Classic Extended comes into play. It is designed to make cheaper steel and nickle shot pattern like the expensive stuff. In fact Black Cloud asked Patternmaster to develop a special choke for their ammo when they saw how effective the Classic series was with regular ammo.

As long as you keep the ammo speed under 1500 FPS in the Classic chokes, it patterns, shoots and penetrates as good as the more expensive ammo, according to everything I have read. I have only shot a few birds with it so far but even with $15 a box Winchester 3" BBs it really hammers big geese out to the 70 yard mark. It is like they ran into a wall, they just crumple and they drop stone dead.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:19 PM

I only hunt Coyote but the guy in the store told me the same thing. He said his buddy got one and they could tell if he shot them or someone else. He said it's like they hit a wall too. I picked up 2 boxes of Black Cloud today and will patten on the weekend. Was slightly bummed when I realized one is over 1500fps and the other has a flight control wad so I can't use either in the Pattern Master Classic.

Oh well I'll try the hevishot in the classic and that should be decent too.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:49 AM

PS. PatternMaster has the most amazing customer service. I can talk to someone almost instantly on there website by clicking on the little text bubble and typing my question which is answered by a live customer service rep. Although I was told the new Black Cloud Flex Was is ok to shoot in the classic tube, the box I got was slightly (85fps) over the recommended 1550fps so they said I shouldn't use it.😥 Will try the slower black cloud in the Anaconda Tube.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:03 AM

Pattern master recommends their Code Black Duck tube and BB for Coyote.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:38 AM

Pattern Master Anaconda and the old wad in a Black Cloud that I wasn't able to shoot out of the Classic tube. Pretty good but I gotta get it tighter than that. Hevi Shot is still the tightest so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1204.jpg (38.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 10-01-2017, 11:07 AM

I will be interested to see the pattern of the Hevi shot through the Classic extended.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I will be interested to see the pattern of the Hevi shot through the Classic extended.
I shot the hevishot through the classic but still not as good as the anaconda. On both targets no matter where I put the 9in. pie plate, them most hits I could get was 12 or 13. So both tubes are going to be close I think but the Anaconda lets me Shot flight control wads. Looking at the shot now it may have been slightly high so I will take some more shots with both when the weather is nicer. The down side is Hevishot BB did poorly in penetration tests against Hornady Coyote BB and Black Cloud BB, so even if it patterns the best, I might not use it. I'll include the link to the penetration tests.

BlindSide
https://youtu.be/CZzbHavPA8k

Hornady
https://youtu.be/smJRQHss26w

Black Cloud
https://youtu.be/CKteNMB69sU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1212.jpg (42.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1211.jpg (37.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-04-2017, 12:27 AM

Shot some more 3ft x 3ft targets.
I shot 4 with the classic pattern master tube and 2 targets with the anaconda pattern master tube. I put up the 2 anaconda targets and the best hevi classic and the best black cloud classic.

Anaconda is winning and the hevi shot is winning too. That said, the Hevi shot still has low penetration issues. The Hornady Coyote BB was very very sad but that is expected with tight chokes and that load. Waiting for my open choke for my Stoeger and then will have another go with the hornady BB.

Still want to try a code black duck tube with Black Cloud as suggested by Patern Master. Black cloud also had the best penetration with hornady a close second. Hevi shot was quite a bit shallower.

In the future I see a kicks and a Carlson tube getting a "shot" at it.😜
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1232.jpg (44.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1233.jpg (40.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1234.jpg (43.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1235.jpg (54.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 10-05-2017, 01:06 PM

As you can see in these 3 Gel test Photos the Hornady and Black Cloud out perform the Hevi shot big time when it comes to penetration with these loads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1239.jpg (31.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1240.jpg (26.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1242.jpg (31.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-05-2017, 10:02 PM

Sry not hevishot it was BlindSide so maybe hevishot is still in.🤔
Old 10-26-2017, 10:35 PM

I got 2 yotes with shotgun yesterday. Tried the black cloud. Wasn't impressed. 8 yards and 30'yards. Going to give the hornady BB Coyote a try next time.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
That chart you posted says not to use the Imp Mod choke with steel... Wouldn't nickel plated be considered "steel" ?

Nope it is still lead , same as copper plated shot, still lead based so it will compress slightly where steel shot will not.
Cat
Old 11-01-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I called Stoeger to ask if there is a difference between tungsten lead and steel and they said yes it is in a catagory by itself. They said that improved modified is the tightest to go with tungsten and the box of ammo says to use Imp cyl. or Modified.

I asked les and he said the versatite wad does the work but you need to pattern your shotgun. He said he used a modified on his last 2 doubles. The m3500 comes with 4 chokes but not the Imp. Mod....I might have to get the Imp. Modified just to see.
So I got the Imp. Cylinder (*****) for my Stoeger and it actually Pattern the Hornady Nickel plated BB Coyote load reasonably well (especially at 8 yards lol)Think I'll try the pair on my next hunt.👍 Used the Black cloud BB with flex wad last time with the pattern Master anaconda choke and not the quick kill I was hoping for at close ranges. seems most of my patterns are to the left a bit so some of the disappointment could have been my shooting. 😦
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4617.jpg (37.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4620.jpg (36.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4618.jpg (33.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1564.jpg (18.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 11-01-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
So I got the Imp. Cylinder (*****) for my Stoeger and it actually Pattern the Hornady Nickel plated BB Coyote load reasonably well (especially at 8 yards lol)Think I'll try the pair on my next hunt.👍 Used the Black cloud BB with flex wad last time with the pattern Master anaconda choke and not the quick kill I was hoping for at close ranges. seems most of my patterns are to the left a bit so some of the disappointment could have been my shooting. 😦
that hornady bb is almost a bit much at 10 yards. shot one this last week with it. i just swung and shot as he ran past me at 11 yards. took me a second to realize why he was missing so many teeth when i went to pick him up

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 11-02-2017, 09:12 AM

Wasn't a big hole with the black cloud at 8 yards but after that target with the hornady at 8 yards I'm not quite sure how that's possible... then again missing at 8 yards, I didn't think that was possible either ....dang you yote fever!! Made things right with my second shot, but the Black Cloud jamed for my 3 Rd shot and I was robbed of a double at 12 yards. Gah!
Old 10-14-2018, 11:45 PM

So I’m getting excited for coyotes and shotguns and just picked up a Carlson’s Dead Coyote Choke. Hard to find bb or T in lead so I got some 2-3/4 federal#4 and some federal 3” 00 buck

If you want a challenge take out your shotgun and favorite coyote load BB, T, 00, or #4 buck and your favorite choke and lets see who can get a 30” or tighter group at the furthest distance. I hope to personally be able to achieve 30” at 50yards but haven’t got there yet.

Some choke companies say there good out to 60 or 70 yards but I think that might be a little far fetched. I also want to do some redneck penetration tests with a few different rounds and 50 yards and see what comes out on top.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:52 PM

For many years I figured you needed a shotgun or centrefire for coyotes, until I met some of the men from a Hutterite colony near a relatives farm in S. Saskatchewan.
They’ve always had coyote problems in the area; I’ve spent many days, and shot many Yotes, on my relatives place. For whatever reason, they have largely lost their fear of people. Cautious, sure, but much more willing to come right onto the yard.
The guys from the colony use .22LR or .17HMR almost exclusively on coyotes, with the preferred round the .17
I’d have never believed how well they will punch down a dog at 100 yds. These guys skin and sell the hides, so holes are an issue. They have a few of those bolt action Savages in .17HMR and several of them are deadly with it. The guns are sub MOA at 100yds, and they try for an eye or the inside of an ear; apparently the round will usually blow up and stay in the head, so only one really small entry hole.
I’ve watched them drop dogs at 100+yds and they go down without even a twitch...
I’ve never taken a coyote with a rimfire rd. .... or with a shotgun. .223 for some, .357mag for many more, & 9mm for a good number. I’ve blown out hides with the .223 and .357, not with the 9mm. I know a lot of people use a shotgun, but personally if I’m close enough for a shotgun, I can get it done with other, smaller rounds
Old 10-16-2018, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yycadm View Post
For many years I figured you needed a shotgun or centrefire for coyotes, .......I know a lot of people use a shotgun, but personally if I’m close enough for a shotgun, I can get it done with other, smaller rounds
I agree and recently bought a 17wsm. A local trapper was using the 17hmr but since he switched to the 17wsm he really likes it. If the coyotes are
Coming in my yard either the 17 or .204 which ever is closer. But when your calling and 2-4 come at you at a time at 10-30 yards...trust me you will understand why a semi shotgun is nice. Then I can still try to howl to stop the runners at further distances getting easily 2 and even 3 and 4 in 30-60 seconds. Bush calling it is even more important.

Fast forward video below to 1:45

https://youtu.be/dXXeEfUrvxg
Old 10-17-2018, 08:45 AM

Here are a few results with the new Carlson Dead Coyote and Pattern Master Anaconda as well as a turkey choke and a cylinder choke. All shots taken at 50 yards. Plan to do more this weekend.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:32 AM

Bought a older eotech and put It on my Stoeger m3500. Took it out for a test drive and on my first stand of the year got a 23 yrd chip shot. I snuck into the stand and it must have only been 50-75 yards away. Just before I started the caller it howled and 60 seconds after I hit the call button ...boom. Love the new addition. Gets as bright or dim as I would ever need. Gonna try it on some Skeets when I get a chance. Last year I was so excited with my first yote I had ever shot with a shot gun that I shot under it at 8 yards.🤦*♂️ (Didn’t even know that was possible) I think this will help cure the yote fever.

(Sorry the pic is upside down. There not like that on my phone)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A76211CB-1F0A-4C16-88B6-8430521CDF42.jpg (19.5 KB, 10 views)