Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
And again, not a single answer why a conservation closure for all user groups from April 1 - May 15 would NOT be a benefit to walleye populations, which in turn, means more walleye for all user groups.

Didn't the SCC say that Conservation comes before Treaty?

If you do not like the answer, then change the question, is that the Government's approach?

Drewski
And like all rights, limits and conditions can be imposed for theirs and all of societies longer term benefit.
N
We have the right of freedom of association.....unless that association is with a criminal gang.
We have freedom of religion....unless that religion violates the law....ie killing all non-believers.

The point is there are LIMITS on rights.

No where, when these rights were agreed to, was the concept of how effective or efficient future tech was going to be. Power boats, sonar, siene nets, poly ropes, trucks to hauls all this.

We (who don’t have theses historical rights) also have limits on the gear we can use....barbless hooks, no netting, no bait on some lakes, etc

So it makes no sense why the current approach is to not stick to the intent of the agreement as it was envisioned back when agreed to. Only birchbark canoes, hand made nets, and carry or drag your gear from your home and the same goes for what you catch. Sure would limit the 3/4 ton box filled with hauled away by each one.

Also, I like a $10,000 per fish fine for anyone caught buying a fish from these rights holders. If we can’t regulate the rights holders, we sure can regulate those that help propagate/ exasperate the problem.

At least kill the financial incentives.....and make some program funding.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:47 PM

Default Winddrift, why do you believe there is a netting closure????

Winddrift,

You seem to believe there is a closure on netting in the critical spawning season that the Sport Anglers have to abide by.

Why do you believe that? I seem non stop netting right in front of my Cabin at Calling Lake, April 1 forward. It does go on by so called non regulated parties.

The Banking analogy is letting the "term deposit" mature. You see, if the eggs are laid and fertilized first, and then the fish is caught, there would be another batch of fingerlings to replace the fish that is later taken. NOT SO IF IT DIES BEFOREHAND.

The Poster Ghosts from Fisheries threw up a test balloon. I took the opportunity to say as a Walleye regulation, which includes Treaty fishers, that we should close the spawning period for netting.

TOTAL CRICKETS FROM THEM!!!!

Yet they know they can do a conservation closure. That is what they did at Lac La Biche already around the river!!

So now do you get it?

Drewski
Old 09-17-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchthefisher View Post
3 walleye between 15-20" in the north sask.. it is ridiculous how many are in that river, literally have days where a guy goes through 6-10 tubs of minnows on dinky 15" walleye makes no sense that a guy cannot keep even one.
you just have to go fishing a little further up the river...From the regs....

Under ES2 regs you can keep 3 walleye over 50cm and 3 pike no size limit from the NSR between the bighorn dam and the Drayton Valley hwy 39 bridge. Season closes Oct. 31.

Read about the PP2 regs about the NSR tributaries too. You may realize some potential catch and keep fishing closer than you think.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-09-2018, 11:24 PM
Banned

It would all depend on the lake. It would definitely help to have a 1 per day over 18-24 inch limit for a couple years at pigeon lake, because it would reduce stunting and give the remaining walleye some more food. After the 0 limit is reinstated, we could actually have better odds of catching some really heavy walleye.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:19 AM

And still no reply from wind drift, and still NO REPLY from the Policy Makers at SRD or whatever you call yourself these days!

You will brush this off and ignore the public opinion on the future walleye conservation regulations that can be imposed on non regulated users, while failing to do something that would even benefit the first nations and metis netters.

This is what I hate about the leadership of this department. You are a bunch of sheep who refuse to do the hard thing, that even you know is needed to be done.

You know that every spawning female replaces herself at least 5 - 20 times when she spawns. Yes some years the hatch is poor, and some years its incredible. Not so when the fish is killed before spawning in some non regulated net!

No non regulated group ever challenged the conservation closure on Lac La Biche for what is expected to be the major spawning river. Why do you think they would do any different for an April 1 May 15 netting closure?

Do your consultation and publish the responses. Do Town Hall meetings on a Friday evening at 6 PM like you have done in the past in Lac La Biche! See what the non regulated consultation response is. Maybe they will even support this!

Drewski
Old 10-14-2018, 10:39 PM

If I could make the walleye regs I'd have a few lakes, including a few of the big lakes, with zero retention limits so the walleye population is protected in these lakes. On most lakes, including most of the big lakes, I'd raise the walleye limits to one or two walleye per day. I realize this would crash the walleye numbers, but that's okay. On a lake like Sylvan, there used to be a good perch fishery until about 10 years ago. Now the perch have crashed and the lake is full of stunted walleye. I think the pike can keep the perch population under control on their own, but add in walleye and there's too many predators (pike and walleye) after too few perch. Need to get one group of predators reduced, and I vote to reduce the walleye.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:25 AM

Old 10-15-2018, 08:13 AM

I've heard the populations are on the rebound for the most part due to the tag system. I'm sure it differs from fishery to fishery, but fishing is really picking up on some lakes from what I hear. Trust me I like to complain just as much as the next guy but I know these things take time to pan out if they are going to succeed. I'm sure not every lake will benefit equally, if at all but some will and some already have. I vote let this play out, the future of these fisheries are vastly more important than anyones desire to retain fish that goes for all fisheries in the world actually 😉
Old 10-15-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
If I could make the walleye regs I'd have a few lakes, including a few of the big lakes, with zero retention limits so the walleye population is protected in these lakes. On most lakes, including most of the big lakes, I'd raise the walleye limits to one or two walleye per day. I realize this would crash the walleye numbers, but that's okay. On a lake like Sylvan, there used to be a good perch fishery until about 10 years ago. Now the perch have crashed and the lake is full of stunted walleye. I think the pike can keep the perch population under control on their own, but add in walleye and there's too many predators (pike and walleye) after too few perch. Need to get one group of predators reduced, and I vote to reduce the walleye.
I agree. Leave few most popular lakes ( for example Pigeon, Gull, Sylvan, Crawling Valley and McGregor at zero for catch and release fans to enjoy catching 40-50 walleye a day and make others with 3 over 50 cm like in the rivers.