Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-11-2018, 10:34 AM

Default WMU 526 cow elk help please

Good morning guys,
We are a party of two hunting for cow elk. We have some permission on some property and have covered just about every square inch yesterday and this morning and finding no sign of elk. The elk are just not in this area. Any help getting our elk tags filled would greatly appreciated. We like beer and we love sharing it!!
Old 11-11-2018, 02:29 PM

Talked to a fellow the other evening just before dark as he got back to his truck. He was telling me there were no elk in that area as he had been all through it and saw nothing. I was grinning I can tell you when I told him to look over his left shoulder. You know what word he said when he turned to see a cow and calf strolling along in the open about 200 yds away.
Good luck with your hunt and I wish I could help but we isn't in that wmu.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:39 PM
Gone Hunting

I'm not seeing Elk either. And it's not because there are no Elk where I'm hunting. I've seen hundreds in the area over the years.

I believe the weather is the problem, they just aren't moving yet.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-12-2018, 02:13 PM

My hunting partner and I pulled two cow elk out of 526 last year around the same time in November. We hunted 5 full days before seeing the first set of tracks.

I’m a couple days late seeing this thread but if you’re still looking PM me and I can send you a screen shot of the area on a map.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:19 PM

I just got home from a successful elk hunt. All I can offer is get behind your binos and glass and glass...then glass more. Sometimes they are right in front of you but you can't see them
Old 11-13-2018, 10:13 AM

My farmer relatives are always over run with elk in WMU 526. Just hunt hard and cover lots of country for starters.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:20 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
My farmer relatives are always over run with elk in WMU 526. Just hunt hard and cover lots of country for starters.
I have a copy of a survey done on behalf of F&W that shows 526 has the highest population of Elk in the province and the lowest population of Wolves in the Peace district.

For some, the cost of fuel reduces the range of hunting opportunities.
Being a pensioner, I can't afford to cover much of the country.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-13-2018, 03:26 PM

Elk on my place in 526 but have a friend thats going to hunt it.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:02 PM

Well thanks guys. Assuming we are not using Bino’s and/or covering ground is pretty much what I was expecting for a majority of the replies. Which is fine. Our biggest issue was limited permission and knowledge of the area itself. First time hunting this zone and only had 1 rancher connection with not much land to hunt. There are at times elk on his property, but can assure you there were exactly 0 elk there while we were hunting it. We knew of elk on the surrounding property to our west. We basically just hoped and watched (with binos) that the hunters there would push them our way. They did the opposite. I’m positive as we spend more time in the area, we will make more connections and get more permission. I was only trying to establish some connections with this post. There are Ranchers in that area that have a legitimate elk issue and we have an empty freezer issue. Thought perhaps we could help one another. So thanks again to those who are interested in helping. I’m very appreciative for it.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:34 PM

I sent you a PM with directions on where we got our two cows last year.

We didn’t have any issues getting permission on any of the grazing leases we called on. Most the lease holders seemed quite happy that we even bothered to call so I kind of get the feeling most people don’t. Those calls also opened up some private land to hunt on but ultimately we got both elk on one grazing lease.

We had a bit of a hard time getting permission on a few prime private lands in one particular area and one farmer/rancher finally let the cat out of the bag and told us that an outfitter had most of the parcels around his area tied up and that no one would be getting permission to hunt them except him. I don’t know the particulars of what that outfitter did to gain exclusive rights but it may be as simple as him living in the area and helping the farmers/ranchers out throughout the rest of the year.

I had my doubts there were any elk in the country after not seeing a track for 5 days but once we figured out where they were things came together pretty quick.

Last edited by Positrac; 11-15-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I sent you a PM with directions on where we got our two cows last year.

We didn’t have any issues getting permission on any of the grazing leases we called on. Most the lease holders seemed quite happy that we even bothered to call so I kind of get the feeling most people don’t. Those calls also opened up some private land to hunt on but ultimately we got both elk on one grazing lease.

We had a bit of a hard time getting permission on a few prime private lands in one particular area and one farmer/rancher finally let the cat out of the bag and told us that an outfitter had most of the parcels around his area tied up and that no one would be getting permission to hunt them except him. I don’t know the particulars of what that outfitter did to gain exclusive rights but it may be as simple as him living in the area and helping the farmers/ranchers out throughout the rest of the year.

I had my doubts there were any elk in the country after not seeing a track for 5 days but once we figured out where they were things came together pretty quick.
Thanks so much my friend. I knew the post would get some flack obviously, but also knew there is always going to be some generous people who had some useful information. Kill an elk or not, the beer is on me!! PM sent back