Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-07-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100winger View Post
I still have a partial box of CPE in .311 on the shelf, rifle has long gone. Nostalgic. For my 300 WM, I still hoard a collection of Barnes originals in 180 and 250 gr. They still work well.
Did you ever kill anything with the CPE’s ?
How did they work?
Cat
Old 11-07-2018, 01:38 PM

I know I bought pretty much nothing but CIL ammo as long as I can remember til they shut down, although during the 80's about all I used it for was shotgun and .22. I bought 3 cases of Imperial hollowpoint .22 from Ribtor when CIL shut down. Kept buying it at gun shows over the years, getting thinned out now though.
I do remember thinking when Nosler came out with the ballistic tip it was just a new version of the CIL Sabre tip. And now it is "the rage" , but, at least for practical reasons.
I found my 30R likes round nose bullets, bought up what i could for 180 Hornady's and Sierra's thru the shortages over the last few yrs. And I like the look of that loaded ammo with those bullets. They'll do what I need done with that gun.. All said and done, these days I could likely get it done with cast bullets in that gun, but, I don't feel like casting for it. It's just a bigger 30-30. Next load to try out will be 170gr flatnose Partitions. I got a deal I couldn't resist on them.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:17 PM

IIRC Dave there was a lawsuit against Nosler involving the Ballistic Tip and the Sabre Tip
Cat
Old 11-07-2018, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geriatric View Post
I never throw anything out (according to my wife) and this is from the mid-1960s but is not dated on the C-I-L information pamphlet.
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

By the 1988 dated pamphlet C-I-L had morphed into iVi Imperial, and some of their bullets had been dropped from production.
[IMG][/IMG]

About 30 years ago a buddy and I split a purchase of 1,000 .308 180gr. surplus Sabretips from I think Higginson's in Ontario, via an ad. in Canadian Access to firearms, but sadly they are all long gone now. They were super accurate in my 30-06.

I did however just dig out 25 pieces of .308 180gr. CPE's that I found in my bitsa-box, along with 2 pieces of .311 215gr. KKSP's.

Memories.
About the time that those CIL catalogues came out my father shot a moose at 600 yards with a 180 PPP from a 30-06 BSA with iron sights.. I found the bullet under the hide on the far side and it looked just the picture of the mushroomed PPP in the Catalogue. I shot factory 130 grain PPP's in my 270 BSA and did not recover the bullet from a moose shot in the exact same place but I had a scope.

This brings back a lot of memories as I shot my first moose with that old 30-06 BSA when I was about 14 years old. It was just like the one in this picture.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-08-2018, 08:51 AM

Cat...I think I am going to clean up my reloading room shelves and I found some CIL/Imperial product. It is in .308 and .303 and has markings of 150 grain and 180 grain and KKSP and ST. These are from my fathers place and mine and are from guns I no longer reload for.

If you want them, PM me your mailing address.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Cat...I think I am going to clean up my reloading room shelves and I found some CIL/Imperial product. It is in .308 and .303 and has markings of 150 grain and 180 grain and KKSP and ST. These are from my fathers place and mine and are from guns I no longer reload for.

If you want them, PM me your mailing address.
Thanks so much, I most certainly will put them to good use!
Cat
Old 11-16-2018, 05:57 AM

What a great thread I stumbled on over coffee this morning !!!!!!
CAT...KOOL PICS !!! You're jogging the old grey matter this morning.. Happy, happy, happy times, Thank YOU !

My first 4 deer fell with my dads old 30-30...using the old Imperial yellow tipped 150/170 gr bullets...IIRC..the yellow / blue color told the bullets grain weight (??)
I still have his old rifle, with 4 notches in the stock, to be passed down to my son ( I watched too many westerns then...heh heh heh still do...lmao)
I then graduated to a 303...bullet of choice-- "Saber Tips"...that one accounted for the next 3 deer in my life...using the "dreaded Saber Tips" The old guys said I needed a "bigger gun"..I was a good shot and they wanted me to hunt the fields...I obliged.

I remember back in that 70's period some of my mentors that were using the Saber Tipped bullets in their Remi-Semi jam jams! They used to CUT the tips off them !!
They claimed they would poke thru and not mushroom properly...I went against the grain when I opted to leave them on
I never lost any deer with them...while others with cut off tips did. I can only imagine what their groups would have looked like on paper back then...lol

Some guys swore by those old KKSP's ! The proof was always in their freezers and corned meat buckets put down for the winters !!

Then up next for me was a Win 70 in 30-06...again Saber Tips for a few years...then Silver Tips. Never looked back...always had a special tip of one kind or another to load in my cases.

I was the newbie and the only ballistics nerd at that time, who wanted to get into reloading. Back then, reading the hunting and gun magazines sealed the reloading deal for me. I did so in earnest a short time later.
Almost all my stuff came from Barrotto Sports back in the day...still using it today !!!
....So Glad I did.
Been a Nylon, Silver and Nosler Ballistic tip fan ever since !
I just went thru my first 6 hunting seasons with only 2 cups of black coffee!
THANKS AGAIN CAT !!!
Old 11-16-2018, 08:08 AM
Gone Hunting

Gee I feel kinda outa place in this conversation.

Only one old bullet on my shelves, I do have some old loaded cartridges that may be a bit older.

I haven't gone through them recently but I know that some are marked Dominion and others Dominion Cartridge Company.
I think they are from the 40s and 50s.

Most are PSP and some are Nylon Point PSP. Not sure what the factory called them.
I'd have to do a count to give an accurate number but as I recall I have about twenty 308 WCF and half a dozen Dominion .303s

George Bernard Shaw