Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-01-2018, 11:26 AM

Default jiffy blade replace or sharpen?

so my old jiffy runs like a top...carb was redone like 3 years ago.....but the blades have not been replaced or sharpened for ...id say....over 20 years.

i live in calgary and was wondering....should i just buy some new ones or is there a place in calgary that will sharpen mine?

mine has only 1 blade....but it looks like they come in packs of 2??? is that correct?

if i buy new ones is there a trick to replacing them?

tnx for any info

happy
Old 11-01-2018, 12:03 PM

It depends on whether or not you can find someone who can reliably sharpen them for a good price.

If I were you, I'd buy a new pair, and get the old ones sharpened. That way you have two sets in case one set becomes damaged, lost, etc.

All I can say is don't try sharpening them yourself. Did that once... whoops
Old 11-01-2018, 01:31 PM

Jiffy blade can be sharpened, but only from the top side down, and out to the end, if that makes any sense. Keep the angle the same, and DO LEAVE the Burr from the grinder, that is what engages the ice.

But yes, pick up a second set while you learn how to sharpen power auger blades. That way if you make a mistake, the trip is not lost.

Make sure you have an extra set of bolts and the right size tool to do the changes on the ice.

Drewski
Old 11-01-2018, 02:33 PM

I have touched up my blade at the start of every year and I keep a small file in the ice fishing tackle box for out on the ice. I'm sure a new blade would chew through faster but I can't say I have any complaints with how my sharpened blade cuts.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:56 PM

Blades aren't very expensive - I always just ditch the old blades and buy a new set.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:55 PM

Grab one of these, and take your time to sharpen. Works well on serrated blades.
https://www.amazon.ca/Smartcoco-Diam...fish+hook+file
Old 11-01-2018, 07:01 PM

If you have easy access to new blades just get them. My Strikemaster 8 1/4” single chipper blades are getting tough to find so I have had to order them from the US the last couple times so I had a couple sets resharpened. One was good, the other not.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-02-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedmon View Post
Blades aren't very expensive - I always just ditch the old blades and buy a new set.
2x
Old 11-02-2018, 08:38 AM

Default Sharpening

try the sharpening shop in Bowness he does a good job
Old 11-02-2018, 11:04 AM

I sharpen my Jiffy ripper blades with my lansky sharpener. Just keep the stone at the same angle as the bevel, works like a charm.

At $50 for a pair of replacement blades, I'll sharpen my own and use that $50 elsewhere. Takes 10 minutes
Old 11-02-2018, 11:28 AM

Just take them and get them sharpened. 1 or 12 bucks and they are like new. Get an extra one too in ocase it hits ground or something. Then quick change and carry on. There are a few good shops depending what side of town you are on may be more convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
so my old jiffy runs like a top...carb was redone like 3 years ago.....but the blades have not been replaced or sharpened for ...id say....over 20 years.

i live in calgary and was wondering....should i just buy some new ones or is there a place in calgary that will sharpen mine?

mine has only 1 blade....but it looks like they come in packs of 2??? is that correct?

tnx for any info

happy
Old 11-02-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
I sharpen my Jiffy ripper blades with my lansky sharpener. Just keep the stone at the same angle as the bevel, works like a charm.

At $50 for a pair of replacement blades, I'll sharpen my own and use that $50 elsewhere. Takes 10 minutes
If you don't do it properly, it's a disaster. Good to have an extra set of blades.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:46 PM

Carbide Saw in Bowness is the guy. Has been sharpening mine for years.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:37 PM

I take my blades to western saw in the ne, was like 12 bucks..
Old 11-04-2018, 07:32 PM

i ended up just buying a new blade.....45 bucks.....then ill just get the other one sharpened just in case.....

but now i know bowness is the place to take my second blade!!!

tnx
all
Old 11-05-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post

tnx for any info

happy
If you are in the South, Foothills sharpening just before Okotoks is my go to guy for all my blades and knives.....
Old 11-05-2018, 03:13 PM

kool!!! thats closer to me!!!!

tnx

happy
Old 11-09-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
If you are in the South, Foothills sharpening just before Okotoks is my go to guy for all my blades and knives.....
he has moved down by Home Hardware a few months ago
Old 11-10-2018, 07:27 AM

Default This is how I do it

Take your jiffy ripper blade off the auger put 2 one inch by 1/4 bolts through the blade holes bolt heads on the blade side. Hold them in there with a couple of nuts from the other side now gently put the threaded portion that is sticking out in a bench vise so now shiny side of the cutting surface is facing up. Take a black marker and colour the shiny metal. Now take a 1 inch flat file and push from the cutting edge back after one pass check that you are rubbing off all the black marker if not correct your file angle. Should only take a few swipes and good as new, try and hit all the teeth in each pass. You can re apply the marker every swipe if you wish.
I have a jiffy 9” auger I bought years ago and is hard to find blades for and this is how I sharpen mine, only works with the single jiffy ripper blades. Take a pic of how the blade is mounted before you remove it from the auger if this is the first time so you get it back on the proper side of the metal plate.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold lake guy View Post
Take your jiffy ripper blade off the auger put 2 one inch by 1/4 bolts through the blade holes bolt heads on the blade side. Hold them in there with a couple of nuts from the other side now gently put the threaded portion that is sticking out in a bench vise so now shiny side of the cutting surface is facing up. Take a black marker and colour the shiny metal. Now take a 1 inch flat file and push from the cutting edge back after one pass check that you are rubbing off all the black marker if not correct your file angle. Should only take a few swipes and good as new, try and hit all the teeth in each pass. You can re apply the marker every swipe if you wish.
I have a jiffy 9” auger I bought years ago and is hard to find blades for and this is how I sharpen mine, only works with the single jiffy ripper blades. Take a pic of how the blade is mounted before you remove it from the auger if this is the first time so you get it back on the proper side of the metal plate.
Good advice, the Jiffy tooth blades are among the easiest to sharpen. Two minutes with a file and done.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-10-2018, 02:02 PM

tnx...but i have no idea how to sharpen a blade...LOL......i read it and still dont u derstand....but my reading omprehension is at about a grade 3 level....LOL

happy
Old 11-11-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairycanary View Post
he has moved down by Home Hardware a few months ago
Thanks for the heads up