Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-30-2018, 07:45 PM

Last year I saw a grizzly right off of the 520 on a south facing slope eating away.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:51 PM
Banned

Just nortwest from forestry.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:00 PM

Grizz has been around since September. Last year there was a sow with cubs around as well
Old 10-30-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
Which part was the grizz in?
I’d generally assume they are pretty well everywhere down there, that area keeps on getting more and more griz every year
Old 10-30-2018, 09:15 PM

Default Grizzly

Guy I was hunting with had a grizz run within 75 yards of him before he shooed it away, it also had two cubs, later I saw the three and then he saw them again at 400 yards when the bear stood up and looked at him before moving on again. Pretty unnerving!
Old 11-06-2018, 10:10 PM

this article is from the claresholm newspaper on oct. 24, 2018. so there is atleast a few bears in the area. i ran into one of them during bow season.

Bears becoming a concern in Porcupine Hills

By Lawrence Gleason
Local Press Writer
Grizzly bears are becoming a live- stock threat in the Porcupine Hills and Livingstone Range.
Municipal District of Willow Creek Division 4 Councillor Glen Alm described the problem at the Oct. 10 Agricultural Service Board (ASB) meeting.
“There have been eight confirmed kills of cattle since the middle of August with five or six more miss
ing,” Alm said.
Two sow grizzlies, one with three
cubs and one with two cubs are suspected of killing cattle in that ranching area.
Alm told ASB members that meant the cubs are being trained to take cattle.
“We could have seven bears looking at livestock for their meal,” Alm told ASB members, adding, “The problem has grown exponentially in the last few years.”
Old 11-06-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge View Post
this article is from the claresholm newspaper on oct. 24, 2018. so there is atleast a few bears in the area. i ran into one of them during bow season.

Bears becoming a concern in Porcupine Hills

By Lawrence Gleason
Local Press Writer
Grizzly bears are becoming a live- stock threat in the Porcupine Hills and Livingstone Range.
Municipal District of Willow Creek Division 4 Councillor Glen Alm described the problem at the Oct. 10 Agricultural Service Board (ASB) meeting.
“There have been eight confirmed kills of cattle since the middle of August with five or six more miss
ing,” Alm said.
Two sow grizzlies, one with three
cubs and one with two cubs are suspected of killing cattle in that ranching area.
Alm told ASB members that meant the cubs are being trained to take cattle.
“We could have seven bears looking at livestock for their meal,” Alm told ASB members, adding, “The problem has grown exponentially in the last few years.”
The grizz I saw wasn't to far from the ranch there. Something needs to be done.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:13 AM

maybe shut down that hot dog stand
Old 11-07-2018, 08:40 AM

Every post turns into worry about bears. Spray or shotgun blasts? I say ignore the bears and go about your hunting or hiking as usual. I seen two grizz there last fall. I still go back. If we dont like bears maybe the woods isnt the place for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 View Post
Every post turns into worry about bears. Spray or shotgun blasts? I say ignore the bears and go about your hunting or hiking as usual. I seen two grizz there last fall. I still go back. If we dont like bears maybe the woods isnt the place for us.

When they are killing large numbers of deer, elk, cattle there should be a worry. It's not about being afraid of them.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:12 PM

Porkies crazy busy rememberance weekend, more hunters than deer. Convoys of 3-6 vehicles of road hunters common.. F&W busy out there with check stops and regular checks. They are handing out lots of tickets for loaded guns in vehicles- really?. So since they changed the ohv to designated trails only, people still quadding wherever.. oh - the ndp- no ohv except designated trails is not working well - since they didn’t bother to sign the designated trails. Trail maps are being torn off the info boards. Was told by f&w if you can’t determine the designated trails that are not signed then better off not to use your ohv. Overall with the changes and crazy opening day amount of hunters I was disappointed.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDawg View Post
When they are killing large numbers of deer, elk, cattle there should be a worry. It's not about being afraid of them.
In regards to cattle yes ... deer and elk, grizzly has as much “right” to them as we do, maybe more so ... we do have the cattle
Old 11-12-2018, 10:05 PM

Wolves coyotes bears use way more of an animal that they kill then we do. Imagine what would happen if everyone who bought a license all were successful in one season there would be no game left to hunt. Im not sure why there is such a hate for predators when we are selves are predators. Except most of us are not hunting for survival. A bear wolf etc hunt to live and are not doing it for “sport”. I wouldnt call hunting a sport unless the deer and elk had guns

Old 11-13-2018, 11:10 AM

How's it looking for late season elk there?
Any sign?
Old 11-13-2018, 03:08 PM
Banned

I spent entire monday glassing north west porkies. Lots of road hunters, had to walk in a fair bit to get away. Ground is like bubble wrap with recent snow, afternoon it turned into sludge and wasnt much fun walking down or up the hill. Saw 7 moose, bunch of wt, one lonely mule buck and two sets of wolf tracks going right through my honeyhole. Not much for elk signs, didn't spot a single one for the whole day.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
I spent entire monday glassing north west porkies. Lots of road hunters, had to walk in a fair bit to get away. Ground is like bubble wrap with recent snow, afternoon it turned into sludge and wasnt much fun walking down or up the hill. Saw 7 moose, bunch of wt, one lonely mule buck and two sets of wolf tracks going right through my honeyhole. Not much for elk signs, didn't spot a single one for the whole day.
I was in "your Honeyhole" again today. looks like they(wolves) were there feeding on a deer gut pile from the weekend up near the fence. like you I saw lots of moose and the odd wt but no mulies....which I have a buck tag for d'Oh

looks like some winners didn't like Ostridges' fence @ their coral. Cut both poles and cut the wire.....and people wonder why some ranchers hate "Hunters"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gate.jpg (75.5 KB, 487 views)
Old 11-13-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil69 View Post
I was in "your Honeyhole" again today. looks like they(wolves) were there feeding on a deer gut pile from the weekend up near the fence. like you I saw lots of moose and the odd wt but no mulies....which I have a buck tag for d'Oh

looks like some winners didn't like Ostridges' fence @ their coral. Cut both poles and cut the wire.....and people wonder why some ranchers hate "Hunters"
That’s just ignorant
Old 11-13-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil69 View Post

Absolutely pathetic. Some people need a good old fashioned beating.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:35 PM

Default Ridiculous

Been a zoo trespassing ,crazy amounts of road hunting. First year I have had my stuff touched , My wife and daughters blind with the heater chairs stolen ( was locked with a cable lock ) a locked camera A card taken from from another camera when the hunter took a deer from one of my stands. Truth is I don’t care if someone uses the stuff if where not there . But come on people 20 years with great relationships with respect to ranchers being destroyed by a few idiots that think they have the right to do whatever they want. I have had 2 ranches in 2 years close there lands .
Old 11-14-2018, 01:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
Absolutely pathetic. Some people need a good old fashioned beating.
You’ve spent time with me here. You’ve seen first hand and heard what we deal with.

I won’t bother with F&W anymore, they never show, ever. Beating sounds like the best option.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:31 AM
Banned

Things would get real ugly if those guys got caught. Landowners don't bother with f&w until dust settles.

I'm pretty sure i witnessed road hunters filling their suplemental wt tags. Way too far to do anything about it though.

One rancher shut his doors down, all the elk you could ever want on his land....don't blame him, but i do envy the guy
Old 11-14-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
Porkies crazy busy rememberance weekend, more hunters than deer. Convoys of 3-6 vehicles of road hunters common.. F&W busy out there with check stops and regular checks. They are handing out lots of tickets for loaded guns in vehicles- really?. So since they changed the ohv to designated trails only, people still quadding wherever.. oh - the ndp- no ohv except designated trails is not working well - since they didn’t bother to sign the designated trails. Trail maps are being torn off the info boards. Was told by f&w if you can’t determine the designated trails that are not signed then better off not to use your ohv. Overall with the changes and crazy opening day amount of hunters I was disappointed.
Sounds about right for that area as three quarters the population of Calgary travels south to hunt that region, apparently a very large geographical event has occurred that makes it impossible for that crew to hunt in their back yard. You made your bed........
Old 11-14-2018, 10:50 AM

People that trespass and damage property are criminals.

this will get worse going forward, and vigilante justice for law breakers is just around the corner. here's why.

say what you want about OHV use on public land. it did accomplish one thing. it dispersed alot of hunters out on quads to do their "hunting". they cant do that now. this wasn't phased in so they can adjust their hunting habits, the door was slammed shut without a reasonable solution(in my opinion). the result is really ****ed off hunters forced to hunt a smaller area because they cant reasonably access further public areas they could before.

and now CO's are tied up trying to enforce this, and have turned into meter maids issuing tickets when they should be dealing with more serious issues.

Why? because there is a anti OHV agenda with the current government.

careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
You’ve spent time with me here. You’ve seen first hand and heard what we deal with.

I won’t bother with F&W anymore, they never show, ever. Beating sounds like the best option.
Yup. It's extremely disappointing to see 'hunters' abuse land and landowners the way we've seen, especially in recent years. I'm obviously conflicted, but understand why, when landowners shut down access. It doesn't bode well for the future of hunting in Alberta.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
People that trespass and damage property are criminals.

this will get worse going forward, and vigilante justice for law breakers is just around the corner. here's why.

say what you want about OHV use on public land. it did accomplish one thing. it dispersed alot of hunters out on quads to do their "hunting". they cant do that now. this wasn't phased in so they can adjust their hunting habits, the door was slammed shut without a reasonable solution(in my opinion). the result is really ****ed off hunters forced to hunt a smaller area because they cant reasonably access further public areas they could before.

and now CO's are tied up trying to enforce this, and have turned into meter maids issuing tickets when they should be dealing with more serious issues.

Why? because there is a anti OHV agenda with the current government.

careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
Definitely understandable that some may be upset, but there is no excuse for anyone to disrespect others property because they are P****d!!
Old 11-14-2018, 06:39 PM

Problem is, not some are upset, pretty much everybody is.

The quad hunters are upset as they can't access the public areas they could before.

Walk in hunters are upset because now the quad hunters are road hunting and walking in where they only used to go.

The landowners are upset because conflicts are rising due to less people being able to access public areas, or tired of the crowds in the walk areas, so they are turning to private land.

CO's are upset as they have to be trafic cops vs stewards of wildlife.

Why? Because an agenda to shut down backcountry acccess to OHVs. Did they not see this coming? What did they think would happen, the hunters would turn around, go home, lock up their guns and never go out again?

Really, what did they think would happen?
Old 11-14-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:

The quad hunters are upset as they can't access the public areas they could before.

Walk in hunters are upset because now the quad hunters are road hunting and walking in where they only used to go.

The landowners are upset because conflicts are rising due to less people being able to access public areas, or tired of the crowds in the walk areas, so they are turning to private land.

Why? Because an agenda to shut down backcountry acccess to OHVs. Did they not see this coming? What did they think would happen, the hunters would turn around, go home, lock up their guns and never go out again?

Hey Joe, I’m not upset. Got a nice bull early in the season and it’s in the freezer. Helped a good friend get another bull out of the porkies a few days ago. He’s not upset. The two of us tugged it out to the road on foot WHOLE. No complaints. No fences cut. No vehicles needed. Just some gumption and patience. I’m happy to see more enforcement. Happy hunting.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:54 PM

Really. Got your bull early in porcupine hills?? Thought you had a 400 ish zone 6 point draw. Or did you get it in porcupine?

And “by foot”, you mean by your horses foot, right?

Happy for your buddy. Ok, guess one guy is not upset,,,,,,, and those guys with horses that have an advantage over others now.

Enjoy the rest of your season on horseback.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:00 PM

Default Nope.....

Quote:

I know quite a few guys that are finding their hunting experiences way better in the Porkies this year. You should try it.

Get out of truck. Put on boots. Put on backpack. Go find elk.

Shoot elk... yada yada.

Your post to justify quads is a bit of a stretch methinks.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-14-2018, 09:10 PM

Not a post to justify quads. Just my opinion on how things are shaking out.

If guys can’t go out on their quads(which a lot of guys do to get to area) where/what are they going to do? They will add pressure elsewhere, either where they used to quad by now road/foot hunting or in other areas where they still can.

Yes I use a quad for hunting. I use it to get my Camp into the bush and then use it to get to areas off of designated trails. I’ll. Never be ashamed of how I use it, or criticize how anyone chooses to use a quad in their hunting experience. Seems a lot of guys are ready to pounce on anybody who uses a quad when they hunt, like they aren’t real hunters.

And as far as putting boots on the ground, I can go toe to toe with anybody else who foot hunts the high country. Just need to ask the guys around me that camp and have seen me in action.