Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-10-2018, 12:40 PM

Default Deer heads

Wondering about this waiting disease and how long are guys waiting before they get the word weather or not they can eat their deer. I'm going out this weekend and curious to know how long I'll have to wait. And we take the head to fish and wildlife? Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2018, 03:51 PM

There's drop off locations with bins across the province, I believe there is some info in the regs. The deer head we submitted last fall for testing was dropped off at a CWD drop off bin in Edmonton the 1st week of December and we didn't get the results until the second week in February. Too long IMO.....
Old 09-10-2018, 05:27 PM

Default CWD testing

Based on the 2017 season, if you are dropping off prior to the November rush you should see results in about 2 weeks.

Phil
Old 09-10-2018, 07:09 PM

So did you wait till Feb to eat the meat?

Old 09-10-2018, 10:58 PM

Default Cwd

Everyone needs to make there own choice but based on the current info available I personally wouldn't eat the meat nor would I feed it to my family and friends until I received the test results.

Last year I had 2 deer tested and I waited for the results. In the end the Antlered Mule Deer I had tested positive and I discarded all the meat I had already cut, packaged and frozen.

Phil
Old 09-10-2018, 11:06 PM

How does all this head submission bizness work in regards to trophy heads,do you get your head back or is it ok to cape and cut antlers off prior to submitting the head?
Excuse my ignorance,but as per my forum handle,I don’t really(ever) hunt East O’5,Haha 😜
Old 09-11-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
How does all this head submission bizness work in regards to trophy heads,do you get your head back or is it ok to cape and cut antlers off prior to submitting the head?
Excuse my ignorance,but as per my forum handle,I don’t really(ever) hunt East O’5,Haha 😜
All they do is cut the base of the skull off where the first vertabrae attaches.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:34 AM

You do not get anything back
Old 09-11-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archery_nut View Post
So did you wait till Feb to eat the meat?

Yup, thankfully I harvested another deer in a non-CWD zone that we utilized until the results came back....
Old 09-11-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
All they do is cut the base of the skull off where the first vertabrae attaches.
Ok thanks,but is that done immediately at the drop off location,or do you leave the entire head and retrieve it at a later date if it’s to be mounted?
Old 09-11-2018, 09:36 AM

My taxidermist did it
Old 09-11-2018, 11:26 AM

Default CWD testing

You are able to cape the head and cutoff the skull plate. There are instructions available at the drop off freezer locations or at a F&W office.

Nothing you drop off is returned so ensure you remove the antlers before you drop them off, if you wish to keep them.

There have apparently been rare instances where people dropped off the entire head since they didn't want the antlers and someone else decided it was a nice rack and removed it from the freezer before it was collected by F&W and as a result there was no sample to be tested.

Personally I wouldn't leave the antlers intact when dropping off a head. Without antlers it takes up a lot less space in the freezers and F&W doesn't have to dispose of them.

Phil
Old 09-14-2018, 05:40 PM

You can cape it out and cut off the skull plate, and be sure to use a spoon and scoop the brain out that is left in the skull plate and put it with the skull for submitting. That's for a shoulder mount. I'm not sure how you would do it for a European

Old 09-14-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
You can cape it out and cut off the skull plate, and be sure to use a spoon and scoop the brain out that is left in the skull plate and put it with the skull for submitting. That's for a shoulder mount. I'm not sure how you would do it for a European

You don’t have to submit any of the brain matter, just the base of the skull is all that is needed.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:21 AM

Would you eat the meat before getting results back?
Old 11-12-2018, 08:48 PM

https://youtu.be/IxxTjaVS4v8

Found this video if guys are wanting to do European mounts and to get their deer tested for CWD. Hopefully the link works

Old 11-12-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Everyone needs to make there own choice but based on the current info available I personally wouldn't eat the meat nor would I feed it to my family and friends until I received the test results.

Last year I had 2 deer tested and I waited for the results. In the end the Antlered Mule Deer I had tested positive and I discarded all the meat I had already cut, packaged and frozen.

Phil
What were you advised to do with your knives and any other items exposed to the positive animal ?
Old 11-12-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
https://youtu.be/IxxTjaVS4v8

Found this video if guys are wanting to do European mounts and to get their deer tested for CWD. Hopefully the link works

This is fantastic! Last year I was trying to find something like this but couldn’t, and most videos sucked. Thank you very much.

This video should be on AEP website.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:47 PM

Default Gov site

This government site states that they don’t believe there are health effects of consuming the meat

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...Heads-2018.pdf

Still wouldn’t blame people for not taking a chance

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...g-disease.aspx