Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-13-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I have used , and seen used, a dozen or more Lee scales with no issues. Some people seem to have more issues with tools than others.
Some people simply can't be bothered to waste their time with sub standard equipment.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Very basic reloading equipment
Lee hand press 89$ from x reload
Lee pace setter dies 80$ per set
Lee trimmer 30$
Lee primer 40$
Electronic scale 60$

You could be set up for the two cartridges for less than 400$ buying used will bring that cost down a bit.

Make friends with someone who is set up and use their gear. I do this with a handful of guys..they bring their own dies and components and use my tools. The rule is you break something you replace it. Simple as that.
I started reloading with the Lee Hand Press, Lee press primer, Lee press trim die, Lee powder measures, Lee balance beam scale, Lee primer cleaner, and the Hornady dies. Was about $250 or so.

I initially went this way because it was cheap and I was intending to get a bench set when a great deal came up. Now I do not see upgrading anytime soon. If you are just reloading like me, 50 or so a month, it doesn't seem worth the storage space. I resize, trim, and primer while watching a movie in my living room. Whole kit fits in a 1500 pelican case. If I ever really get into shooting lots I have a killer range kit!

If you read reviews, this setup gets slammed for being slow... but honestly the only part that takes anytime at all is measuring out the powder. If I upgrade the first thing I will get is not a bench press, but a high end powder measure scale.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
I started reloading with the Lee Hand Press, Lee press primer, Lee press trim die, Lee powder measures, Lee balance beam scale, Lee primer cleaner, and the Hornady dies. Was about $250 or so.

I initially went this way because it was cheap and I was intending to get a bench set when a great deal came up. Now I do not see upgrading anytime soon. If you are just reloading like me, 50 or so a month, it doesn't seem worth the storage space. I resize, trim, and primer while watching a movie in my living room. Whole kit fits in a 1500 pelican case. If I ever really get into shooting lots I have a killer range kit!

If you read reviews, this setup gets slammed for being slow... but honestly the only part that takes anytime at all is measuring out the powder. If I upgrade the first thing I will get is not a bench press, but a high end powder measure scale.
It's possible to get them for less I just googled prices in canada for those items. Lots of them were Amazon listings. I use almost the exact items in my range loading kit. My bench loading equipment will out do my range kit about 4:1 for speed and is way easier on your hands when loading larger batches.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Some people simply can't be bothered to waste their time with sub standard equipment.
Some people by Barska scopes others buy Leupold/Sightron some buy Nightforce..... some up grade...some do not....some hit the target...others blame the rifle, the wind, the clouds...reloading equipment is the same. There is a reason a Mercedes cost more then a Kia
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
It's possible to get them for less I just googled prices in canada for those items. Lots of them were Amazon listings. I use almost the exact items in my range loading kit. My bench loading equipment will out do my range kit about 4:1 for speed and is way easier on your hands when loading larger batches.
That makes total sense. I am not the kinda guy that likes to sell stuff so it works for me to have an entry level set-up that will still have a place if/when I get to the level as you guys and search out a deal on a fancy turret press!
Old 11-14-2018, 06:13 AM

I still use a Lee Tong tool at the range when adjusting cartridge OAL at the range while working up loads .
I have also loaded very accurate Ammo (10 shots into 3/4”)with a Lee “ hit it with a hammer “ die, and the powder scoop available .
A Lee powder scoop set works super when used as nettuctrd and the chart is followed .

My two scales I use are about 55-60 years old and are both accurate as are my two Lyman 55 measures .
Cat
Old 11-14-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Some people by Barska scopes others buy Leupold/Sightron some buy Nightforce..... some up grade...some do not....some hit the target...others blame the rifle, the wind, the clouds...reloading equipment is the same. There is a reason a Mercedes cost more then a Kia
I good scale is not that expensive. I had a friend just buy a Redding beam scale like new but used for $35. And that wasn’t the only one we found around that price. I bought one new 20 years ago for $65 and it still looks new today after loading thousands of rounds. As a teenager I used the Lee scale. It still looks new as well. But that’s because I quit using the crappy thing.

I also use Lee products every time I reload so I’m not bashing them at all.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 11-14-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I good scale is not that expensive. I had a friend just buy a Redding beam scale like new but used for $35. And that wasn’t the only one we found around that price. I bought one new 20 years ago for $65 and it still looks new today after loading thousands of rounds. As a teenager I used the Lee scale. It still looks new as well. But that’s because I quit using the crappy thing.

I also use Lee products every time I reload so I’m not bashing them at all.
The scale is about the only Lee product II could never get my head around, especially after using my father's Redding!
Cat
Old 11-14-2018, 01:06 PM

No issues with most Lee products, they have some really good ideas. Maybe some of their stuff is a tad more labour intensive than others, some are far less. Some are designed for occasional usage and won't stand up to heavier usage, some will. Some will deliver the accuracy expected, some won't, that can be said for all the manufacturers, they all have their duds and bad production days.
I got fed up with an RCBS 505 scale and bought a Hornady many years ago. The Hornady dampened way better than the 505. I tossed a Hornady hand primer tool and one from RCBS, in the garbage, Lee worked better. Lee and Hornady have some tools with captive shellholders being required to use them. Other have versions that are restricted as to what cartridges can be worked on in them, others don't, if you want maximum versatility, you have to check that as well.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
That makes total sense. I am not the kinda guy that likes to sell stuff so it works for me to have an entry level set-up that will still have a place if/when I get to the level as you guys and search out a deal on a fancy turret press!
my main bench press is a rockchucker single stage. Unless I start shooting hand guns or an AR .223 it's plenty fast for my needs. I can load 150-200/hour standard hunting loads or 75-100/hour precision rounds with it. The press is usually not the slowest part of reloading. I find the rock chucker does save me time over the lee hand press simply because I don't have to set it down/ pick it up every time, and carefully hold it up right after throwing powder and seating bullets. I do have lee products and use them often. They are just usually not the fastest. I also had bad carpal tunnel in both hands and found the lee products ( length cutter,primer seater) hard on hands. Since surgery I've not found that to still be the case...but given the chance powered case prep centers, and powder scales are the way to go:-)
Old 11-14-2018, 02:54 PM

That is a great deal faster than my hand press. Have not timed it, but I think in practice it takes me a couple hours to load 50... but I am not really quick at doing anything and being new I am always double checking my powder amounts and the calibration of my scale. :-)
Old 11-14-2018, 06:39 PM

I started with the Lee Classic Loader and slowly added a scale worked great for a long time. I now have a set for every caliber that I have owned.I eventually gave in to I must have a press mind game in my head. I don't load a lot of rounds so I could have continued with the classic loader.
I think they are a great product!
Old 11-14-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
I started with the Lee Classic Loader and slowly added a scale worked great for a long time. I now have a set for every caliber that I have owned.I eventually gave in to I must have a press mind game in my head. I don't load a lot of rounds so I could have continued with the classic loader.
I think they are a great product!
The problem with those LEE leaders, is that they can't full length size. Once the shoulder moves a bit, the case get's difficult to chamber, and you can't push the shoulder back.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:41 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
The problem with those LEE leaders, is that they can't full length size. Once the shoulder moves a bit, the case get's difficult to chamber, and you can't push the shoulder back.
Have you ever heard of Lee Full Length resizing dies?

https://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/

I'm sure you have, and you will say they don't actually full length resize.

A lot better men then I would strongly disagree with that.

This is one of hundred of posts that dispute such claims.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...-ball.3894099/

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-14-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Have you ever heard of Lee Full Length resizing dies?

https://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/

I'm sure you have, and you will say they don't actually full length resize.

A lot better men then I would strongly disagree with that.

This is one of hundred of posts that dispute such claims.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...-ball.3894099/
Do you even know what a LEE Classic Loader is? It doesn't use a press, or FL dies. You use a hammer to drive a case into a special neck sizing die. If it FL sized you would have a very difficult time removing the case from the die. You might want to look up LEE Classic Loader, so you know what we are talking about, before making any more incorrect statements about this system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_zD6B6Ph60

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-14-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:46 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Do you even know what a LEE Classic Loader is? It doesn't use a press, or FL dies. You use a hammer to drive a case into a special neck sizing die. If it FL sized you would have a very difficult time removing the case from the die. You might want to look up LEE Classic Loader, so you know what we are talking about, before making any more incorrect statements about this system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_zD6B6Ph60

LOL I realized after I posted that you were probably talking about a Lee Classic hand press but by then I was on my way to town and couldn't correct my mistake.

Yes I know what a Lee Classic loader is, I do own one as I said, and you are right, they do not full length resize.

I guess what lead me to believe that you were talking about all Lee dies is that I don't know of anyone who has used a Lee Classic long enough for full length resizing to become an issue, but I certainly should have read your post more carefully. Reading it again, it is clear to me now that you were only referring Lee Classic dies.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-14-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
This ^^^^ I started out with a "Lee hit it with a mallet kit" in 6.5x55, years ago.....I wish they had the RCBS kit back then would have saved money, time and grief. Buy once cry once.
I loaded a lot of rounds with one of those when I first started (well, actually I used it for about 6 years). My first "upgrade" was one of these https://www.cabelas.ca/product/3555/...er-measure-kit
Old 11-15-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
LOL I realized after I posted that you were probably talking about a Lee Classic hand press but by then I was on my way to town and couldn't correct my mistake.

Yes I know what a Lee Classic loader is, I do own one as I said, and you are right, they do not full length resize.

I guess what lead me to believe that you were talking about all Lee dies is that I don't know of anyone who has used a Lee Classic long enough for full length resizing to become an issue, but I certainly should have read your post more carefully. Reading it again, it is clear to me now that you were only referring Lee Classic dies.
Depending on the load, you may need to bump the shoulder after two or three loadings, or your cases become too large to chamber. If you load very light loads, it may take much longer. As well, cases not fired in your rifle, usually require FL sizing, so you are pretty much limited to cases fired in your rifle. Regardless, that is the limitation that you accept when you load with the LEE Classic Loader. As well, it is a very slow process, compared to using other methods.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:43 AM

I realize the benefits of using my press now, but I still get real enjoyment and a nostalgic feeling when I do use the Lee Classic Loader.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:45 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Depending on the load, you may need to bump the shoulder after two or three loadings, or your cases become too large to chamber. If you load very light loads, it may take much longer. As well, cases not fired in your rifle, usually require FL sizing, so you are pretty much limited to cases fired in your rifle. Regardless, that is the limitation that you accept when you load with the LEE Classic Loader. As well, it is a very slow process, compared to using other methods.

Agreed, on all counts.

I would not recommend getting a Lee Classic set for any reason.

It worked for me, but in retrospect, a single station press with appropriate dies and a powder measure kit would have been a better investment. And not a lot more money. And could be resold.
A used Lee Classic is pretty much worthless.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-15-2018, 06:29 PM

Lee Classic Loader..Great item to throw in your bug out bag....as for long term use...not so much..

I bought a rockchucker press many rounds ago...Still tight and does it's job very well. If you were to figure out the cost per round of this $650 dollar press over the years...it would be pennies per round at best, probably fractions of pennies.

Reloading is a long term game, even a $1200 package over 20+ years would work out to be extremely inexpensive, about $5 bucks a month..most of us spend that on coffee at Timmies in a day.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:38 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Lee Classic Loader..Great item to throw in your bug out bag....as for long term use...not so much..

I bought a rockchucker press many rounds ago...Still tight and does it's job very well. If you were to figure out the cost per round of this $650 dollar press over the years...it would be pennies per round at best, probably fractions of pennies.

Reloading is a long term game, even a $1200 package over 20+ years would work out to be extremely inexpensive, about $5 bucks a month..most of us spend that on coffee at Timmies in a day.

Nothing wrong with buying quality equipment but price does not always equate to value.

I can't argue with your logic for an avid shooter that puts a couple hundred rounds down range each month, but for the average hunter I think a less expensive setup makes more sense.

As I said, I've loaded several hundred cases with my setup, perhaps close to a thousand. For a guy like me that's a lot of shooting. It took a lot of years to accumulate that number.

For a guy like me, a $65.00 Lee press makes more sense. I will never wear out the one I have nore will the relative I pass it on to.

I don't shoot competitively, I only target shoot to sight in a gun, and I only use my guns for hunting and varmint control.
I don't need sub MOA accuracy. I don't need to full length resize 50 cal. brass or swag bullets.
And the extra time it takes me to load the ammo I need as opposed to having the best equipment a dollar can buy amounts to one coffee break per year.

Yes, I also have a turret press. Bought when I was young and stupid.
It's really nice to have but not good value for my money, I don't use it enough for it to pay for itself.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-17-2018, 04:43 PM

My point is that $1200 bucks is not a lot of money...actually if you get serious about reloading it is a drop in the bucket.

Will a 50 dollar Lee wack it with a mallet give you loaded rounds? you bet....

Will a RCBS priming tool, prime cases just like a twenty first century tool costing 3 times as much....You bet.

Will a Hornady Bullet factory produce rounds just like a Dillon..yup

You can spend a little or a lot...Will you get better ammo from a $2000 outfit vs a $200 dollar rig? Well a lot depends on operator error...kinda like a computer garbage in garbage out ...

The fastest and most expensive race car in the world can only be driven to the capabilities of the driver.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:44 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Will a 50 dollar Lee wack it with a mallet give you loaded rounds? you bet....
Are you deliberately ignoring the fact that Lee produces a lot more then just the Lee Loader, or Lee wack it with a mallet as you call it?

They do in fact produce a very number of very competitive presses and a good selection of dies to go with them.

As for your $1,200.00 comment, to you maybe, to me and others it's more then a whole month's income. Or to put it another way, more then 10 percent of my yearly gross.

To me that is a substantial amount of money, for one part of a system.

Especially in light of the fact that I can buy a complete system for that amount of money.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-18-2018, 08:33 AM

I posted this awhile back. It caused a stroke or two, but is relevant.

I have been reloading for 30 plus years and as with anything you develop preferences or bias towards certain products. This is what I use and why. I have had both the Lee kit (bought when I was a teenager) and the Rock Chucker Kit. I still have bits and pieces of each, but not much is left from either. Now on to the nuts and bolts:

Forster Co-Ax press: A complete luxury, but I got tired of runout and I sold two presses to buy it. It is really nice to work with. I find adjustments to dies are more precise and also more repeatable. And given it's floating shell holder and die holder concentricity is improved.

Redding beam scale: When I bought it 15 or 20 years ago it was relatively inexpensive and I believe it still is. I sold my RCBS scale to buy it, but am not sure it was an upgrade. It is a bit smaller which I like, and both would be as accurate as needed.

RCBS powder measurer: This came with my RCBS kit and works well. I've thought about upgrading, but am not sure an improvement would be seen. For the cost to upgrade I'm not sure it is worth it.

Wilson case trimmer: I have used a few trimmers. Most lathe type trimmers have flex and do not trim as consistently as they should. The Wilson is an exception and can actually be bought relatively cheaply. You don't get the bells and whistles, but they are a luxury not a need. Trimmers that trim off the shoulder datum are also great, but you need consistent shoulders to get consistent trim length. The Lee case length gauges and their associated trimmer are an exceptional value. They are as consistent as anything I have used, but you are relegated to one length (not a big deal, but it is a consideration) unless you modify the stop with a file.

Area 419 aluminium powder funnel kit with drop tube: A luxury, but nice.

Sinclair concentricity gauge:$120 USD One of those things I'm glad I bought. Not free, but not extremely expensive either. I bought mine on sale and went with a dial and not digital to keep costs down.

Sinclair nut comparator: $20 USD A cheap simple way to keep track of COAL using the ogive.

Sinclair bump gauges: $15 plus $8 USD Not an expensive tool that really opens your eyes to where you are moving your brass. This step can be accomplished with "feel", but sometimes you are out in left field without knowing it.

Sinclair COAL tool: $35 USD A surprisingly simple and inexpensive tool that will also open your eyes to where the lands actually are.

Dial Calliper: Cheaper than a good digital one and kinda bomb proof.

Redding FL busing dies: I like the floating bushing, the ability to control neck tension, and to FL size my cases. I buy the sizing die alone to save cash

Forster seating dies: I like a sleeve when seating bullets. I have found that the seating process wreaks havoc on concentricity. I use the non micromoter dies to save dollars.

Machinist pin gauges: These are cheap, a few dollars each, and I use them to determine neck tension. I have found the conventional methods for this to be unreliable.

Sinclair expander mandrels: I find I need those or expander balls to iron out necks. A non necessity, but I think they are $80 a piece and the die body less than $40

Lee priming tools: I haven't found a priming tool with more value. It works great. I like the originals and wish I had five of them.

Lee "O" press for bullet pulling: A $40 press that works for this one job well.

This is why I think guys should think this through a bit. It would have been cheaper for me to gather these over a bit of time than to replace later.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-18-2018, 10:00 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

I can't imagine why anyone would have any issues with that post.
It's easily the best post of this thread and in my less then humble opinion, one of the bests posts ever.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-18-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:

I have been reloading for 30 plus years and as with anything you develop preferences or bias towards certain products. This is what I use and why. I have had both the Lee kit (bought when I was a teenager) and the Rock Chucker Kit. I still have bits and pieces of each, but not much is left from either. Now on to the nuts and bolts:

Forster Co-Ax press: A complete luxury, but I got tired of runout and I sold two presses to buy it. It is really nice to work with. I find adjustments to dies are more precise and also more repeatable. And given it's floating shell holder and die holder concentricity is improved.

Redding beam scale: When I bought it 15 or 20 years ago it was relatively inexpensive and I believe it still is. I sold my RCBS scale to buy it, but am not sure it was an upgrade. It is a bit smaller which I like, and both would be as accurate as needed.

RCBS powder measurer: This came with my RCBS kit and works well. I've thought about upgrading, but am not sure an improvement would be seen. For the cost to upgrade I'm not sure it is worth it.

Wilson case trimmer: I have used a few trimmers. Most lathe type trimmers have flex and do not trim as consistently as they should. The Wilson is an exception and can actually be bought relatively cheaply. You don't get the bells and whistles, but they are a luxury not a need. Trimmers that trim off the shoulder datum are also great, but you need consistent shoulders to get consistent trim length. The Lee case length gauges and their associated trimmer are an exceptional value. They are as consistent as anything I have used, but you are relegated to one length (not a big deal, but it is a consideration) unless you modify the stop with a file.

Area 419 aluminium powder funnel kit with drop tube: A luxury, but nice.

Sinclair concentricity gauge:$120 USD One of those things I'm glad I bought. Not free, but not extremely expensive either. I bought mine on sale and went with a dial and not digital to keep costs down.

Sinclair nut comparator: $20 USD A cheap simple way to keep track of COAL using the ogive.

Sinclair bump gauges: $15 plus $8 USD Not an expensive tool that really opens your eyes to where you are moving your brass. This step can be accomplished with "feel", but sometimes you are out in left field without knowing it.

Sinclair COAL tool: $35 USD A surprisingly simple and inexpensive tool that will also open your eyes to where the lands actually are.

Dial Calliper: Cheaper than a good digital one and kinda bomb proof.

Redding FL busing dies: I like the floating bushing, the ability to control neck tension, and to FL size my cases. I buy the sizing die alone to save cash

Forster seating dies: I like a sleeve when seating bullets. I have found that the seating process wreaks havoc on concentricity. I use the non micromoter dies to save dollars.

Machinist pin gauges: These are cheap, a few dollars each, and I use them to determine neck tension. I have found the conventional methods for this to be unreliable.

Sinclair expander mandrels: I find I need those or expander balls to iron out necks. A non necessity, but I think they are $80 a piece and the die body less than $40

Lee priming tools: I haven't found a priming tool with more value. It works great. I like the originals and wish I had five of them.

Lee "O" press for bullet pulling: A $40 press that works for this one job well.

This is why I think guys should think this through a bit. It would have been cheaper for me to gather these over a bit of time than to replace later.

Often times the tools/ equipment reloaders prefer is based on actual use. For instance I load about 1000 precision rounds for 308 and 300 wm every year plus 500 give or take hunting/ plinking rounds for multiple
Calibers. My preferred equipment doesn't include any of your specific choice tools. Not saying your choice is bad in any ways just different. Often guys getting into rolling their own army even sure if the hobby is something they will love. I like having two sets. One is permanent set top in my gun room the other is a mobile unit for loading on the range/ or wherever. Because my gun room is a detached building I like to be able to some brass prep and such in the house while watching a movie with my family. I think it's wise to evaluate what you need/want out of your reloads( volume included) and buy specific tools to accomplish that. ie...lee trimmer is a great affordable cutter, but I would not want to run 3-400 223 brass through them for a three gun set up or even 200pcs of 300 wm for a long range outing...I try to buy items that fit well with my intentions at the time...if intentions change you can always add/ upgrade.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
snipped much good reporting

I have adjustable small hole gauge sets, tube & C frame micrometers, and several types of stock and custom modified Lee, Hornady, Redding & Sinclair mandrels and body systems, but suspect that some ‘machinist pin gauges’ would be nice additions.
Did you purchase a set or individual gauges?
What sizes do you find most useful?
Can you provide a URL for a supplier for individual size ‘machinist pin gauges’?

Can you provide a URL for the Sinclair mandrel system you use?

Do you have Lee collet & mandrel neck dies?

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Are you deliberately ignoring the fact that Lee produces a lot more then just the Lee Loader, or Lee wack it with a mallet as you call it?

They do in fact produce a very number of very competitive presses and a good selection of dies to go with them.

As for your $1,200.00 comment, to you maybe, to me and others it's more then a whole month's income. Or to put it another way, more then 10 percent of my yearly gross.

To me that is a substantial amount of money, for one part of a system.

Especially in light of the fact that I can buy a complete system for that amount of money.
The fact that you missed the entire point of my post so you could defend your choice to buy Lee products say's much... the point is, buy what you can afford....but don't expect match quality from bargain basement components.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
I have adjustable small hole gauge sets, tube & C frame micrometers, and several types of stock and custom modified Lee, Hornady, Redding & Sinclair mandrels and body systems, but suspect that some ‘machinist pin gauges’ would be nice additions.
Did you purchase a set or individual gauges?
What sizes do you find most useful?
Can you provide a URL for a supplier for individual size ‘machinist pin gauges’?

Can you provide a URL for the Sinclair mandrel system you use?

Do you have Lee collet & mandrel neck dies?

Good Luck, YMMV.
I use Meyer pin gauges and buy the separately I use five that are smaller than bullet diameter in one thou increments.

https://www.meyergage.com

https://www.sinclairintl.com/search/...drel&ksubmit=y

I have and have used lee collet dies but prefer others.

-Billy Molls